TDP vs Total power consumption?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gran172

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
Hey, i have a I5-4590, on intels website it says "TDP:84w" i've read some information regarding cpu power consumption and i know that tdp does not equal total power consumption, but is it at least close to it's maximum power consumption? There was an article on toms that showed the I5 going as high as 120w while gaming, could it 40w off it's maximum consumption? Is there anyway to know it's maximum power consumption? Most sites show it's tdp only

Solution
You've got enough to cope with your system as is, do not OC. do not upgrade the GPU (unless it decreases electrical power like a 970 might).
You're mistaking the Radeon 290/390 for the 380/285 (same card). The TDP of the 380 is 190w. THG did a review of the 380X (which draws more power than a 380) and found their card drew an average of 185w during gaming:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-r9-390x-r9-380-r7-370,4178-9.html

Gaming_r_600x510.png

Anandtech found their entire system draw ~300w while gaming, with an R9 380 + Intel Core i7-4960X @ 4.2GHz, which is a very power hungry Intel CPU.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9784/the-amd-radeon-r9-380x-review/13

78761.png

You should be fine.

EDIT: For what it's worth, AMD GPUs are much more power hungry than NV ones. They provide better performance per dollar, but when it comes time to upgrade, you might find an NV card ends up being a cheaper solution at a given performance level, than an AMD GPU + new power supply.

I assume that's GPU only, but that could well be an error in their measuring equipment, or perhaps it was a very brief spike in power consumption for whatever reason. I doubt it's the latter as the power circuitry on the card shouldn't allow that, but I can't rule it out.

Regardless, a quality 430w power supply should be able to provide 430w continuously and more for very brief periods. You generally want to oversize your power supply a bit to prevent overworking it, but I expect you're still well within safe margins, depending on what brand and age your current unit is.

That's a 380X and you've got a 380?

gran172

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
"Registering almost 185W, the MSI R9 380 Gaming 2G comes in approximately 10W higher than its comparison card" Difference between both is really really small, not sure if the 380x higher frequency would make the power consumption more unstable but most sites show 10w difference between both at most

That's how much is allowed, not the actual maximum TDP. You didn't enable all hardware monitors; therefore you can't see the maximum value. Click the little blue icon at the bottom right and enable all monitors, then you'll have a lot more info.