teaching opportunities for someone with MS Comp Sci

jballew7

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
I'm currently an undergraduate in a BS Computer Science program. When I graduate I plan on working in the industry for a while. I'll also get my MS in Comp Sci while I do this. Anyways, after having worked the industry for a while and have real world experience I think it may be nice to go in to teaching. So, the question is, what all could I teach with my masters? Obviously computer science, but what about other subjects? Like lower level math, English, etc.. Not saying I want to instruct any one of these but just using them as examples. I have a calculus teacher who also teachers a humanities course. So I know people can cross over. But to what extent?

Thanks

Solution
Depends on the educational institution and what they may require at any given time.

Lower level courses have more flexibility: e.g., a physics major could teach intro math classes. A math major is less likely to be able to teach intro physics.. But if he or she minored in Physics - maybe so.

Maybe you would sub a few times, prove your worth, and the Department Head would welcome you on board. Maybe with a contigency that you complete a few higher level classes in the discipline you are teaching.

Narrows down to your ability to effectively teach the classes within the discipline/degree path being offered by the institution.

And how far that institution is willing to stretch their credentialing and still remain a viable degree...

Ralston18

Titan
Depends on the educational institution and what they may require at any given time.

Lower level courses have more flexibility: e.g., a physics major could teach intro math classes. A math major is less likely to be able to teach intro physics.. But if he or she minored in Physics - maybe so.

Maybe you would sub a few times, prove your worth, and the Department Head would welcome you on board. Maybe with a contigency that you complete a few higher level classes in the discipline you are teaching.

Narrows down to your ability to effectively teach the classes within the discipline/degree path being offered by the institution.

And how far that institution is willing to stretch their credentialing and still remain a viable degree awarding institution.

Overall if you meet the criteria for a position then that is what matters. But it is the institution makes that determination.

Solution