News TeamGroup Goes All in on Active SSD Cooling With a Trio of Towers

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
I would love these as long as they have THEIR OWN temperature sensor to turn on the fan only when needed. If their fan runs all the time then they are useless as they make way too much noise. I have a similar one and had to just set the fan really low in the bios at a fixed speed. To make it really worthwhile, it needs to run only when needed.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Waiting for a Steampunk design :)

All overkill though, even Optane 110mm 905p, only topped out at 10W. This is more of a stylistic choice, just like water cooling Ram sticks or Mobo chipsets. Purely for aesthetics, although I do like the routing ability some of the WC motherboards bring, just could never personally justify the cost.

This is one of the many reasons M.2 instead of U.2 was a huge mistake. While these are likely overkill PCIe 5.0 SSDs definitely need a higher level of cooling than anything prior. Personally I'd just like to have the SSD heat source away from CPU/GPU, but I'll be sticking with PCIe 4.0 drives for the foreseeable future anyways.

Jaxstarke9977

Reputable
Nov 8, 2020
I do want a PCIe 5.0 SSD but I don't know if I have the room for a cooler. My M.2 drive slot on my ASUS Prime X670-p Wifi is sandwiched between my GPU and my CPU cooler. Seems like a heatsink would do nothing but absorb heat coming off the GPU backplate.

purpleduggy

Proper
Apr 19, 2023
Yeah no thank you. I am plenty happy with my PCIe 4.0 drive that max out the 4x bus without needing cooling on par with a nuclear reactor. My CPU and GPU are creating enough heat and those heat-sinks are unsightly.
laughs in 12GB/s. the most significant OS, Server and Gaming performance improvement will be PCIe 5.0 nVME drives. the first batch of them will still be slow at 12GB/s. There will soon be drives capable of hitting 30GB/s, fully outperforming DDR4's bandwidth. Thats Gigabyte per second, not gigabit. RAM speed SSDs are here. PCIe 5 nvme is already near twice as fast as DDR3.

Reactions: Jaxstarke9977

purpleduggy

Proper
Apr 19, 2023
I do want a PCIe 5.0 SSD but I don't know if I have the room for a cooler. My M.2 drive slot on my ASUS Prime X670-p Wifi is sandwiched between my GPU and my CPU cooler. Seems like a heatsink would do nothing but absorb heat coming off the GPU backplate.
dont worry, vertical m.2 drives are coming. meaning they will slot in vertically with a steel bracket, instead of flush against the motherboard.