Tech: Hoei/cinematronics vector monitor

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

Hi I have a Star Castle made by Hoei the monitor is different than the
Cinematronics one. The problem I have is the brightness is low, you can turn
it up but it goes out of focus and can't be adjusted. Also in order to have
the screen bright enough to view everything you can see the points where the
vectors join together like a spiders web. I have tried all the adjustments
on the monitor but no luck. Is this likely to be a bad tube or Just a Cap
change? Any info would be a great help. Thanks

Could be a bad tube... my original Star Castle monitor suffered from
the same problem. The way I worked around it (until I got a new tube)
was by attaching a resistor to the output of the brightness pot... not
sure if this would be an appropriate fix for you, but do a Google
search for it and give it a shot.

Rob

I want to say that this was not my experience, but it was a few years
ago (cloudy memory), and on the face of it, that makes perfect
sense.... it should produce the same problem.

Aside from the tube, what about the Z-channel amp? I haven't looked at
one of these monitors in a long time, but perhaps that amp is bad?
I've seen G05s do that... I know they're totally different than the
monitors Cinematronics used, though.

"simon" <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi I have a Star Castle made by Hoei the monitor is different than the
> Cinematronics one. The problem I have is the brightness is low, you can
> turn
> it up but it goes out of focus and can't be adjusted. Also in order to
> have
> the screen bright enough to view everything you can see the points where
> the
> vectors join together like a spiders web. I have tried all the adjustments
> on the monitor but no luck. Is this likely to be a bad tube or Just a Cap
> change? Any info would be a great help. Thanks

Probably the tube.Seems a lot of the Star Castles I've worked on over the
years have
had weak tubes.Good news is that the b/w tubes respond very well to
rejuvenation and
generally have a long life span afterwards.

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

Well the brightness will turn up but when you turn it up bright enough to
view all the graphics you can see the spot in the middle and all the vectors
joined together, surley this would happen if I put a resistor in also
"Rob Carroll" <robert.carroll30@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Could be a bad tube... my original Star Castle monitor suffered from
> the same problem. The way I worked around it (until I got a new tube)
> was by attaching a resistor to the output of the brightness pot... not
> sure if this would be an appropriate fix for you, but do a Google
> search for it and give it a shot.
>
> Rob

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

That seems to be ok as I get a change in brightness when I adjust the Z gain
on the monitor and it goes out of focus the same as if you adjust the
brightness , It a hoei monitor in this game not a cinematronics one.