TECH: Popeye sound stumper

Was working on a Popeye machine for a guy today and I'm
stumped....hopefully someone can help me.

The guy lost sound....it went real faint one day. Someone rebuilt his
sound amp, but did it badly, and there was no sound at all then.

I rebuilt the amp and got the faint sound back. Grounds check out.
Speaker is operational. Volume pot checks out.

What else should I be looking at here?

Popeye has the EZ20 Sanyo Monitor. If your sound is not on, Chances are
you'll need to rebuild the audio section of the monitor. Bob Roberts
sells the EZ20 audio rebuild kit which is very inexpensive. Rebuild
that section of the monitor and make sure all solder joints are o.k. as
well as the header / molex pins and you should be good to go.

John

Um....

Already did that...as I said. Was the first thing I did, in fact.

Didn't work.

But thank you.

matt wrote:
> Like Rob said, replace the electrolytics in the audio output section
of the
> game board. I've had the same thing happen to me with Cheap Squawk
sounds
> boards on pinball machines.
>
> --
> Matt
> M and M Electronics
> 6661 Stanford Ranch Road
> Suite F, PMB 105
> Rocklin, Ca 95677
> 916-275-5871
> <scott.phoenix@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Was working on a Popeye machine for a guy today and I'm
> > stumped....hopefully someone can help me.
> >
> > The guy lost sound....it went real faint one day. Someone rebuilt
his
> > sound amp, but did it badly, and there was no sound at all then.
> >
> > I rebuilt the amp and got the faint sound back. Grounds check out.
> > Speaker is operational. Volume pot checks out.
> >
> > What else should I be looking at here?

Next step would be to check the connectors to ensure they are good and
finally, turn the volume knob on the chassis to see if it goes higher
or lower. I would also not discount that the sound pot is bad. Turn it
back/forth a few times and see if that makes a difference. Check for
dry solder joints on the legs of the sound pot and finally, check to
see if you're getting the proper resistance on the sound pot. It could
be bad.

John

Ran into a similar issue with a Neo Geo... turned out to be the
electrolytics in the sound section. Replaced those and the sound came
back...

Of course, I wish I'd thought of that before spending like $30 on amps and
DACs. :^\

Don't know Popeye boards at all, but that might be worth a shot.

Later,
Rob