[SOLVED] Temperature issue

Jun 28, 2020
Hi everyone I have a problem that I don't understand with the temperature, I replaced my cooler with a water cooler, thinking that was the problem but nothing has changed, I have no virus or malware and I have not made some strange updates to my PC, could you help me? thank you all

Solution
If the issue is just that, from time to time, the rad fans speed up a lot for a short time (a minute or so) and then slow down again, that is not a real problem. There are some CPU chips that seem to get a short "burst" of activity and heat generation when their load changes, and then calm down again quickly. This can be triggered even by background actions that appear to have nothing to do with the work you are doing.

There's another phenomenon possible that is harmless but may be alarming. The normal method of controlling fan speeds often involves setting the speed in steps, not along a smooth continuous gradation. So ANY speed change up or down appears to be a sudden big change. If it just happens that the normal operating...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
It depends on what temperature you HAD and now still have, on what the system workload is when you measure, and on what you expect. I would presume that you are concerned about the CPU temperature, and that is is being controlled automatically by the CPU_FAN header, which is the default configuration. That automatic control system has a pre-set target for temperature as measured by a sensor inside the CPU chip, and what it does is vary the speed of the CPU cooler (fan, formerly, and now the fans on the radiator) to keep that measured temperature on that target. The fact you have not change the settings of that automatic system means it is still trying (and succeeding) to keep that measured temp on that same target. So MAYBE what's really wrong is that you expected something your CPU does NOT need.

Workload is another major factor. At low to medium workloads, that automatic temp control system will achieve its goal (keep close to target) by adjsting the fan speed. But at very high workloads, a poor cooling system at full speed still cannot remove heat fast enough, and the actual measured temp inside the CPU chip will get higher that we want. In that situation, with the cooler running as fast as possible, the autmatic system can do no more. THAT is when changing to a better cooling system, with greater PEAK cooling capcity, will alter the story and keep your CPU close to target temp. Thus, IF you have replaced a limited-capacity cooling system with a better one, the actual impact will he seen mostly when your workload is very heavy, and not a moderate workloads.

popatim

Titan
Location of the PC is also a big factor. It needs access to cool room air as well as a place to vent the hot air back into the room. I've had people put perfectly fine PCs in little cabinets and the hot air just circulates back into it getting hotter and hotter until the PC warnings go off or it just shuts down.

Jun 28, 2020
Hi everyone I have a problem that I don't understand with the temperature, I replaced my cooler with a water cooler, thinking that was the problem but nothing has changed, I have no virus or malware and I have not made some strange updates to my PC, could you help me? thank you all
It depends on what temperature you HAD and now still have, on what the system workload is when you measure, and on what you expect. I would presume that you are concerned about the CPU temperature, and that is is being controlled automatically by the CPU_FAN header, which is the default configuration. That automatic control system has a pre-set target for temperature as measured by a sensor inside the CPU chip, and what it does is vary the speed of the CPU cooler (fan, formerly, and now the fans on the radiator) to keep that measured temperature on that target. The fact you have not change the settings of that automatic system means it is still trying (and succeeding) to keep that measured temp on that same target. So MAYBE what's really wrong is that you expected something your CPU does NOT need.

Workload is another major factor. At low to medium workloads, that automatic temp control system will achieve its goal (keep close to target) by adjsting the fan speed. But at very high workloads, a poor cooling system at full speed still cannot remove heat fast enough, and the actual measured temp inside the CPU chip will get higher that we want. In that situation, with the cooler running as fast as possible, the autmatic system can do no more. THAT is when changing to a better cooling system, with greater PEAK cooling capcity, will alter the story and keep your CPU close to target temp. Thus, IF you have replaced a limited-capacity cooling system with a better one, the actual impact will he seen mostly when your workload is very heavy, and not a moderate workloads.
to be honest i dont know what Temp i had before but i never heard my fan go so fast like an helicopeter, i use cpuid monitor and if i only opne League of leggends it goes at 70-75c° i dont think is that normal, this never ever happened before

Jun 28, 2020
i
Location of the PC is also a big factor. It needs access to cool room air as well as a place to vent the hot air back into the room. I've had people put perfectly fine PCs in little cabinets and the hot air just circulates back into it getting hotter and hotter until the PC warnings go off or it just shuts down.
removed both panels from my case and still the temp goes like 60-65 with NO REASON AT ALL i just show the desktop and fan go up and down with speed

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If the issue is just that, from time to time, the rad fans speed up a lot for a short time (a minute or so) and then slow down again, that is not a real problem. There are some CPU chips that seem to get a short "burst" of activity and heat generation when their load changes, and then calm down again quickly. This can be triggered even by background actions that appear to have nothing to do with the work you are doing.

There's another phenomenon possible that is harmless but may be alarming. The normal method of controlling fan speeds often involves setting the speed in steps, not along a smooth continuous gradation. So ANY speed change up or down appears to be a sudden big change. If it just happens that the normal operating temperature of your CPU is near the temperature where such a fan speed change is required, it will appear to jump up and down often. If that is happening and annoys you, you can set a custom temperature "curve" in the BIOS Setup configuration for your CPU_FAN header so that the place where the fan speed should change is at a slightly different temperature, and minimize this "jumping" effect.

Solution
Jun 28, 2020

There's another phenomenon possible that is harmless but may be alarming. The normal method of controlling fan speeds often involves setting the speed in steps, not along a smooth continuous gradation. So ANY speed change up or down appears to be a sudden big change. If it just happens that the normal operating temperature of your CPU is near the temperature where such a fan speed change is required, it will appear to jump up and down often. If that is happening and annoys you, you can set a custom temperature "curve" in the BIOS Setup configuration for your CPU_FAN header so that the place where the fan speed should change is at a slightly different temperature, and minimize this "jumping" effect.
Ok but i dont understand why this never happend a couple of weeks ago and now it act like this ? it strange having the fan a max speed just playing LoL it didnt happened before why now it act like this ? its really nothing so important ?

Jun 28, 2020
What are the full specs of your PC? That should've been posted first.

AMD FX-8320
Gigabyte 970A-UD3P
BIOS F2g
12 GB DDR3

(GEIL 2 x 4GB 1600 CL9)
(Elpida 1 x 2GB 1333 CL9)
(Kingston 1 x 2GB 1333 CL9)

Western Digital HDD 500GB 7200RPM
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP 1

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My EYES...

Well, I at least know that you have an FX-8320 with a GA-970A-UD3P motherboard.
You need to recheck the thermals using AMD Overdrive: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4645-amd-overdrive.html
What you are seeing now is not accurate; how the FX chips reported thermals is different from what most apps use.

The FX-8320 has a Thermal Margin of 61.1C. When you use Overdrive, it's going to run DOWN to zero - even into the negative range if cooling is really bad.

ronpar

Reputable
Aug 17, 2016
Can I ask a question? Are you online when the system heats up, or off? My laptop runs cool when I am offline! but once I get online, Firefox, spikes my memory through the roof! So I switched to Google Chrome, and had the same problem! They are memory hogs, and when memory is hiked, pc/laptop heats up! So I had to install the ONETAB extension add on from the Google Chrome store to cut down on the memory hogs, to help keep it cool! LOL! Not saying this is your problem, but it sure was mine! One last thing if it is not the above, look around your processor vents and fan and see if there is any dust build up, if so, this will also make your PC run hot! Regards!

Jun 28, 2020
Can I ask a question? Are you online when the system heats up, or off? My laptop runs cool when I am offline! but once I get online, Firefox, spikes my memory through the roof! So I switched to Google Chrome, and had the same problem! They are memory hogs, and when memory is hiked, pc/laptop heats up! So I had to install the ONETAB extension add on from the Google Chrome store to cut down on the memory hogs, to help keep it cool! LOL! Not saying this is your problem, but it sure was mine! One last thing if it is not the above, look around your processor vents and fan and see if there is any dust build up, if so, this will also make your PC run hot! Regards!
i also had the same perception, unfortunately my pc did a system reset and now the problem look solved o_O

Jun 28, 2020
My EYES...

Well, I at least know that you have an FX-8320 with a GA-970A-UD3P motherboard.
You need to recheck the thermals using AMD Overdrive: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4645-amd-overdrive.html
What you are seeing now is not accurate; how the FX chips reported thermals is different from what most apps use.

The FX-8320 has a Thermal Margin of 61.1C. When you use Overdrive, it's going to run DOWN to zero - even into the negative range if cooling is really bad.
Ops sorry for the matrix effect xD , My PC randomly start a system restore....and the problem look resolved now the fan is quiet even if i start a CPU burn test WTH!! o_O