Question temperature problem in rtx 4070s card

Oct 2, 2024
My gainward 4070s panther card bought in july 2024.

first tests after purchase:
room temperature 26 degrees
hot spot temp: 77, fan speed 1500rpm

test october 2024
room temp 21 degrees
hot spot: 87, fan speed 1650rpm

Is it normal for the paste to dry in such a short time?

ive never had a card's paste or pads go bad over the 15 or so years i've been using strictly dedicated cards, most in use for ~2-3years each.

maybe if this is a seriously generic construct it would happen.

but, I also never run my cards hotter than ~65° at max.

Oct 2, 2024
My gainward 4070s panther card bought in july 2024.

first tests after purchase:
room temperature 26 degrees
hot spot temp: 77, fan speed 1500rpm

test october 2024
room temp 21 degrees
hot spot: 87, fan speed 1650rpm

Is it normal for the paste to dry in such a short time?
The thermal paste should definitely still be there. It could be the result of insufficient airflow. What is your current case? What temperature does the card run at when idle? Alternatively, you could install GPU tweak III and manually increase fan speed within safe parameters.

Oct 2, 2024
I have had the same computer case since July. There is almost no dust (it is impossible to be perfect). The only change is the temperature in the room. It is much colder in the room now (over 5 degrees less). My previous card did not change its operating temperature for over two years of use (rtx 3000 series). I am even more surprised by the poor quality of the paste in the new card

I don't remember (and didn't write down) what the idle temperature was when the card was new.
Now the card is idle at 31 degrees (hot spot: 40 degrees), the fans don't work in idle

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2024
I have had the same computer case since July. There is almost no dust (it is impossible to be perfect). The only change is the temperature in the room. It is much colder in the room now (over 5 degrees less). My previous card did not change its operating temperature for over two years of use (rtx 3000 series). I am even more surprised by the poor quality of the paste in the new card

I don't remember (and didn't write down) what the idle temperature was when the card was new.
Now the card is idle at 31 degrees (hot spot: 40 degrees), the fans don't work in idle
Well, without sufficient information, we cannot deduce the cause. My guess is insufficient airflow. It is highly unlikely the thermal paste on the GPU has worn off.

Oct 3, 2024

Graphic card temp at idle at 31 degrees, i think it's normal. I usually have iddle temp at 40 or ever higher when idle. Try solution from the post before. Hope work well.

Oct 2, 2024
this is the same casing, the same airflow. Only the room is cooler now and yet the card heats up more. In my opinion it is the paste's fault, it is very low quality and dried out quickly. I do not understand why they saved on the paste, since the service and repair of the card will be more expensive than the cost of the paste.