[SOLVED] Temporarily Unavailable when Reinstalling OS X Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.

sms1295

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I decided to wipe out everything and do a clean install for Mavericks for my iMac (late 2011). I went through the process of reformatting the HD. I go into Reinstall OS X and move through the process of providing my Apple ID and password. All looks fine and the I get the message “This item is temporarily unavailable”. I’ve tried this several time over the last couple of weeks. Any suggestion as to how I can reinstall Mavericks?

Would the following also be options:

Purchase Maverick from Apple to install?
Could install Yosemite via the disk that came with my new iMac?

Thanks

Solution
Use your new iMac to download a newer version of OS X (Yosemite or Sierra) and create an install USB stick. You can then use this to install the OS on the old iMAc.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
MERGED QUESTION
Question from sms1295 : "Install OS X"

Have you tried an internet recovery? http://osxdaily.com/2014/12/14/reinstall-os-x-mac-internet-recovery/

sms1295

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I have tried the Internet Recovery method with the same results (This item is temporarily unavailable). I've read on multiple post that Apple isn't very help working with you on this type of issue. What I've now decided to do is is purchase a recover disk. I can get one for around $20.00 and hopefully solve my issue.

This iMac was the first Apple product we purchased and I now know the value of creating a 'Time Machine" for a restore.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Restore disk sounds like the best solution and it is cheap to boot.
Once you have the iMac running exactly like you want you can actually make an exact copy of your hard drive onto an external USB stick or drive. Use SuperDuper, it is free and works great. Then if you ever want to go back to a fresh install, you simply boot to the USB drive, and use SuperDuper again to clone the USB to the onboard drive. I do this every time I update the OS in case something goes wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.