[SOLVED] Temps issues 11700k, Prime 95

• Thread starter Deleted member 362816
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 362816

Little confused here, Doesn't matter what test I run prime 95 within seconds pegs my CPU at 100C

OCCT Stress Tests and gaming never sees above 61C.

Any ideas here?

Solution
PS. I just realized you may have changed the AVX2 clocks, because you overclocked. Normally they have a lower clock offset, it’s possible you deactivated that and then it’s absolutely no surprise temps sky rocket because the clocks are too high for AVX2.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Prime95 is a extreme stress test, and also pretty much puts unrealistic stress on the CPU. OCCT is a graphics stress test as far as I know, so it’s no wonder it doesn’t peg the cpu.

However your temps are a bit high, which cooler are you using and is there good case ventilation?

D

Deleted member 362816

Prime95 is a extreme stress test, and also pretty much puts unrealistic stress on the CPU. OCCT is a graphics stress test as far as I know, so it’s no wonder it doesn’t peg the cpu.

However your temps are a bit high, which cooler are you using and is there good case ventilation?

As stated above, My temps in OCCT Linpack (cpu only) and during gaming even with CPU intensive games is never above 61c 5GHZ @1.350V that is a pretty dang good temp for that.

The issues only happens when I use Prime95, and it just goes to 100C instantly so something isn't right.

Fractal Torrent Nano 180MM Intake, Hyper 212 Black.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
As stated above, My temps in OCCT Linpack (cpu only) and during gaming even with CPU intensive games is never above 61c 5GHZ @1.350V that is a pretty dang good temp for that.

The issues only happens when I use Prime95, and it just goes to 100C instantly so something isn't right.

Fractal Torrent Nano 180MM Intake, Hyper 212 Black.
Alright, well it could be because Prime95 uses AVX2, I’m not sure it uses AVX512, that’s one of few PC architectures that actually support it properly. I wouldn’t care about it if it’s only P95, real world apps are way more important.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
PS. I just realized you may have changed the AVX2 clocks, because you overclocked. Normally they have a lower clock offset, it’s possible you deactivated that and then it’s absolutely no surprise temps sky rocket because the clocks are too high for AVX2.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I would recommend going in and resetting defaults for the BIOS. Check temps with the CPU running base stock. Make sure when you are enabling XMP (if so) that the CPU ratio isn't also being changed. Think it would be prudent to test at base stock/no XMP, then try with XMP enabled.

D

Deleted member 362816

I would recommend going in and resetting defaults for the BIOS. Check temps with the CPU running base stock. Make sure when you are enabling XMP (if so) that the CPU ratio isn't also being changed. Think it would be prudent to test at base stock/no XMP, then try with XMP enabled.

True going to try this as we speak will report back. Never stress tested it at stock settings before.

D

Deleted member 362816

So, yeah 88c max after a few min with stock settings Avg Clock 4100, Avg Voltage 1.275

Quite a bit lower and it took time to crawl up to 88c vs seconds to get to 100c at 1.350V 5GHZ.

Out of pure curiosity is there any reason to overclock a 11700k paired with a rx 6800 at 1440p or should I just leave it alone?

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
So, yeah 88c max after a few min with stock settings Avg Clock 4100, Avg Voltage 1.275

Quite a bit lower and it took time to crawl up to 88c vs seconds to get to 100c at 1.350V 5GHZ.

Out of pure curiosity is there any reason to overclock a 11700k paired with a rx 6800 at 1440p or should I just leave it alone?
So my suspicion was right.

Well you can observe the GPU usage with afterburner or Radeon overlay tool if it has that function, if it’s pegged at 99%, you’re in the GPU limit and don’t need more CPU power. If it’s not pegged you do need it. Generally I think the 11700K has high enough standard clocks.

D

Deleted member 362816

So my suspicion was right.

Well you can observe the GPU usage with afterburner or Radeon overlay tool if it has that function, if it’s pegged at 99%, you’re in the GPU limit and don’t need more CPU power. If it’s not pegged you do need it. Generally I think the 11700K has high enough standard clocks.

Yeah I don't think I play any games that require 99% gpu usage tbh, I am old school haha.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Been on Ryzen since first release I was just so use to setting a allcore, Haven't been on intel at all since the 7700k
Oh yea, for me it was quite the opposite. I got to Ryzen when overclocking was actually detrimental and out of fashion so I only activated PBO and called it a day, unlike first gen. I was used before with my 3960X to overclock everything by hand and even other CPUs before that. I actually like it more this way, I mean with Ryzen. It’s so efficient.

D

Deleted member 362816

Oh yea, for me it was quite the opposite. I got to Ryzen when overclocking was actually detrimental and out of fashion so I only activated PBO and called it a day, unlike first gen. I was used before with my 3960X to overclock everything by hand and even other CPUs before that. I actually like it more this way, I mean with Ryzen. It’s so efficient.

Very true, I was just one that always like the CPU to always run at max freq don't know why just always like it but it seems pointless anymore.