Question Temps on 3700X + Dark Rock Pro 4 are suddenly way too high

robogamernl

Commendable
Apr 6, 2018
So I've had this setup for about half a year now and the temps have always been fine, the CPU would never exceed ~65C under a full AIDA64 load.

Decided to do a AIDA64 run today to see if my system might be a bit unstable (a few games had been crashing) and after a few minutes the temperature was at 97C. I reset the BIOS and the temps went down to 87C. Turned my OC back on and now it tops out at 80C.

There is barely any hot air coming out of the PC and the heat pipes and fin array of the cooler are not hot at all. I'd think it might be an issue with the cooler but it worked before so I don't see how it can be 'broken' all of a sudden. I suspect the sensors on the CPU might be broken but I'm not quite sure.

My full PC + cooling specs:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with Dark Rock Pro 4 (thermal paste from the DRP4 applied)
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2060 SUPER Gaming X
  • Mobo: MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
  • SSD1: Intel 660p 1TB
  • SSD2: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
  • RAM: G.Skill Flare X 16GB
  • Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500
  • Case fans: 3x Pure Wings 140mm (2 at the front as intake, 1 at the back as an exhaust)

I hope one of you can help me so that I can go back to reasonable temps on my CPU.
Thank you in advance.

robogamernl

Commendable
Apr 6, 2018
Remove the cooler. Clean off the old thermal paste. Replace the thermal paste. Remount the cooler. Thats really only thing that can be done.
Can the thermal paste really go bad this fast? I think I have some left but I don't know if I want to reinstall the entire cooler, it only really gets too hot in a stress-test. When gaming it's fine but it should be fine in a stress-test too with the huge cooler I have on it.
All the other PC's I've had have been fine by using the same paste for years on end, so it would really surprise me if this one has degraded or something.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Fans on cooler rotating or running at correct RPM under load?

Has the case been moved or somehow jarred which could cause the cooler to come partially detached or otherwise cause an issue with mounting?

Does the system appear to throttle significantly?

Does the system temp drop to a very normal level at idle once load is removed, or does it stay very high and slowly drop?

Does something like HWMonitor show correct CPU core speeds at load, or are they throttled?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
HWMonitor? For shame Rubix, it's a Ryzen. That means Ryzen Master or HWInfo (sensors only) 😉

But it's the thought that counts.

Temps are funky things, often dictated by sources you don't think about. Such as windows updates making motherboard chipset drivers obsolete, updates to Aida64 resetting defaults to run AVX and linpack, when those were previously turned off etc. Even a bios update can change power plan/pbo usage by changing internal voltages and current usage at max loads.

Now if nothing is changed or updated since the last time you ran the test, I could see cause for immediate concern, but if there has been updates/changes then that might be nothing to do with the pc in general, but everything to do with how it responds.

Reactions: DMAN999

chun2maru

Commendable
Dec 8, 2019
did u check ur heatsink to see if there's a dust that make the wind cant flow , i have this simmiliar issue but after i clean the heatsink and repaste all back to normal
60-64 temp on high load

robogamernl

Commendable
Apr 6, 2018
Fans on cooler rotating or running at correct RPM under load?

Has the case been moved or somehow jarred which could cause the cooler to come partially detached or otherwise cause an issue with mounting?

Does the system appear to throttle significantly?

Does the system temp drop to a very normal level at idle once load is removed, or does it stay very high and slowly drop?

Does something like HWMonitor show correct CPU core speeds at load, or are they throttled?
Case hasn't been moved apart from maybe pushing it a few inches to clean my behind it, shouldn't be an issue.

No throttling, even at 80+ degrees. CPU keeps boosting to over 4Ghz as it does when the temperatures would be normal.

Temps return back to normal quickly after the load drops. It's back to 45C in around 5-10 seconds and then slowly goes back to 35-40C. This is the weirdest thing about it because the cooler does do it's job by absorbing the heat after the load drops, but it doesn't when there is a load (cooler doesn't get hot at all, not even the direct heatpipes.)

robogamernl

Commendable
Apr 6, 2018
did u check ur heatsink to see if there's a dust that make the wind cant flow , i have this simmiliar issue but after i clean the heatsink and repaste all back to normal
60-64 temp on high load
I'll try to check this later today, haven't really properly cleaned the cooler yet, only did the surface (so without disassembling it)

robogamernl

Commendable
Apr 6, 2018
HWMonitor? For shame Rubix, it's a Ryzen. That means Ryzen Master or HWInfo (sensors only) 😉

But it's the thought that counts.

Temps are funky things, often dictated by sources you don't think about. Such as windows updates making motherboard chipset drivers obsolete, updates to Aida64 resetting defaults to run AVX and linpack, when those were previously turned off etc. Even a bios update can change power plan/pbo usage by changing internal voltages and current usage at max loads.

Now if nothing is changed or updated since the last time you ran the test, I could see cause for immediate concern, but if there has been updates/changes then that might be nothing to do with the pc in general, but everything to do with how it responds.
No real updates, did reset Windows once but too the same 1909 version. Resetting really shouldn't make the temperatures get too absurdly high levels, should only help possible issues I'd think.

If it was a 5-10C difference I'd say yeah, something on the software side of things changed and now it's a little hotter. But what I am experiencing now is load temps 20-30C higher than what I normally have. (Interesting note: when playing a game the temperatures don't really get much higher than they usually would, normally at 50-55C, now at 60-65C, so only a 10C jump instead of the 20-30C when running AIDA64.)