[SOLVED] Temps on a i5-9600k with intel stock cooler (no OC)

Mar 25, 2022
Hello all :)

I'm asking this question because I've seen different answers online to diferent cases, I'd like to know what to do in mine's. (Temps in Celsius)

I just upgraded from i3-9100f to i5-9600k and I'm running the intel stock cooler.

I applied new thermal paste, obviously, but my temps while gaming go from 60-70 and specially in apex legends (my main game) they stay around 70-80, sometimes reaching 85.

Is this a problem? I can't afford a new cooler rn but i intend to do so asap, meanwhile is it safe for me to game?

Solution
a 9600K w/ a smallish 9100f cooler, I'd have expected 100C and subsequent throttling on most loads....(I'd be pleasantly surprised with only 80-85C temps)
Even a 12700k will run within okay temps on a 35-45 bucks cooler in games, especially when you tune it a little bit, so I'm actually not that surprised. And by that I mean staying beneath 80°C at room temperature in games, and 80°C are very rare spikes. I know someone who does that, her average temps are 50-60°C on the hot cores, depending on the game played. Normal room temperature. Situation and difference between cooler and CPU heat production should be somewhat similar here. I sometimes think people overestimate heat production of gaming loads.

That said, a new cooler is...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You must have good enough air flow in case? 85 isn't too bad and won't really damage processor but as you know, if ambient temp is lowish currently, then you'd want better cooler before the warmer months if don't have ac.

Also 9600k doesn't come with cooler and despite intel coolers being subpar anyway, you're using a cooler meant for lower power cpu which is a factor as well.

Reactions: cinzeiro
Mar 25, 2022
You must have good enough air flow in case? 85 isn't too bad and won't really damage processor but as you know, if ambient temp is lowish currently, then you'd want better cooler before the warmer months if don't have ac.

Also 9600k doesn't come with cooler and despite intel coolers being subpar anyway, you're using a cooler meant for lower power cpu which is a factor as well.

I actually just decided to open the case when playing Apex because it drops the temps down quite a lot (5-8ºC)
Yes, right now the ambient temp is kind of low, so I plan to upgrade to an artic freezer esports, is it good? My local pc shop recomended it

KyaraM

Admirable
a 9600K w/ a smallish 9100f cooler, I'd have expected 100C and subsequent throttling on most loads....(I'd be pleasantly surprised with only 80-85C temps)
Even a 12700k will run within okay temps on a 35-45 bucks cooler in games, especially when you tune it a little bit, so I'm actually not that surprised. And by that I mean staying beneath 80°C at room temperature in games, and 80°C are very rare spikes. I know someone who does that, her average temps are 50-60°C on the hot cores, depending on the game played. Normal room temperature. Situation and difference between cooler and CPU heat production should be somewhat similar here. I sometimes think people overestimate heat production of gaming loads.

That said, a new cooler is definitely a good idea the next couple months, and the Arctic cooler should be a decent upgrade.

Solution