Question Terrible CPU temps

Aug 14, 2024
I have an i5-13600K and the past week or so I have been unable to really use it due to absolutely terrible temps. The past week my temps have fluctuated greatly between 60-80 while idle, 1-3% load. Sometimes it's even 100c, like right now. If temps are low and I do try gaming temps are instantly 100c, 30-40% load. Doesn't matter what quality settings I have it on, very low all the way to ultra. Temps are perfect in bios, 50-55c no major fluctuations. I updated my bios an hour or two ago hoping that was the problem, but it's not and I'm at a loss.

Default BIOS settings, aio pump running at 100%. Fans are set to quiet and all of them except the top are set to GPU. Cooler fans are controlled by mobo. Using Lian Li Uni fans. Thermal paste was replaced about a month and a half ago. I can feel the water running through the tubes, one is really hot while the other is about room temp.

Screenshot-2024-08-14-195326.png

My previous idle temps were 50-55 and around 65-75 while gaming. Cinebench would always reach 100c on all cores, so I've never overclocked my CPU.

CPU: i5-13600K
Cooler: Lian Li Galahad 360, Top-Mounted
GPU: GTX 1080Ti
PSU: G.Skill PS850G 850 W
RAM: Corsair vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16)
Mobo: Asus Prime Z690-P Wifi D4

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Does the tubes for the AIO seem warm to the touch or cold? Is the cooling block the only thing that's heating up? What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Since you mentioned updating the BIOS, did you clear the CMOS after verifying your BIOS was flashed successfully? Clear the CMOS by disconnecting from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30secs, then replace the battery after 30mins.

This might be worth looking into.

Aug 14, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Does the tubes for the AIO seem warm to the touch or cold? Is the cooling block the only thing that's heating up? What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Since you mentioned updating the BIOS, did you clear the CMOS after verifying your BIOS was flashed successfully? Clear the CMOS by disconnecting from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30secs, then replace the battery after 30mins.

This might be worth looking into.
One tube is hot, the other is room temp. The whole block is warm to the touch. Everything else is fine.

The BIOS version I'm on now is 3403. I did not clear the CMOS after updating. I will do that now.

Those idle temps seem really bad period I would expect something in the 30s, but maybe 40s.

One tube being really hot sounds like your AIO isn't functioning correctly.

So, it's a cooler issue? I thought I just got unlucky in the silicon lottery.

So, it's a cooler issue? I thought I just got unlucky in the silicon lottery.
Running a little hot is one thing, but without some heavy OC there's no way your idle temps should be that high let alone gaming temps. You've got what should be an overkill cooler for a 13600K so even in a hot room unless there's zero airflow in your case there's something wrong with the cooling.

Aug 14, 2024
Running a little hot is one thing, but without some heavy OC there's no way your idle temps should be that high let alone gaming temps. You've got what should be an overkill cooler for a 13600K so even in a hot room unless there's zero airflow in your case there's something wrong with the cooling.
I've got 10 fans in my PC. Typical Nzxt h9 flow setup; Back and Top are exhaust while bottom and side are intake. I'll just make a warranty claim then. Thanks!

Reactions: thestryker