[SOLVED] Terrible FPS with 2070 super. Do you think I have bottleneck ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 30, 2020
I really need some help with my new setup!

Intel core i5 9600K - with OC to 4.9 Ghz
2070 Super ASUS - with OC enabled
16GB 2400 MHz memory
1TB HHD + 250GB SSD
2K 144hz ASUS display

I jot a custom build computer and Have been getting really bad FPS, FPS drops, Stuttering and high CPU usage.
I play games like GTA, COD MW, PUBG

I am getting substantially lower FPS on these games competed to many many videos on YouTube with my CPU & GPU combination.

I never reach a decent FPS for example
PUBG - Very high - avg 80 FPS
Call of duty MW - avg 70 fps

Tried every thing! Reinstall drivers, reinstall Windows, trying different, even going 1080p and low,
I monitored the usages of the CPU and it’s between 95-100% and the GPU is ~80%.

nothing really gets me to good 144 FPS that I can enjoy with my display!
Do you think the videos and reviews I’m seeing are wrong and actually the CPU bottlenecks the GPU ?

Last edited:
Solution

16GB 2400 MHz memory
1TB HHD + 250GB SSD
2K 144hz ASUS display

I jot a custom build computer and Have been getting really bad FPS, FPS drops, Stuttering and high CPU usage.

I am getting substantially lower FPS on these games competed to many many videos on YouTube with my CPU & GPU combination.

Tried every thing! Reinstall drivers, reinstall Windows, trying different, even going 1080p and low,
I monitored the usages of the CPU and it’s between 95-100% and the GPU is ~80%...
May 3, 2020

16GB 2400 MHz memory
1TB HHD + 250GB SSD
2K 144hz ASUS display

I monitored the usages of the CPU and it’s between 95-100% and the GPU is ~80%.

nothing really gets me to good 144 FPS that I can enjoy with my display!
Do you think the videos and reviews I’m seeing are wrong and actually the CPU bottlenecks the GPU ?
I have an I7-7700 and a GTX1070, 16Gb of 2400mhz RAM and a Kingston A2000 1Tb NVMe SSD. I run COD MW at 150+ FPS and Warzone at 90-110. ( Everything maxed)
All I'm gonna say is... Don't run it at 2K. Not worth it. You can go 1080p and you'll have an amazing experience.
If, however, you do want a higher-def experience, which I really don't get, since the difference is not that great... Consider an I7 and more SSD storage.
Plus... I'm gonma teach you a little trick. Enable G-SYNC compatibility on your NVIDIA Control Panel( provided you're connected via DisplayPort), turn off your FPS counter and just enjoy the game. G-SYNC will make sure you won't even notice a difference.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
May 3, 2020
I have an I7-7700 and a GTX1070, 16Gb of 2400mhz RAM and a Kingston A2000 1Tb NVMe SSD. I run COD MW at 150+ FPS and Warzone at 90-110. ( Everything maxed)
All I'm gonna say is... Don't run it at 2K. Not worth it. You can go 1080p and you'll have an amazing experience.
If, however, you do want a higher-def experience, which I really don't get, since the difference is not that great... Consider an I7 and more SSD storage.
Plus... I'm gonma teach you a little trick. Enable G-SYNC compatibility on your NVIDIA Control Panel( provided you're connected via DisplayPort), turn off your FPS counter and just enjoy the game. G-SYNC will make sure you won't even notice a difference.
PS: So much overclocking... Make sure your thermals aren't hurting your setup.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I really like this!
Some people get too hung up on their numbers that they end up not being able to enjoy actually playing the game.

Reactions: vascogt
May 3, 2020
I really like this!
Some people get too hung up on their numbers that they end up not being able to enjoy actually playing the game.
Exactly! I used to do that a lot (and still do when I buy a new game haha) but if you forget the numbers for a second you'll quickly realize it was very playable all along.