[SOLVED] Terrible FPS with 2070 super. Do you think I have bottleneck ?

Apr 30, 2020
I really need some help with my new setup!

Intel core i5 9600K - with OC to 4.9 Ghz
2070 Super ASUS - with OC enabled
16GB 2400 MHz memory
1TB HHD + 250GB SSD
2K 144hz ASUS display

I jot a custom build computer and Have been getting really bad FPS, FPS drops, Stuttering and high CPU usage.
I play games like GTA, COD MW, PUBG

I am getting substantially lower FPS on these games competed to many many videos on YouTube with my CPU & GPU combination.

I never reach a decent FPS for example
PUBG - Very high - avg 80 FPS
Call of duty MW - avg 70 fps

Tried every thing! Reinstall drivers, reinstall Windows, trying different, even going 1080p and low,
I monitored the usages of the CPU and it’s between 95-100% and the GPU is ~80%.

nothing really gets me to good 144 FPS that I can enjoy with my display!
Do you think the videos and reviews I’m seeing are wrong and actually the CPU bottlenecks the GPU ?

Last edited:
Solution
I really need some help with my new setup!

Intel core i5 9600K - with OC to 4.9 Ghz
2070 Super ASUS - with OC enabled
16GB 2400 MHz memory
1TB HHD + 250GB SSD
2K 144hz ASUS display

I jot a custom build computer and Have been getting really bad FPS, FPS drops, Stuttering and high CPU usage.
I play games like GTA, COD MW, PUBG

I am getting substantially lower FPS on these games competed to many many videos on YouTube with my CPU & GPU combination.

I never reach a decent FPS for example
PUBG - Very high - avg 80 FPS
Call of duty MW - avg 70 fps

Tried every thing! Reinstall drivers, reinstall Windows, trying different, even going 1080p and low,
I monitored the usages of the CPU and it’s between 95-100% and the GPU is ~80%...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Why do you think it’s on 100?
If you play heavily threaded games when your cpu is already limited in that area - 6 cores/6 threads - you can't afford to run other programs alongside those games.
Out of those 3 games you mentioned:
GTA V: Single player performance shouldn't be bad - online mode is a different matter.
CoD MW/Warzone: The former can use up to 8 threads. The latter - and I've only heard this once, but it can apparently use up to 12.
PUBG: Broken, lazily programmed game. Not a good sample to benchmark system performance with.

Apr 30, 2020
If you play heavily threaded games when your cpu is already limited in that area - 6 cores/6 threads - you can't afford to run other programs alongside those games.
GTA V: Single player performance shouldn't be bad - online mode is a different matter.
CoD MW/Warzone: The former can use up to 8 threads. The latter - and I've only heard this once, but it can apparently use up to 12.
PUBG: Broken, lazily programmed game. Not a good sample to benchmark system performance with.
I can understand and agree with this but I see so much videos on YouTube showing much higher performance then I get!

Apr 30, 2020
View: https://youtu.be/5uZ8L-TBu3w

I never get this FPS in any settings about 70-100 on 2K high. And there are many videos like this. Why and how??

Apr 30, 2020
That guy runs into stuttering too - it's not all caught on video obviously.

?
That's about what the person in the video was getting at 2K high, unless I missed something.
Sorry I meant 2K on low.
his avg is 150 and a low 100
I’m much lower at between 70-100
I mean by that sometimes I get 100 but also drops to 70 and even 60

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I will defiantly post it when I am at home, but why ? what kind of setup do you have ?

Userbenchmark isn't a super great tool to use to measure your true system performance, but it does give a good accounting of both the hardware you are using, as well as the background process during it's test. It will give an idea of weakpoint/shortcoming as related to your perceived issue.

I personally have a couple of R7 systems (among others) using a 2700x for gaming and office work, and a 1700 for gaming in the living room on otherwise quite similar GTX1080 builds.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would really love to understand these kind of videos
I get about 40 fps less then his avg

The MAIN thing to understand about YouTube reviewers is that most of them are paid/compensated shills. They are being given money and free swag for positive reviews. You have no idea what is on/off, settings, and other aspects that you couldn't know, much less if the reality is those parts being in the sample they are showing. Some "tubers" are better than others but by and large is a huge commercial enterprise that one should be skeptical about.

Reactions: Phaaze88
The problem is your 1x16gb RAM, you should have been asked to confirm that at the start. It can only run single channel and not dual channel. This significantly hurts gaming performance. Trouble is RAM is best bought in matched kits to avoid issues so the best option is selling what you have and getting a 2x8gb or 2x16gb kit of ideally 3000/3200mhz.

Apr 30, 2020
The problem is your 1x16gb RAM, you should have been asked to confirm that at the start. It can only run single channel and not dual channel. This significantly hurts gaming performance. Trouble is RAM is best bought in matched kits to avoid issues so the best option is selling what you have and getting a 2x8gb or 2x16gb kit of ideally 3000/3200mhz.
wow so you think this is the reason ? should this effect the CPU to run at 95-100% ?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Worry a whole lot less about your processor.

Find a good memory kit, low latency with a higher speed.

There appears to be some issue in regard to your expected GPU performance. This certainly could be the above mentioned RAM issue, so would probably approach that issue first, consider checking driver version, and wonder what PSU you are using?

Reactions: helper800
Apr 30, 2020
Worry a whole lot less about your processor.

Find a good memory kit, low latency with a higher speed.

There appears to be some issue in regard to your expected GPU performance. This certainly could be the above mentioned RAM issue, so would probably approach that issue first, consider checking driver version, and wonder what PSU you are using?
Drivers are updated and I’m using 850W
How do I check latency on ram?
is this a good option?

https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Predator-Technology-HX432C16PB3AK2-16/dp/B07GL6CLTT