Question Terrible game recording experience

markobogdanovic476

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
For years now Ive been attempting to start uploading my videos on youtube,just for fun.But I always end up bothered about terrible quality of videos that I give up on everything.
I tried recording many types of games,some demanding some not like rocket league,fortnite,jedi fallen order and so on but the quality is always with some loss which I may say I expect but
after upload it looks very very bad.Tried watching many tutorials,doing all kind of stuff like render video on 1440p and upload on 1080p,messing with recorder settings and so on.
Ive used streamlabs and especially shadowplay in past but as everyone recommended I switched to obs (yet to try it).
So to cut to the point: I just want as lossless quality as it can get in 1080p.I have like 500gb free HDD so storage isnt problem that everyone is mentioning.
GTX 1660 , i5 12500 , 16GB 3200mhz
What are your recommendations? :)
(Also maybe need to mention that I play nearly everything on 144hz so when I watch my own video in 60fps Im kinda not feeling it,but maybe theres setting for it also)

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
I recorded a number of 1080p videos with my old rig (1050 Ti, weaker CPU, and 16 GB DDR3) and with somewhat older games at 60 FPS, and they turned out quite fine.

Then I got me a new rig, and for a recording of The Witcher 3 (after next-gen update) at 1440p, I turned up the bitrate to 30. That resulted in about 18 GB file size for 4 minutes. And if you are trying to record at that level, my guess would be that recording to a HDD may be a problem, as the HDD may not be fast enough to write such a file at that speed.

And what John mentioned would be one way to approach it, as that should lower the demand on the hardware anyhow.

Uploading to YouTube can result in a quality loss nevertheless, as YouTube does some processing of its own, which seems to be aimed at having the size at an acceptable level. I.e. if I would have uploaded the 18 GB video, that would require a fibre-optics connection to be able to watch that straight away. So, my approach is to look at how low a bitrate I can use, and/or or much I can downsize the video after recording, and then the quality difference between what I upload and what YouTube shows isn't usually much. But if you are saying that the video you record doesn't look (as) good even when trying to have it at the best quality, then that's the first issue at hand of course.