Test Flights

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

OK, I think I'm over the edge. I did different configuration testing
with the Bell 207 for each throttle and collective position. My
computer froze and I lost a lot of the screenshots but it still flows.

Here is the screenshots of the testing
http://xs19.xs.to/pics/05101/206-strip02.jpg

And when it changes from a game to an addiction, is when I dig out
information on the real aircraft to compare to the Sim aircraft.

http://xs19.xs.to/pics/05101/check-list02.jpg

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> OK, I think I'm over the edge. I did different configuration testing with
> the Bell 207 for each throttle and collective position. My computer froze
> and I lost a lot of the screenshots but it still flows.
>
> Here is the screenshots of the testing
> http://xs19.xs.to/pics/05101/206-strip02.jpg
>

> And when it changes from a game to an addiction, is when I dig out
> information on the real aircraft to compare to the Sim aircraft.
>
> http://xs19.xs.to/pics/05101/check-list02.jpg
>
> --
>
> boB
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob, I did some experimenting on helos some time ago and I found out the
following: (well, it depends on whether you are willing to screw up your
aircraft.cfg on one of your helos. I did it on the R22....)

I changed the following lines in the aircraft.cfg of my R22:

[Helicopter]
correlator_available = 0 (default 1), kills the direct link between throttle
and collective

[MainRotor]
Weight_to_moi_factor = 0.4 (default 0.58), increases acceleration
characteristics of the rotor. The default value of 0.58 is much to slow
IMHO.

Now what happens with these two alterations is the following:
Generally I found out that the collective is now still driven through the
throttle channel (alternatively F1-F4) whereas the engine power output is
controlled through the RPM channel (Ctrl F1-F4).

With governor switch on:
The rotor RPM is guarded by the controller and you have kind of a
"autothrottle" which basically means that setting full throttle (Ctrl F4)
results in max. rotor RPM (104% as per definition in the aircraft.cfg) and
engine power is reduced to maintain that RPM. Increasing collective results
in automatically increasing eninge power (can be monitored on the Manifold
Pressure Gauge)

With governor switch off:
All manual! You need both Engine power and collective handling continuously.
I guess that's how it would be on a good old piston-engined helo like the
Hughes 300 or even older.

I guess you know all these tricks and maybe you can just confirm my
settings. With those I found it a bit easier to control the helos (of course
I mean with the governor ON....) as the collective response seemed much
better. But - I must admit - maybe also partly in my imagination. I'm really
no hotshot on helos......;-)
--
Oskar
(retired captain)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Oskar Wagner wrote:

> "boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>OK, I think I'm over the edge. I did different configuration testing with
>>the Bell 207 for each throttle and collective position. My computer froze
>>and I lost a lot of the screenshots but it still flows.

>>boB

> Bob, I did some experimenting on helos some time ago and I found out the
> following: (well, it depends on whether you are willing to screw up your
> aircraft.cfg on one of your helos. I did it on the R22....)
>
> I changed the following lines in the aircraft.cfg of my R22:
>
> [Helicopter]
> correlator_available = 0 (default 1), kills the direct link between throttle
> and collective
>
> [MainRotor]
> Weight_to_moi_factor = 0.4 (default 0.58), increases acceleration
> characteristics of the rotor. The default value of 0.58 is much to slow
> IMHO.
> I guess you know all these tricks and maybe you can just confirm my
> settings.

Thanks Osker. I did not know any of this and you have probably saved me
hours, or days, working on it. I should have asked before. :)

--

> Oskar Wagner wrote:
>
>> "boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>>>OK, I think I'm over the edge. I did different configuration testing
>>>with the Bell 207 for each throttle and collective position. My computer
>>>froze and I lost a lot of the screenshots but it still flows.
>

>>>boB
>

>> Bob, I did some experimenting on helos some time ago and I found out the
>> following: (well, it depends on whether you are willing to screw up your
>> aircraft.cfg on one of your helos. I did it on the R22....)
>>
>> I changed the following lines in the aircraft.cfg of my R22:
>>
>> [Helicopter]
>> correlator_available = 0 (default 1), kills the direct link between
>> throttle and collective
>>
>> [MainRotor]
>> Weight_to_moi_factor = 0.4 (default 0.58), increases acceleration
>> characteristics of the rotor. The default value of 0.58 is much to slow
>> IMHO.
>> I guess you know all these tricks and maybe you can just confirm my
>> settings.
>

> Thanks Osker. I did not know any of this and you have probably saved me
> hours, or days, working on it. I should have asked before. :)
>

> --
>
> boB
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

LOL ! I got that from MS's Aircraft Container SDK. MS obviously uses two
different realism modes on their default helos. The low realism setting is
used on the Bell 206 with one single entry in the [Helicopter] section:
low_realism_stability_scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0

whereas the R22 uses what they call high realism setting with lots of stuff
such as:
reference_length = 21.58
reference_frontal_area=17.7
Reference_side_area=44.5
side_aero_center=-12.5
right_trim_scalar=1.0
correlator_available=1
governed_pct_rpm_ref=1.04
governor_pid=0.4,0,0.1,0,0.2
rotor_brake_scalar=1.0
torque_scalar=1.0
cyclic_roll_control_scalar=1.0
cyclic_pitch_control_scalar=1.0
pedal_control_scalar=1.0
collective_on_rotor_torque_scalar=1.0

My guess is that you helo guru's can add quite some realism by playing with
these values. Maybe it doesn't really add to my capabilities if these
windmills are getting even more real ;-)
But for some of you it surely will.....