Test Shows Snow Leopard is Faster Than Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
yea... but i could spend an extra 100$ for a better processor with Windows 7, outperform Snow Leopard, and still save tons on money!

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Now if only Apple would allow official installs of OS X to PCs – then we'd be able to test from the other side.

If this ever happened (which we all know it wont) i would gladly give OSX a shot. The only reason that i will never buy or use a Mac is because you are paying hundreds more for the exact same hardware. It's the Apple tax hard at work.

G

oh come on, its obvious that boot camp drivers will slow down windows, this is a ridiculous comparison

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
There's GOT to be a way to Filter out Mac stuff on this sight.

MacOS won't play mah games. MacOS won't let me run my own Motherboard and equipment. Screw MacOS already. Jeeebus.

Can it play Crysis...or about 10,000 other games / software w/o having some slowed down windows emulator.

Look, Macs or ok if you are in the Printing / Music / Graphics industry or didn't know any better because Apple donated Thousands of computers to schools to brainwash kids into wanting them... but dumbfounded when the kids played PC's at home and chose PC's overall.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
But.. isn't this only benchmarking the conversion programs within each OS? This really has nothing to do with the speed of the OS, just the media programs used on them. Bootup and Shutdown time are the only things you might want to look at here.

The title of this should read Apple iMovie is faster than Windows Movie Maker or whatever the apps are they used. Not the OS.

rajaton

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]10.6 is still practically the same OS X , Windows 7 was an upgrade. =p so people cant handle the few extra seconds? Buy fucking SSD.[/citation]

I agree, for less than the price difference of going to a mac you could buy a SSD, better processor, and more ram. Then it would perform BETTER than a mac, be CHEAPER than a mac, be more COMPATIBLE than a mac...etc etc etc

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
That's funny I actually own a late 2008 model Macbook Pro and the Windows Vista drivers, which is what is on boot camp 3.0, completely suck A-S-S. This isn't a fair comparison, at all.

Here, how about this. Compare a final release of Windows 7 after a couple of updates with a hackintosh dual booting on the same machine? I wonder how different the numbers will look.

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Dear Tom's Hardware,

Please start writing more computer hardware articles, which are not related to or contain a speculative Apple spin. How about some articles on Windows 7, Core i7 Mobile CPU comparison (720QM vs 820QM), or Office 2010.
Your readers are growing tired of this site turning into an Apple rumor site. We want news and articles written about hardware/software technology NEWS, and not about some nonsense rumors about Apple vaporware.

Sincerely,

Tom's Hardware Readers

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]rajaton[/nom]I agree, for less than the price difference of going to a mac you could buy a SSD, better processor, and more ram. Then it would perform BETTER than a mac, be CHEAPER than a mac, be more COMPATIBLE than a mac...etc etc etc[/citation]

Only if you were talking about a desktop and seeing as about 93% of the market so far this year has been notebooks and netbooks desktops are really irrelevant. The price difference when you compare notebooks is not anywhere near as large as it's made out to be whereas in the desktop area it is laughable.

And, to the point of Windows being more compatible... which can run more software? A Macbook Pro or a T61 from Lenovo? Only one of those machines can run every piece of software currently on the market.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Yeah, Windows 7 on Apple's Bootcamp benchmarks is a good indicator of how it will run on other PCs. My Zotac ION nettop with Windows 7 takes 12 seconds to start up while the Apple Minis take 26. Yeah, which one is a more fair comparison?

jasperjones

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
whoohoo a mac a couple of % faster in a few benches than win 7.

but what if 5% more performance doesn't cut it for me and i need 50% more performance? oh too bad that apple doesn't sell quad-cores in its consumer lines. so what am i supposed then? buy a mac pro? yo, it comes with fast nehalems. only then, the problem is that snow leopard doesn't support NUMA...

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]But.. isn't this only benchmarking the conversion programs within each OS? This really has nothing to do with the speed of the OS, just the media programs used on them. Bootup and Shutdown time are the only things you might want to look at here. The title of this should read Apple iMovie is faster than Windows Movie Maker or whatever the apps are they used. Not the OS.[/citation]

How about Handbrake? That's written by a 3rd party group for both platforms.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
And how long would it take the average lifetime PC user to find said program and run them? There is always a learning curve that isn't always worth scaling. A few seconds isn't worth it when you have to go and learn an entirely different OS to use the computer.

If it were just that easy, everyone would use Linux because it's free.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Only if you were talking about a desktop and seeing as about 93% of the market so far this year has been notebooks and netbooks desktops are really irrelevant. The price difference when you compare notebooks is not anywhere near as large as it's made out to be whereas in the desktop area it is laughable. And, to the point of Windows being more compatible... which can run more software? A Macbook Pro or a T61 from Lenovo? Only one of those machines can run every piece of software currently on the market.[/citation]

Are you saying that a mac can run every piece of software currently on the market????

LOL kthanksbye

rajaton

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Only if you were talking about a desktop and seeing as about 93% of the market so far this year has been notebooks and netbooks desktops are really irrelevant. The price difference when you compare notebooks is not anywhere near as large as it's made out to be whereas in the desktop area it is laughable. And, to the point of Windows being more compatible... which can run more software? A Macbook Pro or a T61 from Lenovo? Only one of those machines can run every piece of software currently on the market.[/citation]

I have an Asus G51 that performs very well, it has a quad core, 4GB Ram, two hard drives in RAID, Blueray drive, list goes on and on. If you're going to compare computers, at least compare it to something that is actually good.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
It should be faster then that on the same hardware what is surprising to me is the difference is so small... I mean its BSD based is it not? Or something about a mach kernel keeps pinging in my head. At any rate considering all the hoops Windows has to jump through to run on all the hardware it does this seems amazing to me. I would like to see OS X sold like Windows is... but alas Apple fears loss of control, the ironic part of it that when you share control with your customers you find that your customers have more interest in your product...

rajaton

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]The price difference when you compare notebooks is not anywhere near as large as it's made out to be whereas in the desktop area it is laughable.[/citation]

And my laptop cost almost a thousand dollars less than a mac equivalent. So yes, for that price difference I could put in a solid state drive or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.