Test Shows Snow Leopard is Faster Than Win 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
it would be interesting to try benchmarking one of those Pystar Apple clones--and see if it clocks better on snow leopard or win 7.

p.s. The vigor of some of these responses makes me feel like some of you have an inferiority complex...
ive used both systems my entire life, and they are both good for different kinds of users. I have a PC so that I can customize/gaming, but I encourage many without those needs to stick with a more stable mac system... so that I dont have to help them as often.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
lol why bother comparing identical hardware, when the Apple system will have the infamous apple tax for running OSX Leopard. Compare an Apple System to a Windows on dollar for dollar, and the Windows will stomp all over it. And really, an iTunes benchmark? Am I supposed to be impressed that it ran better on it's native operating system?

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I'm not clear on what machine was actually used for this nonsense "benchmark"? If you're testing pure OS muscle, then why use laptops? Better yet, why 4GB of RAM, when clearly a 64-bit OS shouldn't be used with anything less than 8GB. When I went from 4GB to 8GB on my W7 x64 build, I noticed a performance increase, and that increase may be a very important factor in how the 2 operating systems scale - and sorry to say buy that's a matter not to be ignored. Pft....4GB!

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Maybe Im missing something in the article, but are they booting into Windows 7 directly or are they booting into OSX and running Windows 7 through boot camp?

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
I just read this article on Google news. How am I not surprised in the least that Marcus Yam jumped all over this less than scientific "test" to further his ridiculous, non-stop Mac propaganda?

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Only if you were talking about a desktop and seeing as about 93% of the market so far this year has been notebooks and netbooks desktops are really irrelevant. The price difference when you compare notebooks is not anywhere near as large as it's made out to be whereas in the desktop area it is laughable. And, to the point of Windows being more compatible... which can run more software? A Macbook Pro or a T61 from Lenovo? Only one of those machines can run every piece of software currently on the market.[/citation]

For a minute there I thought you were an Apple Fan, but then you totally flipped it around and went for the PC. Clearly the T61 Lenovo is the one you were talking about, because neither system can run every single piece of software on the market, but the PC can run the most.

G

Don't forget OS X can also delete all your data faster than Windows 7 - without you even having to ask ;)

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]godwhomismike[/nom]Dear Tom's Hardware,Please start writing more computer hardware articles, which are not related to or contain a speculative Apple spin. How about some articles on Windows 7, Core i7 Mobile CPU comparison (720QM vs 820QM), or Office 2010. Your readers are growing tired of this site turning into an Apple rumor site. We want news and articles written about hardware/software technology NEWS, and not about some nonsense rumors about Apple vaporware.Sincerely,Tom's Hardware Readers[/citation]

/sign and Thumbs up!

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Dyseman[/nom]There's GOT to be a way to Filter out Mac stuff on this sight.MacOS won't play mah games. MacOS won't let me run my own Motherboard and equipment. Screw MacOS already. Jeeebus.Can it play Crysis...or about 10,000 other games / software w/o having some slowed down windows emulator.Look, Macs or ok if you are in the Printing / Music / Graphics industry or didn't know any better because Apple donated Thousands of computers to schools to brainwash kids into wanting them... but dumbfounded when the kids played PC's at home and chose PC's overall.[/citation]

Site...says Tom's Hardware. Doesn't say Windows only. Why not look at all vendors, and OSes? It is only good for the consumer.

Mac's are great for multimedia. Windows is great for development and games. Why not both?

Correction. Apple did not donate "thousands of computers to schools to brainwash kids into wanting them" as you say. Apple sells computers to schools at a discount...just like other vendors.

I really don't understand all of this hostility towards an OS. What is wrong with the Unix kernel morphed into Mac OS X?

G

Amazing, when I saw this headline on the main site, I already knew the byline would say "Marcus Yam". Didn't he catch some flak for another Apple love song last week here? I do not completely agree with some of the above posters who think the Apple/PC performance question is irrelevant; but, I do disagree with the poor methodology of these almost "advertorial" type stories. Come on Chris, use your editorial powers and ask some tough questions of these not-so-scientific opinion pieces before letting them out to disenfranchise your long-time readers.

ant1-b0dy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
OMFG Marcus! You're really starting to piss off Tom's Hardware readers. Go post your speculation on another website. I can build a PC running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 for 1,000 that will put ANY Mac to shame and make it wish it was a boat anchor.

Further more: your 'benchmark' says little about either computer specs, you define the Mac, but you do not define the PC. Get Real!

G

lawl - totally unbiased too. How about the "build a PC for the same price as this model of iMac and THEN run benchmarks" Leaving out one fairly important parameter - the fact that the average PC user doesn't want to blow 1-2 grand on their comp - (especially because the competition actually available in the Windows using machines drives the price down absurdly lower than Apple can match)

GoldenEye4ever

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Maybe I read this wrong, but did they test Win7 running in Bootcamp?
If so, this test is complete garbage.

The only way to properly test it is to get 2 identical systems, install MacOS on one and Win7 on the other.
Thus allowing for native access to the hardware.

I'm not a MS fanboy, but Win7 is thus far the best MS OS to date.

G

Note: If you read the article, you will also see different versions of programs were used for benchmarking... He should have used the old version on both platforms to make it fair...

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]godwhomismike[/nom]Dear Tom's Hardware,Please start writing more computer hardware articles, which are not related to or contain a speculative Apple spin. How about some articles on Windows 7, Core i7 Mobile CPU comparison (720QM vs 820QM), or Office 2010. Your readers are growing tired of this site turning into an Apple rumor site. We want news and articles written about hardware/software technology NEWS, and not about some nonsense rumors about Apple vaporware.Sincerely,Tom's Hardware Readers[/citation]

I disagree with your statement.

Office 2010? Come on, who the hell wants to read about Office?

The fact is that a site such as this could not afford to post articles daily about various hardware, comparison testing, etc. It costs money to do this.

There really is no problem with posting Apple articles except it seems to get peoples panties tied in knots around here. Your post merely speaks for a few of you and not all of "Tom's Hardware Readers" as you imply. You should say "some of your readers." I choose what I want to read, and if I don't like the topic then I don't open it. Why can't others do the same? If you don't like Apple, then don't read about Apple.

G

I saw the Headline, and knew Mr Yam wrote this before I even read it.
On another note, it seems to me that OSX only beat out Win7 half the time. If we were still trying to be misleading, couldn't we just say Win7 is faster than OSX at the same time?

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Funny how every mac article on toms has the same author. Hey Marcus no one cares that you like macs better. So quit trying to convince us.
When apple opens up thier hardware and software, then maybe they will be a contender. And I have tried mac. I got tired of waiting for bluetooth drivers for my phone. No sync software for blackberrys, everything was a friggin fight. The "it just works" is full of bull just like Marcus Yam

manjyomethunder

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
We all know that iTunes on Windows is just as fast as on OS X, and is obviously not bogged down by Apple because A) they suck at making Windows apps and B) they want to make people think Windows sucks.

That'd be ridiculous and an iTunes comparison is obviously fair.

And I am the queen of England, Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS