Thank You, Tom!

G

Thank you, Tom and company, for updating your P4 results today. I admire your honesty and your intention of keeping your integrity intact in the dog-eat-dog world of evaluating the cutting edge of technology.

I admit that I was surprised by the speed that Intel showed in getting an SSE2 application out to show the real difference the new code makes. The level of scrutiny that you put into the 1130MHz P3 that justified its recall was surely noticed then, and almost as surely has paid off this weekend.

The P4 is certainly a whole 'nother beast; the difficulties in evaluating it, with it's jump in technology, is no easy task without applications with which to use it and compare it, and this was accomplished by a handful of professionals at Intel-Munich. Hats off and a big round of applause for them as well for a fast implementation of *something* that uses SSE2 to use as a benchmark.

I'm looking forward to your next comparisons of P4 and their results. If, in the near future, Intel can get applications using SSE2 to market from software developers, the Pentium4 will be easy to justify in cost.

<font color=green>Buy, build, abuse, and replace... </font color=green> :smile:

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Not to bring you down or anything, but why would we want to justify the price of the P4 when the new AMD chip will soon be out and will cost $60 - $150 and be twice as good????

G

Several points:
(1) What do you mean by "twice as good"?
(2) With a price range of $60-150 you must mean the new Duron, as the Athlon is much higher.
(3) I was intending to praise Thomas and his crew for their posting of the first results utilizing SSE2 code. No other site I've seen has this advantage, and the results are interesting.
(4) The P4 isn't intended for everyday office or gamer use, but meant for workstations and up. If SSE2 catches on, it would give Intel an edge over AMD, which we haven't seen in some time.
(5) If I were buying a new CPU/mobo combo this week, I'd have to go with AMD. The future decision, however, depends on the future, not today...

<font color=green>Buy, build, abuse, and replace... </font color=green> :smile:

G

what do you know about the price/performance on the Palomino? Do you think you'll be able to afford it?