To all of you who were gonna try... thank you anyways. I found the cause
of my agony...let this serve as a lesson to anyone out there with the same
problem:
It seems that iTunes (yeah, iTunes, that nice graphics intense-looking
and memory grubbing jukebox from Apple) has a file it uses to manipulate the
cd roms or dvd roms {GEARAspiWDM.sys}. I erased them right off the bat from
the \\system32\drivers folder...restarted the pc and logged on... thank god
for the nero program...it detected "a problem" and told me it had fixed it by
adding the necessary files to the registry. Eventhough I can't import CDs
with iTunes, I can still listen to music files already on my pc.
I relieved.