The 5 Most Intriguing Patent Applications of 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]What do all these patents have in common? They are patent that only requires an idea with a sketch and tons of money.[/citation]
Yes, except for the Google patent regarding the autonomous vehicle; that is already done by Google and is working (the vehicle, I mean);also, Microsoft's body scan idea is based on kinect, which is already a reality; the rest, yes, just patent trolling. IBM's idea is also good, and if it is in the works already, then it is NOT trolling.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
If you have ever look at all other patents, you will find that these 5 are at least relevent in their own field.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Patents in general stifle innovation. The patent system has been horribly disfigured from what it was meant to be. Originally, you patent an idea you put into practice so you can have a federally approved monopoly for a while to guarantee your ability to profit off it without anyone stealing the idea. Today, patents are used to maintain brands for eternity with no signs of letting them expire and become public domain, so once knowledge is patented it will never be available publically again, because any time big name patents (mainly Disney movies) come close to expiring, a few million dollars of "donations" later legislation is unanimously pushed through in the US to extend patent duration.

These are all horrible in that they mean now ONLY Microsoft can make full body scanners and ONLY google and make self driving cars because they can sue and shut down anyone else that develops the technology completely orthogonal to anything Google / M$ do. They hold the keys to future innovation and will charge at the door for anyone to even try to use these same ideas until the patent system is fixed. It is terrible to think about.

Sunfighterlc

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Im still waiting for my patent on the intergalactic space ship I drew years ago. the engines use a method of quantum distortion. God knows how, but I pointed an arrow to an engine and said it uses that method, pretty much like every other patent currently being entered.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Guys, instead of complaining, we should create a patent troll forum here. We all pitch in document creation and vetting. And the people involved in the patent get hold of it and harass other companies with it (or license it). If there is already such a thing, let me know.

Maybe the reason we see these patents like such obvious ideas is because we are super smart (or super ignorant.. but I like the first reason better :)

[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]Guys, instead of complaining, we should create a patent troll forum here. We all pitch in document creation and vetting. And the people involved in the patent get hold of it and harass other companies with it (or license it). If there is already such a thing, let me know. Maybe the reason we see these patents like such obvious ideas is because we are super smart (or super ignorant.. but I like the first reason better :)[/citation]

That actually seems like a good idea. Would be a nice place to look for some laughs each morning :) We could put a recommendation in for it.

tonyljg

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
tracking eye movement is a 3d reality will there be outside transmission and what is privacy. Anything in the cloud is no longer private information.

sonik777

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]Guys, instead of complaining, we should create a patent troll forum here. We all pitch in document creation and vetting. And the people involved in the patent get hold of it and harass other companies with it (or license it). If there is already such a thing, let me know. Maybe the reason we see these patents like such obvious ideas is because we are super smart (or super ignorant.. but I like the first reason better :)[/citation]

Sorry I already patented this idea.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
My patent prediction for 2012 is that increasing litigation by patent trolls and competition (esp. big corporations) will stifle innovation, hurt investment, and ultimately create a drag on the entire US economy.

Broken patent laws hurt the economy, slow innovation, and result in more expensive technology products as companies pass on the extortion... errr... I mean licensing fees to consumers.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
BTW, the reason I claim it will hurt innovation is that I think companies & investors will shy away from the risk of litigation, if they attempt any sort of innovation. This will slow innovation and push it into countries that either don't have patent laws or means effective enforcement.

Patent trolling is a perfect example of how the 1% take from the rest of society to line their own pockets.

bkiserx7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]I'll sue you for theft of intellectual property by patenting our idea before we did. I might not win but I WILL waste your time.[/citation]

Sounds like an apple man...

G

Most patents aren't worth the war chest you need to defend them. I say build a brand and build it quick.
Then sell out, lickety split.

sjw

toorudez

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2002
Booting a computer via the "Cloud"? How is that faster? Perhaps MS should look to the Linux community for some help... http://lwn.net/Articles/299483/

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
So in response to the Apple walk up printing patent: I would love to see Devices that have memory/storage so that the user could load drivers into it. The device ships with whatever the mfg decides to load as defaults but the owner of the device can update the drivers directly on the printer or add additional operating systems, followed by a handshake process via USB/Bluetooth/Wifi so that when the device is discovered by your device and you wish to install it, once a connection is established the printer will compare driver versions on your device to its drivers and install/update when necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.