News The Best $800 PC Build for Gaming, Streaming and Productivity

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Using marketing like 8k gaming as an arguing point in favor of the console is soooo stupid. No, you can't game at 8k. Nobody owns 8k displays. Even if someone owns an 8k tv, they probably can't tell the difference between 4k and 8k at the distance you sit at.

It could do 40000k gaming and It wouldn't matter.

Again comparing a console to a pc is stupid. Console is a locked down one trick pony. This pc is designed to do a variety of different things, most of which a console is simply incapable of.

Reactions: Phaaze88

nightsc

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
This is PC gaming build, leave alone the PC/Console master race...

To the build, only thing I would change is the PSU, Corsair RM650x would be much better choice.

The only thing I don't agree with this build is the case, this is a "Gaming, Streaming and Productivity" build, so really that Antec case doesn't seems to have a very good front ventialation.
Far as I know it includes a double mesh filter and no front panel fans, why Antec, why?, and the other recommendation is the Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L it may be the same or even worst airflow wise.

A PC like this will be On and working for long periods of time so I would really make an effort and pick a better case. I know it has some oldish look but I would try to get something like this https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Yzbkcf/fractal-design-focus-g-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-focus-rd-w, which right now its around the same price. Even the balck version is around the same: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4vzZxr/fractal-design-focus-g-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-focus-gy-w

Last edited:

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
From the article: "The [3600 cpu] doesn’t quite make the cut for our list of the Best CPUs for Gaming (the more-expensive Ryzen 5 3600X does), but it’s the best for this budget.

Due to shortages , the 3600 has escalated in price from $155 to $219 -- if you want to buy one in stock today. That's more than the $215 you can pick up a 3600x for.

Sep 13, 2020
Please Avoid Gigabyte DS3H series.... awfull board design, i,ve trade my B450M DS3H with B450i Aorus wifi ITX board,
Take a closer look, all DS3H B450M DS3H and B550M DS3H placed 4 port SATA3 that will be blocked with Graphic Card, even a small 1660 Super or Ti will block 3 of 4 SATA3 port, beware you cant use all of them, maybe MSI Pro VDH series a better one.
Anyway good choice of specs, not a brand :D
and i must aggre, a gaming PC need atleast good Mouse-Keyboard-Speaker-Monitor.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Using marketing like 8k gaming as an arguing point in favor of the console is soooo stupid. No, you can't game at 8k. Nobody owns 8k displays. Even if someone owns an 8k tv, they probably can't tell the difference between 4k and 8k at the distance you sit at.

It could do 40000k gaming and It wouldn't matter.

Again comparing a console to a pc is stupid. Console is a locked down one trick pony. This pc is designed to do a variety of different things, most of which a console is simply incapable of.

No it is not stupid when it is said for the sake of comparison of speed. this PC here cant even handle 4K gaming .. GTX 1660 super is not even a 4K card ..

Sep 13, 2020
We put together the parts for a system that games, streams and does your work for less than $800.

The Best $800 PC Build for Gaming, Streaming and Productivity : Read more
Just to clarify, though I am a serious fan of the Ryzen 2nd Gen processors lets be truthful in the article. The Intel Core I5-10400 is indeed a 6 core processor, however it is also a 12 thread processor as it is hyperthreaded (Source https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...10400-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz.html ). Other than that I fully agree with your article and build.

brian532

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Overcritical really from the comments above.
To me a pc build is the case and components only, that's always been the general rule when people ask for a build on a set budget on here (unless specified that it needs to include peripherals or OS)

The only real issue is the psu, its dire and the case needs a front fan adding.

Swap to the ryzen 2600 which sells for $50 less and you've rectified those issues easily.

I'll give you the mouse and keyboard but the price of an OS should be included. Without an OS it is about as useful as it would be without a cpu. I guess you could say Linux is free but we all know %90 are putting win 10 in and that would be $100.

I'll give you the mouse and keyboard but the price of an OS should be included. Without an OS it is about as useful as it would be without a cpu. I guess you could say Linux is free but we all know %90 are putting win 10 in and that would be $100.

You can install and use Windows 10 legally absolutely free.

It has a small watermark in the bottom corner and you can't directly change desktop wallpaper but that's about it. It's the full version.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
But you can use Windows 10 for free, Tom's has an article about that (I did for two years). Or you can upgrade from a Windows 7/8 license for free too. Or you already own it. Or you downloaded it. Even then, this is a hardware build, and Windows is not a mandatory purchase.

Sep 15, 2020
As mentioned before, the Intel 10400 DOES in fact have Hyperthreading and actually offers a better value in the current market. This of course also means PCI-E 3.0 and a dead-end platform but if you are not planning on upgrading, it is a valid choice.

Personally I would have gone the followng:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4tF7cq

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B460 Pro4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($239.99 @ Walmart)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $799.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-15 07:48 EDT-0400

Better PSU, airflow-case and full-sized motherboard

Last edited:

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Overcritical really from the comments above.
To me a pc build is the case and components only, that's always been the general rule when people ask for a build on a set budget on here (unless specified that it needs to include peripherals or OS)

The only real issue is the psu, its dire and the case needs a front fan adding.

Swap to the ryzen 2600 which sells for $50 less and you've rectified those issues easily.

That's not even true for people who are upgrading from a previous computer, unless they intend to mothball that computer in the attic or something. If they're going to sell it then they'll need to sell with a KB and mouse, as well as a valid OS license. Even if the old rig is only worth say $250, crippling it with no mouse / KB or OS makes it unsellable and effectively just cost $250.

It also makes the comparison to prebuilt pricing null. A lot of people will build this, then go pay $100 for retail OS and another $50-$200 for keyboard / mouse. Even if they know how to go cheap on the OS, it's unlikely they'll get away with anything less than $60 ($25 for OS, $25 for cheap KB/Mouse, + tax).

I think the response that this is really a $900 - $1000 PC is correct. Especially if you are comparing to prebuilt cost.

That's not even true for people who are upgrading from a previous computer, unless they intend to mothball that computer in the attic or something. If they're going to sell it then they'll need to sell with a KB and mouse, as well as a valid OS license. Even if the old rig is only worth say $250, crippling it with no mouse / KB or OS makes it unsellable and effectively just cost $250.

It also makes the comparison to prebuilt pricing null. A lot of people will build this, then go pay $100 for retail OS and another $50-$200 for keyboard / mouse. Even if they know how to go cheap on the OS, it's unlikely they'll get away with anything less than $60 ($25 for OS, $25 for cheap KB/Mouse, + tax).

I think the response that this is really a $900 - $1000 PC is correct. Especially if you are comparing to prebuilt cost.

Perfectly serviceable keyboard and mouse for $15

PCPartPicker Part List

Keyboard: Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard With Optical Mouse ($14.85 @ Staples)
Total: $14.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-15 10:05 EDT-0400

Although I think if somebody is selling their old system a buyer is unlikely to want a used keyboard and mouse with it anyway, possibly the most unhygienic devices on the planet!!

Windows 10 is free to use (with the tiniest of drawbacks) and from what MS themselves have stated in the past it always will be.

So yep it's now a $815 build instead of $800.

I could do better than the suggested build (or at least more sensible) for $800 without a doubt.

It is nowhere near as bad as some members are making it out to be though.

When people on here ask for build suggestions it's generally regarded that a build means the full tower system and no peripherals.

Peripherals are a personal thing the range of budget involved makes it nearly impossible to suggest something as a base.

The only time I'll recommend any particular keyboard or mouse is when someone actually asks for those items in particular.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
But you can use Windows 10 for free, Tom's has an article about that (I did for two years). Or you can upgrade from a Windows 7/8 license for free too. Or you already own it. Or you downloaded it. Even then, this is a hardware build, and Windows is not a mandatory purchase.

That's a combination of outright false and misleading information.

Windows 10 is free if you are a college student. An upgrade from 7 or 8 is free but means you need to have a registered copy of 7 or 8 to start with which will be seen as a duplicate if you use it on 2 PCs.

If you have an unregistered copy you are violating copyright. Microsoft simply is not enforcing that copyright. They may choose to enforce it at any point.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
That's a combination of outright false and misleading information.

Windows 10 is free if you are a college student. An upgrade from 7 or 8 is free but means you need to have a registered copy of 7 or 8 to start with which will be seen as a duplicate if you use it on 2 PCs.

If you have an unregistered copy you are violating copyright. Microsoft simply is not enforcing that copyright. They may choose to enforce it at any point.
I think Tom's should clarify that info. I did some research, and indeed it is forbidden to use Windows 10 without activation. Item 5 of the Microsoft License Terms: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

So did I (until I realised it could be activated with a Windows 7 key duh).

It's not an issue for the user, but it's important for the media to know that it is against the rules to do so, so they shouldn't recommend it openly.
Yeah, I lost my original key. Bought one on g2a, didn't receive it in a timely manner, bought it straight from windows eventually for full price, shortly after received my g2a key I got for ~20$.
So. Now I have an extra key that was like, 1/6th the price lmao