The Core i7-4770K Review: Haswell Is Faster; Desktop Enthusiasts Yawn

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redeemer

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
[citation][nom]CaptainTom[/nom]While Ivy Bridge was far from a huge upgrade from Sandy, it added:-23% less power use-10% clock-for-clock gain in performance-USB 3.0-PCI 3.0-Intel 4000That was a great deal better feature wise, and with good cooling my IB i5 reaches 4.7 GHz which easily beats any SB i5 up to 5.2 GHz (Good luck getting their!).However Haswell has:-9% MORE power used-10% greater clock-for-clock performance-Even LOWER overclocking headroomFAIL![/citation]

10% increase over Sandy Bridge is a myth, too much heat too little gains Sandy Bridge is still superior i5 and i7 hitting 5.0 Ghz with air cooling something that is impossible on Ivy Bridge.

Good to see my 2700k is still in the fight.

I'll wait for lappy reviews on Haswell, since the i7 IB on mine is great for being a mobile part. I really want to see how it compares to Haswell. Although, having higher power consumption is not a good sign for mobile...

Cheers!

Well it appears that Intel is focused on mobile technology for the future and throwing we desktop users to the wolves. For the only time since building my first PII rig, I am thoroughly disappointed in the advancements since building my last gaming rig two years ago, a 4.8GHz o/c SB 2500k.

Sure, the 4770/1150 platform is a worthy upgrade to my SB, especially as one who wants to move up to i7 for video editing, but the bang-for-buck factor is sour grapes at best compared to previous upgrade outlays. In typical hindsight 20/20 vision I'd have been better off holding on to my C2D E8400 rig (4.4GHz o/c) for another year and then building a 3770k and holding on to it. Now I'll need a new PS on top of the new CPU and mobo.

That's the price of waiting for the next big thing. Too bad Intel is making it more painful.

lp231

Splendid
Disappointing for those who already own a SB or IB, but it's not disappointing for those who still runs
on 775 or the extremely ancient 478 and extinct 423 and 370.
Upgrading to a new CPU doesn't mean to buy a new one, every time something new comes out. You only need to upgrade when it's absolutely necessary. Getting a new CPU just to have save a few seconds on a program or gain a few FPS in a game does not warrant a upgrade.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]unknown9122[/nom]I still don't get why intel went with a new socket if they consider the desktop to be "dying"...[/citation]
Haswell's FIVR requires 2.4V going into the socket. Can't do that on LGA1155.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]While further integration of components that once occupied the motherboard, such as VRMs, and finer control over clock domains is sure to benefit the lower end of the TDP spectrum, the effects of these enhancements on desktop parts seems far less advantageous. It even seems to have a negative impact on overclocking potential.[/citation]
While extra integrated stuff with the associated TDP certainly does not help with overclocking, you also need to keep in mind that other architectural changes such as the more complex branch prediction, more complex cache, wider paths between caches, deeper out-of-order buffer, extra issue ports, etc. all also add complexity that will slow down critical paths and cause lower maximum achievable clocks.

Nothing is free. Haswell's slightly higher IPC comes at the expense of complexity and that extra complexity cuts into timing margins which translates into lower overclocks since there is no die shrink to hide the increased complexity hit.

julianbautista87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
That's an excelent move for a company: They're making a new line of processors, making people belive it's an upgrade and spend money on them. A new architecture costs a lot of money (millions), and without competence, I don't see a reason for intel to spend millions on a new powerful architecture when they already have the market and they already sell all they make.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Why is it that no tech site ever actually benchmarks integrated graphics with actual real world games that real world people expect to play on them?

I service a lot of laptops with integrated Intel graphics etc. and not one of them has ever had any of the games listed here or on other such sites EVER!

Plenty of games like The Sims and suchlike though.

[citation][nom]daglesj[/nom]Why is it that no tech site ever actually benchmarks integrated graphics with actual real world games that real world people expect to play on them?I service a lot of laptops with integrated Intel graphics etc. and not one of them has ever had any of the games listed here or on other such sites EVER! Plenty of games like The Sims and suchlike though.[/citation]

I'll give you two reasons:

1) The vast majority of Tom's readers are PC builder enthusiasts and are not "real world" people as you call them. "Real world" people are those don't know their ass from a hole in the ground regarding PC tech and how things work inside a PC (let alone how to build and upgrade and maintain one).

2) Related to #1, said PC enthusiasts enjoy the graphics the latest games can pump out with the thousands they have spent on their builds and upgrades. If you want to play games that can be played on tablet, then go buy a tablet and park your butt on the couch and enjoy. Leave the real gaming to the PC enthusiasts.

Any more questions?

InvalidError

Titan

Intel may own the desktop performance crown but the desktop market is shrinking due to longer replacement cycles and migration of some/most/all activities to laptops/tablets/smartphones/embedded. Intel needs to get a piece of that before desktop sales get hit too hard.

Things will get worse before they get better for enthusiasts since Intel plans to go all-out embedded with Broadwell next year. Haswell is somewhat of a first step in that direction.

hmm, cmon AMD, Steamroller needs to shine!

though with both big next-gen consoles using 8-core AMD chips, games will soon be programmed to better utilize multiple cores, thus giving AMD 8-core CPUs an advantage over Intel's 4-core ones in gaming. of course, this will result in Intel quickly responding in making i7 broadwell or skylake octacore or better. the result? we all win :)

[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]Intel may own the desktop performance crown but the desktop market is shrinking due to longer replacement cycles and migration of some/most/all activities to laptops/tablets/smartphones/embedded. Intel needs to get a piece of that before desktop sales get hit too hard.Things will get worse before they get better for enthusiasts since Intel plans to go all-out embedded with Broadwell next year. Haswell is somewhat of a first step in that direction.[/citation]]

Intel's actually taking a 2-fold strategy with this. on one hand they're pushing hard for low power mobile x86 plateforms, on the other-hand they're pushing 4K content really hard, trying to give people a reason to get back into desktops etc

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
There are 7 pages devoted to the integrated graphics that no one cares about, but only a few paragraphs talk about overclocking the 4770k? Something smells fishy here.

Did you only try overclocking with the single tower cooler from Noctua? Why didn't you try with an NH-D14? It does fit the 1150 socket and is more representative of what will be run for overclocking. I don't know how you can be so down on the overclocking. I doubt you tried any delidding with loaned out chips. All these things might need is some better thermal paste like Ivy Bridge.

Haswell will be a great upgrade over a 775. The $330 I7 4770K and $230 I5 4670K will be the fastest single threaded processor available, and at around half the cost of the $590 I7 3930K Sandy Bridge-E. As hyper threading really doesn't help with games, the $230 I5 4670K will be the top processor for gaming for at least a year. After that, Broadwell is reportedly using the same 1150 socket.

Now is a great time to upgrade, except for the people who upgraded last year. Sorry your last years news. It seems to be bothering you a lot, as every not worth upgrading comment seems to be coming from one of you. I get the distinct impression you were never planning on upgrading this cycle.

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Those looking to build now should probably consider IB, especially if you live near a Microcenter $169 3570k with $40 off Mobo - that level of performance can't be beat regardless if Haswell is a roughly 10% increase in performance the extra cost can't be justified in my opinion better to spend that money on a better GPU and or SSD upgrade.

[citation][nom]Grandmastersexsay[/nom]There are 7 pages devoted to the integrated graphics that no one cares about, but only a few paragraphs talk about overclocking the 4770k? Something smells fishy here. Did you only try overclocking with the single tower cooler from Noctua? Why didn't you try with an NH-D14? It does fit the 1150 socket and is more representative of what will be run for overclocking. I don't know how you can be so down on the overclocking. I doubt you tried any delidding with loaned out chips. All these things might need is some better thermal paste like Ivy Bridge. Haswell will be a great upgrade over a 775. The $330 I7 4770K and $230 I5 4670K will be the fastest single threaded processor available, and at around half the cost of the $590 I7 3930K Sandy Bridge-E. As hyper threading really doesn't help with games, the $230 I5 4670K will be the top processor for gaming for at least a year. After that, Broadwell is reportedly using the same 1150 socket. Now is a great time to upgrade, except for the people who upgraded last year. Sorry your last years news. It seems to be bothering you a lot, as every not worth upgrading comment seems to be coming from one of you. I get the distinct impression you were never planning on upgrading this cycle.[/citation]

Um, you realize that there's a huge Haswell overclocking event at Computex right? for all we know Intel has a ban reviewers kicking the 4770K to the max or trying any creative overclocking until they OFFICIALLY UNVEIL the product. we all know there's a ton of reviews on these chips in the coming week or two

So let me see if I understand this;

CPU side the performance is better from the IMC standpoint but on traditional tests even loses out to the old Sandy's and barely bests the Ivy's to call this a definitive upgrade, it is nefariously difficult to overclock and consumes more power than Ivy despite being and update to the same process.

IGPU side HD4600 is still slower than AMD's old offerings while Iris appears to have the crown until Richland is out even then Intel promised on its slides GT650M performance and in general is 20% slower. People got sold a lie and believed it, and again where is Skyrim on Ultra at 1080P that we were promised. I am now patiently waiting for Kaveri.

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Danny N[/nom]Biggest question is if its worth upgrading my cpu i5 750 4.0ghz to Haswell or my gfx card ati 5870 to nvidia 7xx, my main pc use is for Maya, After FX and some fps gaming. Any input would be appriciated cause I'm leaning towards a cpu upgrade atm.[/citation]
get a i7 920 and a card. i used to have a 920 and i saw no difference when i upgraded to i5-2500k

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]I'll give you two reasons: 1) The vast majority of Tom's readers are PC builder enthusiasts and are not "real world" people as you call them. "Real world" people are those don't know their ass from a hole in the ground regarding PC tech and how things work inside a PC (let alone how to build and upgrade and maintain one). 2) Related to #1, said PC enthusiasts enjoy the graphics the latest games can pump out with the thousands they have spent on their builds and upgrades. If you want to play games that can be played on tablet, then go buy a tablet and park your butt on the couch and enjoy. Leave the real gaming to the PC enthusiasts. Any more questions?[/citation]

Well you just proved your colours didn't you?

So you haven't yet woken up to the fact that the world doesn't revolve around PC enthusiasts and gamers anymore and in fact more and more kit will be made to appeal to Joe Average. Look around you, it's a changing world.

It is important to know how such kit will work in real world scenarios. You know some of us work with other adults that have to do real work etc. not just play games all day. More to life than Crysis you know.

You enjoy your ever dwindling world and leave the rest of us to provide computing gear to people who will use it for more than just benchmarks in their bedrooms.

bharatwd

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2012
so wait a minute...its not faster and it consumes more electricity too? WTF......Intel.....4th GEN = garbage encountered..
waiting for next yr...........hope they have abysmal sales for the haswell...at least on the desktops.......laptops might be a hit.......

hrmes

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
There is no way in hell that I will spend a few hundred to upgrade from my Core2 Quad 9450 @ 3.4 to another quad core CPU.
For what ? That special "I think it seems a little faster" feeling ?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]hrmes[/nom]There is no way in hell that I will spend a few hundred to upgrade from my Core2 Quad 9450 @ 3.4 to another quad core CPU.For what ? That special "I think it seems a little faster" feeling ?[/citation]
Your processor will place about the same on the charts as the 5800K.

Status
Not open for further replies.