[SOLVED] The Curious Case of My 800W PSU

Feb 27, 2020
Hi... new here, but feel kind of lost in looking for answers.

My rig died, and as in died I mean power switch does nothing, no light, no fans nada. So I had a hunch it was the PSU. I pulled it out, did the paperclip test... no fan movement so I think my hunch is correct... it's the PSU. Then I read something about putting the PSU under load for a test. This time I did the paper clip and attached the PSU to two fans. Curiously... the fans turned on, but the PSU fan did not. Is this because my PSU fan only kicks on in certain heat conditions? I tried looking up the specs of my PSU and I can't find any info on how it operates in this regard. I'd say its about 7 years old. Any help is appreciated.

The PSU is a "Solid Gear ATX Power Supply" Model: SDGR-800SC

Solution

My rig died, and as in died I mean power switch does nothing, no light, no fans nada. So I had a hunch it was the PSU. I pulled it out, did the paperclip test... no fan movement so I think my hunch is correct... it's the PSU. Then I read something about putting the PSU under load for a test. This time I did the paper clip and attached the PSU to two fans. Curiously... the fans turned on, but the PSU fan did not. Is this because my PSU fan only kicks on in certain heat conditions? I tried looking up the specs of my PSU and I can't find any info on how it operates in this regard. I'd say its about 7 years old. Any help is appreciated.

The PSU is a "Solid Gear...

The PSU is a "Solid Gear ATX Power Supply" Model: SDGR-800SC
I'm pretty sure the PSU fan is meant to be turning to cool itself in most cases, so yeah a no name brand may wanna get that replaced fast, for a good quality PSU.

Solution
Feb 27, 2020
Thanks for your quick replies! This forum is pretty awesome... I didn't expect that so soon. Well... referencing bignastyid's comment "OP will be lucky if the PSU died alone." This did make my heart sink a little, lol, I'm hoping this is the case. But from what I gather, no matter what I should probably get a new PSU and see what happens. Worst case, I have a new PSU, and hopefully some other salvageable components for a new build.

Thanks for your quick replies! This forum is pretty awesome... I didn't expect that so soon. Well... referencing bignastyid's comment "OP will be lucky if the PSU died alone." This did make my heart sink a little, lol, I'm hoping this is the case. But from what I gather, no matter what I should probably get a new PSU and see what happens. Worst case, I have a new PSU, and hopefully some other salvageable components for a new build.
What's your budget for a new PSU? also what's your country and specs for your current system?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
In addition to the location and budget questions (and you really want to make SURE you get a GOOD psu, to protect the rest of your system), you will want to take a look at the first link in my sig. That's my go-to guide for good PSUs.

Good PSUs can be a little expensive. A bad PSU frying a motherboard, videocard, or CPU, on the other hand, is MORE expensive.

Reactions: AngelTech
Feb 27, 2020
Just want to follow up with a big thank you to everyone that weighed in. So I did upgrade my PSU, on the recommend of a friend who builds gaming rigs. Turns out yes it was the PSU... but also may have had to do with A. An audibly failing HDD (I also replaced this with a 2TB SSD)... also the HDD was old and failing in other regards. Windows was begging me to back up data before the crash due a hardware malfunction detection in the HDD B. Two stiffer fans, one of which was VERY stiff (I oiled both ((safe machine oil)) and they're running like new. So I guess in hindsight either my crappy PSU was struggling to move fans, or the fans themselves crippled the PSU... either way, crippled, but not dead is how I would have described it, as it had enough power to run two panel fans, but wouldn't allow the system to post.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't think the fans or hdd put any extra load on the PSU. BUT, that the fans weren't moving meant more heat would build up. That most definitely CAN hurt the PSU.

Any which way, glad it's solved, and glad you've got a better PSU for your system!

(EDIT: also, I like the book/movie title sound of your subject line!)

Last edited: