The Evil Within PC May Be Locked At 30 FPS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopsin4444

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
Why would you do that
Hope modders will unlock the cap

I just don't get it
Why game developers think that the "next gen" consoles will be the next thing
The consoles are only one year old and they are already starting to struggle running new games

flowingbass

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
When modders unlock the 30fps cap, watch the game go twice the game speed.

You character would be hauling ass with them monsters running twice the speed.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Hopefully the physics/scripting isn't tied to the frame rate. What good will 60+FPS do if it causes random objects/characters to behave unexpectedly. "That creature walked through a wall then flew across the map... but it looked great!"

Innocent_Bystander

Honorable
May 2, 2013
WTF? Why? IF consoles cant handle, it leave them @ 30fps. Dont screw the PC gamers.

Vote with your wallets, kids. Remember if you buy it, you're giving this type of behavior your expressed consent.

And for God's sake don't buy it on console either. That way you're just justifying what they're doing. You're the consumer, put your foot down and withhold your money.

anthony8989

Distinguished

Whenever you see i7 paired with a 4-5 generation old GPU like the GTX 460, you can safely assume they are referring to the first generation i7's like the 920 etc. Overclocked they have about as much power as a current i5 in gaming scenarios, but saying the all ambiguous "i7" is much more daunting than i5-4440 I guess.

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
They add ridiculous requirements, then they have the NERVE to lock it at 30 fps?

No one with knowledge of this will ever buy this garbage game. Honestly, they are so dumb that they don't make EA games look so bad (and thats saying A LOT)

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
While at first blush this sounds horrible, I will wait to see what others say the game feels like at 30FPS. Like most of us on here, I have a strong enough rig (with a 980) to play this game and many others at ultra settings on my 120Hz 1440 Tempest. I will hold off final judgement until we see how it runs (I hope it goes well since I think this is a great premise - damn you consoles).

kilzer15

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Abunch of 60 fps snobs on this site. Horror games (imo) are best played at 30 fps. It adds to the suspense. Its like a movie running at 24fps. They do it for a reason. This isn't a fps

InvalidError

Titan

Film-based movies were mostly 24fps simply because of reel size - most movies are already split in 2-3 reels and if they were shot at 60fps, the number of reels would more than double.

Another difficulty with making movies at higher frame rates is that you need that much more film to shoot with for traditional camera and then for editing you also have that many more frames to clean, edit, compose, etc. For editing-intensive movies, producing final output at 48fps may very well cost nearly twice as much as 24fps.

For animation stuff like video games and CG-based movies, extra frames are just extra interpolation steps between two key frames. There is almost no extra labor required to create them.

gameboie

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
I am happy to know that this game does not interest me.I would not be looking forward to upgrading my i5 to an i7 for one game.

Neuroflux

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
Tl;dr incoming... First off to anyone who actually believes this bulls*it about the "cinematic" feeling to a game should probably do some reading on how these things work, but in a nutshell; a movie running at 24fps looks "alright" because the motion blur type effect makes your brain interpret it more smoothly. And this is due to the way light is captured by the camera, so the same does not work for 30fps games, they will always be worse than 60fps. All this talk about "designing" games to run at 30fps because they're more "cinematic" is just plain lies to try to cover up that they don't care about their PC ports, or even worse, it's true and means these developers actually have no idea what they're doing. There was an article on PC Gamer about how console developers simply do not know what to do when coming over to PC. I'm starting to think there is something to this, Shadow of Mordor for example had a hardcoded mouse smoothing that made the game unplayable for me, and for sure many other PC gamers. That brings me to my second point:
There is something often left out of the 30fps vs. 60fps talks; more important than how games look, is how they feel. Even if 30fps looked ok, the input lag at 30fps is too much to bear, even 60fps is not enough for some games like shooters, that's why most enthusiasts have 120-144Hz monitors. Shadow of Mordor ran at good fps, but it didn't matter because the mouse smoothing effectively simulates the input lag at lower fps and makes the control unresponsive. It is often referred to as the 'hand-eye coordination' and it is the most important reason why frame caps and things like mouse acceleration and mouse smoothing are unacceptable on PC (especially when they cannot be turned off).
If developers wish to have their game look and feel more cinematic, they must use things like mouse smoothing, color and grain filters. And even then there must be an option to turn them off. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter for example uses mouse smoothing to make the game more "cinematic", but it can be turned off. Locking the frame rate to 30fps does nothing but make the game worse (not just graphically as mentioned above).
These big publishers are too greedy and too stubborn to learn and admit their mistakes, until they start to lose money, that is. That's when they will start to wonder what went wrong. Therefore, I encourage every PC gamer not to buy this game. We have the money, we have the power. These things have to be resisted right from the start, or they will get worse, much worse, google the story about the frog and boiling water.

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
And then they will wonder why pc is not generating any revenue. We love to support companies that embrace us, not making a bad port with crazy requirements to play console in quality? Wtf

RolandDeschain

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
I just cancelled my pre-order pending confirmation that the game will support MORE than 60 FPS natively, or with a very simple command that won't be considered a cheat and block achievements/unlocks or any other stupid crap. I have a 120Hz monitor and a GTX 780 Ti. I don't even like 60 FPS; 30 would literally not even be enjoyable for me.

RolandDeschain

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
What Neuroflux said. The Air Force tested some of their pilots some years back, and those guys could identify the type of plane shown in around 1/220th of a second - 220 frames per second. (Google it if you want.) Don't be fooled by craptastic motion blur in film, 30 FPS in a video game SUCKS and you can't emulate motion blur in a video game; the visual effect labeled as motion blur in the settings of video games is just a fake visual effect. It may help you some if you believe in it similar to how religion can, but it's still not real.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
The last game I played locked at 30fps was Alice Madness Returns and that game was horrible at 30 fps. At least they had console commands but still if we gamers want to play at 60+ fps then what is the big deal for them not making it an easily selectable option?

Drejeck

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
No game shall be played at 30 fps. This is an excuse! There's no "style" in slower fps nor "more detail" in trade of fluidity.
Bugthesda, I call BS on this game already. Will certainly go for unsupported 60 fps mod. And first I'm going to see it by piracy. Just to be sure I don't pay for some sh!t game that is a shame.

I've seen many EA games (Alice Madness Returns, WARP, Dead Space series, NFS The Run, NFS Rivals) locked at 30 fps by default, but I've used command scripts, cfg file tweaks, and disable vsync in game to get them ALL to run at 60 fps maxed. But if there are no mods or tweaks to unlock this game to 60 fps (and this is a Steam game), then we're royally screwed. So we need to get together as a community to mod this game for a fps unlock. PC GAMERS, UNITE!!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
wow... ok... my 2 cents...

as long as the game isnt fast paced, 30fps is acceptable for me... but the moment i can see choppiness, thats where the line is drawn. if this game is at all fast paced, i call it unplayable at 30... if its really slow, than it could be playable.

i7 is minimum? WTF that's retarded. Most gamers are running i5's. Are they porting it this badly that its running through a ps4 emulator? seriously, if it can run on a ps4 or xbone, it should have a minumum requirement of an amd fx 4xxx or intel dual core cpu.

Bary Gusey

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
You can cram more detail into a game locked at 30 fps? That's the biggest load of horseshit I have ever read. It doesn't matter what kind of game you're playing, a higher frame rate always trumps a lower frame rate. I'm really sick and tired of these bullshit excuses coming from game developers and studios that mock their consumer's knowledge and understanding. I didn't buy L.A. Noire on PC because of the bullshit "cinematic feel" excuse, and I certainly won't be buying this game either.

Status
Not open for further replies.