The Final Three: Sub-$100 Cases For Your Gaming Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

vertexx

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Thanks for doing all the analysis. Cases are so subjective and have so many factors, and it all comes down to trade-offs.

I thought the final analysis was perhaps a bit brief with so many cases reviewed. It would be good to see some type of point or rating system for different factors that go into overall case value (i.e. Finish Quality, Build Quality, Component Accessibility, Flexible Layout Options, Cable Management).

If one can deal with its anomalies (dealbreakers for some I'm sure), the Antec GX700 looks like a winner. I'm not sure about the styling, but that Ostrog does look like a good choice too. The Storm Scout looks like a bigtime value loser, and I'm very surprised Rosewill didn't do better. I suspect a lot of positions might change if you allow a certain amount of modding and tweaking though. I think this is why selecting a case will remain a matter of personal preference, regardless of what stock benchmarks show.

Spooderman

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
I built my friend's PC in the In Win and it was a good experience. Cable management was acceptable, everything fit nicely, nice color scheme. There was an interesting moment when I noticed that the case was built to include its own standoffs in the form of raised bumps on the motherboard tray. This scared me because I didn't trust putting the mobo on the case, but I looked it up and apparently the standoffs that came with the case were only for micro ATX. The front panel design and lights were nice looking and mostly unobtrusive. Other than that, it was a great case to build in and I think I'll be using it for my next friend's build this summer. Out of all the cases I would recommend this one for a good building experience.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
So which is the good budget case that doesn't look like a flashy monster? I know it shouldn't matter, but I personally couldn't stand many of these cases sitting in my living room.

I'd take a look at Fractal Designs or Lian Li for a much more subdued styling, and also quiet. I don't mind a blue light here or there (if only to tell me the PC is on, ready to do as I tell it), but I don't like garish either; not in the living room anyway.

CyranD

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
Would have liked to see how Fractal Design Define R4 would have compared to these cases. I just built a computer using the Fractal Design Define R4 (Paid $80 for the case on newegg a few weeks back so fits in the sub $100 catagory). Some people might not like the fact it wider then the typical mid tower case but the extra width made cable management extremely easy. Fractal Design did a excellent job providing places all around the motherboard for routing the cables behind the motherboard. seems fairly silent to me and getting good temps also.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Scout 2 Advanced is one of the heavy-duty cases in the roundup, that must count for something.

The GX700 is one of the flimsiest cases in the roundup, and is so cheaply made it doesn't even have replaceable slot covers. That must count for something...

Taintedskittles

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Best case I ever got & still use Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 Black mid tower case. $40 on sale/ regular price $59. USB 3.o, 3 fans that don't suck/ room for 2 more side fans, & a good 10.5" GPU room.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

I guess if you move around your system a lot it may be worth something.

Edgtho446

Honorable
May 29, 2013
Every time I read these reviews I am left wondering just exactly what kind of material the cases are made of. I enjoy seeing these case builds, but if any of them are majority steel they are automatically disqualified due to my very salty location. Should I just assume they are all steel?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You should just assume anything that doesn't say "aluminum" isn't. Lian-Li's aluminum was discussed in its description.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Thank you ONUS, CRYAND. I'll take a look at that. Also, it seem strange that the ANTEC 300 TWO isn't in this comparison. It seems to be in the sweetspot that toms was aiming for. Too old already? Same for the HAF whateverthenumberwas.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Antec decided to send this one instead of the Three Hundred Two. Neither of these can stand up to the quality of its original Three Hundred however.

Status
Not open for further replies.