The Future of Gaming is Android, Says Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
"Android is the most versatile operating system the company has known."

Didn't nVidia say nice things about Apple back in the day? it looks like nVidia is the whore that'll say nice things AS LONG as they're getting paid.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

I think you've got it backwards. It's precisely the "in depth plot and story driven" games which in no way need PCs, fancy hardware, consoles, complex control schemes, intensive graphics, whatever. They can have extremely modest hardware overheads, simple graphics, and be awesome because they rely on good writing rather than fancy hardware to excel. These are precisely the types of games that could do great on Android with the mindless time waste twitch shooters being the ones that will have to remain on PCs and consoles.

Case in point - To the Moon. Or heck, any old RPG that people still rant and rave about today which was in no way made by fancy hardware. Plot and story driven games can and will do great on Android when devs decide to make them.

Mobile has proven to be the money maker. You can make a ton of cash with a smaller team, and in a shorter period of time. Mobile games will usher in the era of quantity over quality like we've never seen before. Money talks. From the business perspective, I don't blame them, but damn it, I'm not happy. I also realize I'm a very small minority, so again, I can't really blame them, can I? What am I doing? Am I getting involved in games development and trying to make a difference, or am I just a consumer of whatever is shoveled out, and seems acceptable?

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Android games are Linux games with basically added (rewritten) starting part in Java. Java is really something that needs to go in retirement. Google wanted to have quick apps ecosystem & developer's support so they went with Java. They also wanted cross architectural easy portability so they went with JIT. All of this is now about to brake back of they head! & they are aware of it. ART is AOT compiler bat after almost, two years of development & fortune that development must have been costing them is still simply is not working. On the other hand once compiled app will work much faster then when it's compiled Just in time (way back of time). Next thing is that apps are natively (most part) written in Java & that C++ for instance is much more faster. Next problem is that really good (best) optimized compiler will take long time to optimal compile app on mobile soc.
Now what's wrong with precompiled packages that you can easily instal like in Ubuntu? Well not every moron cud make his on app that is totally useless & full of adds & every app should have to be compiled for every architecture. Bat now we have much more new developer's that know how to do it thanks to Googles pore job with providing up to date Linux kernel with desirable futures we have lot of new developers that practiced with compiling.
What's wrong with having easy installable OS (in use by user) independent games that are based on stripped down Linux (only really needed things)? NV is right about one thing future of personal computing is based on small (phablet like) hi mobile devices that can be connected to anything & there for & future of gaming (no matter what OS).

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
What I think he means is, android/linux will begin eating up anything lower than enthusiast and some mainstream computers and replace them with portable versions.

usbgtx550

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
We can only hope that since mobile games are getting more and more attention, better games will follow suite. Some developers must believe that quality games can and should exist on the mobile platform. However, consoles and pc's shall always have their place.

Vatharian

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Dear nVidia. If you say so, would you kindly move your ass, and develop drivers for you desktop graphics for Android? Honsetly, fact, that there are drivers for Android for Intel, AMD, and even ATi graphics, but not for my beloved GTX570, is only thing holding me from kicking Windows out through the window. Sincerely - your customer.

When you search strategy games for android, the "top lists" are filled with games that should rightfully be advertized by a large-breasted woman asking you to come save her kingdom. They have pointless gameplay, the only purpose of which is to try to get you to buy things. The RPGs are almost all the same way.

When we start seeing GOOD turn-based strategy (as rts suffers without a mouse) or well-written RPGs, then gaming on android might become something.

For right now it's temple run and angry birds. Not impressive.

That and the fact that 90% of the games still use DirectX instead of OGL. So yea, that GPU would be near useless on Android since most games are not major games.

alextheblue

Distinguished
They're pissed because they didn't win any bids in the console market AND they lack an x86 license so they don't have an answer to Intel and AMD's integrated solutions on the x86 front. Apple doesn't need them anymore either. But Nvidia does make ARM chips... so of course they'll back Android.

The biggest issue I see with this kind of rhetoric? In addition to the above, Nvidia is also taking a huge dump on their PC userbase. Just plunked down a bunch of money on a Nvidia GPU or laptop with Nvidia graphics? That's a dead-end platform, pal. Love, Nvidia.

P.S. Thanks for your money we need it to fund our Android efforts.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
@DarkStable try the Bards tail as a RPG recommendation!
It's a port with with a good old portion of black humor & very playable. If someone port or remake Civ for Android let me know ...Also there are ports of legendary Final fantasy serial (3,4&5) bat they are heavy overpriced & so on...

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
This is an example of how a loser sound like... I wonder why nvidia didn't say these kind of BS in PS3 era...

masmotors

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
seems nv is only saying as they lost the console contracts to amd well i hope android and nvedia can make some thing great for gaming ob big tvs and nice multimonitor systems sorry for no spell check

masmotors

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
also just loaed ubuntu 12.04 lts i think not sure im on my win 7 pc now but i like the feel of linux ubuntu reminds of mac in the olden times lol i just wish all my games would work on it i have not 1 game that will run on it i loadd steam and no games i have paid for 4 r 4 linux it needs more drivers or whatever i have it with a hd 6850 so i know it can game

According to the rumours Nvidia didn't even tender for the new consoles, can you provide any evidence to the contrary? Either of you?

Status
Not open for further replies.