The GeForce GTX 580: 772MHz, 512 CUDA, 1.5GB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]55range[/nom]That's gonna be one hell of a card-[/citation]
Yep, like an anchor who comes at the stage for a while and then gives way to the real performing star!(Radeon 6970)

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]"Fastest DX11 GPU on Planet!" For the whole 2 weeks until Cayman is out.[/citation]
If what you say and I have read is true, nVidia rushed it so that they could enjoy the performance crown for some time and then hand it back to AMD. Oh wait, GTX580 isn't faster than Radeon 5970, so the ultimate card (though it is dual) is already made by AMD! :D

G

I really like the fact NVIDIA made a new and better video card.
I was planning on buying this one, sins it’s the best out there.

But when I think about it I start to think this thing will overheat in my system.

Question:
Can a vapor chamber cooler work upside-down ?

In every PC the heat sink is faced down.
I can’t believe NVIDIA did not know this fact.

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I'm still happy with my GTX 470s in SLI, but this definitely makes me look twice. Goodbye GTX 480, you are now essentially pointless.

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]Thorkle[/nom]I'm still happy with my GTX 470s in SLI, but this definitely makes me look twice. Goodbye GTX 480, you are now essentially pointless.[/citation]

Yep, if the price really is equal to what the 480 used to be, why buy a 480 anymore? Yes, the 480 will drop in price, like a rock eventually, but buying a 480 now would feel like buying a 465 a few months ago (compared to just getting a 470 or 460). The only people looking for 480's will be current 480 owners looking for a deal on cheap SLI.

G

You ar correct, a vapor chamber can not work upside-down.

NVIDIA Fail !

bkm23

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
my retail shop in Sweden will sell the Asus ENGTX580 for 5490 kronor and the cheapest on is the Zotac GTX 580 for 4990, there might be some price drops for the other 400 series but not that much I think, the 480 price is now 3695 kronor which makes it as the same price as the 5870.

kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
I really want to see a price on this. But what is really upsetting me is the news from AMD. I was hoping for a release in two weeks so we could see how things went. This is really interesting because I hope the launches go according to plan and there really is no problem. If here is a delay I'd have to wait it out, I want to see what the 580 and 6970 are like this month, I'd like to see what it does to prices so I can pick up two cards once and for all.

5770 is out of the window now, but if they get even cheaper.... Then you have the ones I am interested in. 5870-6970 (5870 through 6870), we waited long enough, please do not be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.