The GeForce GTX 770 Review: Calling In A Hit On Radeon HD 7970?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roman1024

Honorable
May 27, 2013
these framerates kinda telling me that current generation of hardware (single card solutions, even in high end segment) isn't ready for gaming on 1440p.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I actually never knew that these new cards sip power like that when idle... I just checked reviews of my old 6950 for comparison and they use like 138W (idle)! Remarkable. I really have to look at upgrading some time. It's just that I don't really want to until the next gen comes out.

CarolKarine

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

I guess I should have clarified. I'm sick of people comparing gk110 and tahiti.

It is not a new architecture but it is a hefty revision to GK104 and its being pitted against a Tahiti core that is approaching 2 years old, this is testiment to how AMD have refreshed the 7970's life and still is an attractive proposition, to outlast GTX600 which barely made a year and still go strong is kudo's to just how impressive GCN is.

We called it a month ago and faster clocks, faster memory, faster bandwidth all to equal the 7970 while it may seem impressive now this could dramatically change now AMD know the goal posts.

[citation][nom]Memnarchon[/nom]Better power consumption than 7970GE.Less noise than 7970GE.Runs cooler than 7970GE.Same FPS as 7970GE.$50 less cost.Yeah indeed, why to get the Smart Buy award I wonder...[/citation]
It should be compared to the regular 7970, which is still going to be cheaper than this card. The 7970 is just as good as the GHz edition, because you can get exactly the same performance when overclocked. The thermal limit isn't changed by the sticker on the side.

The same applies to the GTX 770, which overclocks poorly.

So for single-GPU usage, this card is mediocre value. It's great for SLI though.

I'm looking forward to the GTX 760 Ti though, if Nvidia mirrors the 600 series then it should be better value than the GTX 770.

so while this is impressive and certainly worth the "smart buy" award, I guess Nvidia doesn't want to offer us next gen (GK110) level performance unless we cough up $650+... this is a $150 price increase and the market seems ok with it...

given how business works, AMD's next-gen flagship will be priced similarly, maybe $700 - 600 with a nice games bundle. god I my wallet just had an aneurism...

Wow aggressive pricing. Nice to see that from Nvidia right of the bat...

No surprise as to the OCing results. Since they basically increased clocks to achieve better performance already, can not expect Kepler to go any further.

Seems like we are in for some fun, if you want to OC though the choices are slim... Lets hope the GTX760ti comes with a 256bit bus AND agressive timing, now THAT would be an awesome!

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]SiliconWars[/nom]None of Nvidia's partners are using the reference cooler so this is just a scam to get better turbo clock speeds and good scores on quiet and cool operation. You've been had Chris and now you've spread Nvidia's lies to your readership.[/citation]
The story clearly states that the number of reference-based designs will be small. Even then, the partner cards are running cooler and faster. I just prefer the version that exhausts all of its heat, so that's the one I'd recommend. Thanks,
Chris

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
You should really upgrade your copy of FAHBench to 1.2. It uses a revision of the F@h GPU core that performs much better on Kepler-based cards than the one used by 1.1.2.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]Whatever happened to multi-resolution tests? Most people don't own a 30" 1440P monitor...[/citation]
I'd like to do more of this. Unfortunately, the FCAT testing gives us a maximum resolution of 2560x1440 (our screens are 27", btw, and only cost $400 each). With that said there *is* a way to do 5760x1080 testing using FCAT--we basically only capture the video from the display with the overlay running on it. This would double the time commitment, though. I think it's definitely warranted for a follow-up piece that doesn't involve an embargo. I certainly found myself asking how each multi-GPU config would behave at 57x10. Great request.

I have a question and its regarding the defensive attitude in re: "Bitcoin mining", now we are not questioning the value of mining but whether the part is capable of producing acceptable Compute performance and it would have been simpler to just say no rather than dance around the point that yet again Nvidia's Compute that is not CUDA or optimized is pretty diabolical.

Since we knew from 2011 GCN was designed on not only gaming performance but General purpose computing as well, so the fact that AMD is far ahead is no indictment against Nvidia as clearly Kepler was not designed for this.

i like how you're talking a price drop. this is a PRICE INCREASE.
670 - 350
770 - 400

they just raised the price of their x70 series cards $50 or 15% and you're crowing it from the mountaintops that this is a price drop. You're playing straight into nvidia's marketing strategy. They raised the price of their x80 chips by 45% and gave us a 20% performance upgrade. They raised the x70 series by 15% and gave us about a 10% increase in performance.

We'll see the whole nvidia lineup go up in price this round, for what is effectively a refresh series.

They played you THG, and you fell for it. This won't drive down the price of anything. This is a massive price increase for the end user, and you're giving it a smart buy award. Shame on you.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Memnarchon[/nom]Better power consumption than 7970GE.Less noise than 7970GE.Runs cooler than 7970GE.Same FPS as 7970GE.$50 less cost.Yeah indeed, why to get the Smart Buy award I wonder...[/citation]
And remember that this is larger affected by the card's performance in dual-card configurations. Two 770s for $800 > 1 GTX 690 for $1,000 > 1 GTX Titan for $1,000. The 780 is fast, but not $650 fast, IMO. And for the price of two, you could have *three* 770s with $150 left over. 7970 doesn't get recommended in any multi-card config.

AMD doesn't need to throw its hand as they have a lot working in their favor now, first being Nvidia have thrown the 600 and 700 family against the GCN architecture which is a year older than Kepler and still delivering, we also know AMD have impressive power gating seen with the 7790 being a 128Bit card delivering close to the 650ti boost and 7850 performance while operating at the 7770's power. So GCN has evolved better and now the other factor, Nvidia is stuck whether they like it with GTX700 and masses of unsold GTX600 SKU's to carry them to Q4 2014 where only then has TSMC made new yields available to Nvidia, it is also no secret that AMD have first dibsies on TSMC's 20nm yield and where there is rumour it derives from some hearsay and the hearsay regards volcanic islands and the potential it may have, we heard double the resources and less power but we also know that AMD have had stacked RAM for some time now. So to the point Nvidia are stranded and all AMD needs is the knockout blow and what would be any more crushing than the speculated performance of volcanic islands.

That said I fully expect AMD to release the Sea Islands parts in due course as it will just match up again and let AMD undercut Nvidia into frustration again.

Aneurisms are a bad thing??? You mean orgasm...

Anyway... Referring to the highlighted part... Its not only that Nvidia does not want to, its that that GK110 chip is HUGE and complicated... Manufacturing it is no joke. Its the largest mainstream chip ever to come out! The Titan was never mainstream...
Consider that.

Yeah I figure that too. Kinda think this it is just another stunt. GK110 is underwhelming for manufacturing costs, me thinks...

EzioAs

Distinguished

Hmm, so that's why you're giving it the Smart Buy award? I admit, SLI GTX 770s seems like a great option for those who are willing spend. However, if you were comparing this with say, a non-reference design card (such as MSI HD7970 TFIII or Gigabyte's) which is overclocked around GHz Edition speeds and costs $400 (non-GE card costs around that), if you found out that they perform just as well in the test, would you still gave the GTX 770 an award?

Keep in mind the price increase is at launch, I believe the GTX670 was 450 at launch, if i am not mistaken...

EzioAs

Distinguished

$400
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-review,3200.html

I was being kind to the reviewer and quoting the $400 msrp. We won't see a single 770 for less then $450 till the next gen AMD cards come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS