The Hurt Locker Producer Sues 5,000 BitTorrenters

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
LOOOOOL, hahahahahhaa......sure, i downloaded that crap movie too, send me the bill you mofos..........hahahahahha

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]These Hollywood studios are there to make money like any other business...if they didn't want to make money then they wouldn't exist. Maybe you should do what you do for a living and just give it away and make no paycheck...how does that sound? The studio that made the movie in question, and I might be mistaken, seems to me to be a smaller newer studio since I have never heard of them before and I watch TONS of movies via my Netflix membership. This is probably why they are taking this step and going after these people...I don't blame them.[/citation]
Domestic Total as of Mar. 21, 2010: $16,400,000/Foreign: $32,193,078 = Worldwide: $48,593,078. They couldn't make money on this movie as much as they tried. Don't the alleged lost 5000 ticket sales would have made any difference to there bottomline. It has yet to be proven that the sharing of movies, not pirating, pirates are for profit, has any impact on the bottom line. The only sale for The Hurt Locker they would have gotten from me was from a rental at best.

G

This is extortion. Plus, note the use of the word 'can':
"A Defendant's distribution of even one unlawful copy of a motion picture CAN result in the nearly... "

Sorry, in our justice system an action 'possibly' causing harm is not proof that any actual damages were incurred. A successful lawsuit requires proof that damages occurred, not the possibility, assumption, or speculation of such damages. They know this, and are resorting to extortion instead.

Imho this is a less moral action than the piracy itself.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
If I was one of those people, I would fight it. I haven't downloaded it, but even if I had I have a wireless network, prove it was me. Even if its secured, I have half a dozen friends that have used it, how would you know which one? You should really have to show your evidence to a judge to be able to sue someone. This is just BS. I could always represent myself, but how am I going to be able to argue against a trained lawyer? In these cases could you counter-sue for legal fees? If not, complete crap. Even if you can though, say you're getting sued for $250,000 and you think you have a 90% chance of winning, is that worth the 10% risk of losing?

[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]Those ads are what keep Tomshardware and every other tech site alive.[/citation]

And we should care about this site? They are pushing tons of adds on us that we don't want and it is only gotten worse since Tom sold this site. I use Firefox with add block and love it.

G

Good Luck Voltage Pictures! I'm sure the guy in Yemen will be in the court of law to cough up your money. BTW, Thank You for being the reason why our courts are tied up with ridiculous lawsuits instead of focusing on the big problems that matter.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Evidence?? Plenty of evidence, in fact, so much evidence they'll need to spend some time and money filtering it all out. In order to establish a connection between two or more sources (your pirate movie) and your computer, an IP address is required or else the communications can't happen. IP spoofing isn't going to work as this type of communcation (download) requires start and end points with transmit checksums after each packet.

OMG, DVD's you folks still buy DVD's and not Blu-ray?

Where does it say you can buy a car, drive it for a year, return it and say you didn't like it and expect full refund of money? For that matter eat at McDonalds and tell them you didn't like 50% of your french fries and ask for a refund? WTF is wrong with you people -- is this generation "Spoiled rotten" or what? Why do you even remotely think you deserve some ability to get your money back after you've CHOSEN to watch/buy a movie? Do you read books and then return them to the bookstore if you don't like them and ask for you money back? Do you see any guarantee on the side? No, do you read your rights when you buy a DVD? Do you read the return policy? All the information is there for you to decide ... what a generation of spoiled little brats (aka pirates).

If you want communism, then go to a communist country and enjoy their entertainment ... see how you feel about that. If you don't like capitalism and the fact it produces a higher standard of living than any other form of government, then go find some other place to live where they'll let you return anything you didn't like ... good luck with that search.

I think the real parody here is that most Movies are made for mindless entertainment ... key being mindless ... and mindless is as mindless does, it's mindless. So keep up the sport of being mindless and stealing to support the habit of being mindless.

G

[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]Your post is full of complete bull****! First, they have no evidence that any part of their movie is on the suspect's PC. No, having your address show up in a tracker is NOT proof that you have even uploaded/downloaded so much as one byte of the file. Hell, I could get YOUR ip address, put it in a static tracker, and they could come along and see YOU are stealing their movies! Imagine your surprise when you get a letter saying you have to pay $1,500 or face explaining yourself at a trial.Error #2; these are civil trials, not criminal ones. You are not entitled to a public defender, you can either defend yourself or hire a lawyer whose effectiveness is measured by how many zeroes are in his paycheck.Please get a clue before spouting off nonsense... Now that I think about it, do you work in Hollywood? That would explain a lot about this conversation.[/citation]

I live in Kentucky, and your response is rude. If you can't respect others, keep your opinions to yourself.

Believe what you want. They can tell when you are downloading or uploading copyrighted material. I quit downloading movies years ago, because I realized it was immoral. I had received two written warnings, and in both cases, they knew which movies I had downloaded, and when. And they were right.

When you get caught, try all the fancy explanations and arguments you want. You'll look like a fool to the judge. They've heard it all before. All that's required is a preponderance of the evidence, and you'll be paying up. Now, truthfully, how many of those 5,000 do you think are being falsely accused? You know as well as I do - none of them. They are all guilty, and deep down inside, you know it.

G

[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]If I was one of those people, I would fight it. I haven't downloaded it, but even if I had I have a wireless network, prove it was me. Even if its secured, I have half a dozen friends that have used it, how would you know which one? You should really have to show your evidence to a judge to be able to sue someone. This is just BS. I could always represent myself, but how am I going to be able to argue against a trained lawyer? In these cases could you counter-sue for legal fees? If not, complete crap. Even if you can though, say you're getting sued for $250,000 and you think you have a 90% chance of winning, is that worth the 10% risk of losing?[/citation]

How many of those 5,000 do you believe are being falsely accused? None of them, and you know it! Believe me, they know when you are downloading and uploading copyrighted material! And you are responsible for anything anyone does on your computer or your network. They won't have to prove who did it. All that's required is a preponderance of the evidence. As I've said before, you can try all the fancy arguments you want, but you'll just look like a fool to the judge, and you'll be paying up.

Download movies if you want, but be a man when you get caught, and pay up.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]mgilbert[/nom]I live in Kentucky, and your response is rude. If you can't respect others, keep your opinions to yourself.Believe what you want. They can tell when you are downloading or uploading copyrighted material. I quit downloading movies years ago, because I realized it was immoral. I had received two written warnings, and in both cases, they knew which movies I had downloaded, and when. And they were right.When you get caught, try all the fancy explanations and arguments you want. You'll look like a fool to the judge. They've heard it all before. All that's required is a preponderance of the evidence, and you'll be paying up. Now, truthfully, how many of those 5,000 do you think are being falsely accused? You know as well as I do - none of them. They are all guilty, and deep down inside, you know it.[/citation]
I'm not a lawyer, but the defense seems pretty straight forward.

1.) I have a wireless router.
2.) Prove which person behind the router downloaded the movie.

If that defense does not work, there is something wrong with the legal system and I'm going to start using a proxy server that doesn't keep records.

Of course if/when IPv6 comes into effect, this defense will be moot.

G

So now the game will be for movie producers to upload a shit movie as a bittorrent and then sue people for downloading the torrent they uploaded.

Nice. Time for me to make a shit movie with an interesting title and then sue people for downloading it.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]mgilbert[/nom]I live in Kentucky, and your response is rude. If you can't respect others, keep your opinions to yourself.Believe what you want. They can tell when you are downloading or uploading copyrighted material. I quit downloading movies years ago, because I realized it was immoral. I had received two written warnings, and in both cases, they knew which movies I had downloaded, and when. And they were right.When you get caught, try all the fancy explanations and arguments you want. You'll look like a fool to the judge. They've heard it all before. All that's required is a preponderance of the evidence, and you'll be paying up. Now, truthfully, how many of those 5,000 do you think are being falsely accused? You know as well as I do - none of them. They are all guilty, and deep down inside, you know it.[/citation]

Rude? Welcome to the internet, you must be new here.

Your posts are non-factual of the presumptive and ignorant kind. You are passing a judgment with trivial and circumstantial evidence, and spreading misinformation out of laziness or malice.

I am from these United States of America, and where I am from false criticism and lies are *very* rude. Get your act together.

skevil

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
It's always interesting to see people blow smoke out of their asses. Honestly, public defenders being assigned in civil suits? Theft? Reading some of these comments really made me laugh out loud.

Copyright infringement (which is the nature of the suit) is NOT theft. The 5,000 are being accused of violating the rights appropriated to Voltage Pictures under copyright law, which in this case would be the EXCLUSIVE rights to Voltage Pictures to reproduce or redistribute the film. There is NO THEFT INVOLVED. Media companies and organizations such as the RIAA and MPAA equate copyright infringement to theft to make it seem more sinister and to deter people from committing copyright infringement.

Is it a crime? Yea, so is speeding. Should there be a penalty if you get caught? Yea, just like getting a ticket for speeding. Is that going to stop anyone from committing it? No. Sorry the millions you made on the film weren't enough, but there are plenty of people out there who aren't going to shell out $40 a movie or even $15 a month. Media companies and the like the like have the right to fight, and obviously some of you here feel they should (hell I don't even care if they do), but you have to acknowledge the futility of it all.

I too feel that it's irritating how the suit works out in the end because, guilty or not, many of the defendants will choose to simply pay the $1,500 instead of fighting it, and not out of fear, but because they don't have the time, money, or desire to fight it. But I'm sure with this many defendants that some firm will end up representing a large number of them for no cost and will collect fees from Voltage if they win.

It'll be VERY interesting to see how this case proceeds and how long it takes to come to a conclusion.

In the end: be smart, don't get caught.

I live in Kentucky

That explains a lot.

I'm almost tempted to download this via BitTorrent and then immediately delete it out of spite. I can't stand it when the producer or studio behind some crappy movie gets all pissed off because a few people aren't paying to watch their crappy film. These people need to wake up and realize 2 things:

1. 95% (or higher) of the time, your product sucks. Go hire some people that can actually act, plus some supporting crew (good producers, directors and the like) and make a film that is actually worth spending money on to watch.

2. Piracy is always going to occur. There will always be some jacka$$ that decides he or she doesn't want to pay to watch your film. You're not going to be getting any money from these people anyway, so cut your (negligible) losses, and move on.

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I'm not a lawyer, but the defense seems pretty straight forward.1.) I have a wireless router.2.) Prove which person behind the router downloaded the movie.If that defense does not work, there is something wrong with the legal system and I'm going to start using a proxy server that doesn't keep records.Of course if/when IPv6 comes into effect, this defense will be moot.[/citation]

While I agree with you personally, this defense may not work... it seems you are responsible for anything downloaded from your network, which places a burden upon you to take reasonable steps to make sure it is secure. So ya might wanna encrypt that router.

jamoise

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
What if many of these people have actually bought a copy of the movie on DVD/Blueray, and wen't and saw it at the movies when it was released, and only downloaded it when it was available in digital format in the period between finishing at the at the theaters and release to DVD/blueray (Which can be quite a few months between). are they saying that these people, are stealing from them also, even after having paid to see it originally, then paying for a hard copy version when its released, only not paying for the digital version because there was no other legitimate way of obtaining the movie in the meantime.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
You either loose money with the robbers, or you lose money paying the cops to keep the robbers away.

In this case, they will spend as much money in lawyers as they would be loosing through pirates.

I agree the movie sucks. They should be glad the pirates are not charging to distribute the movie.

Plus, it is always bad PR to be seen as so greedy to go after average people.

For the record, like many of you, I also condone piracy. For $5 bucks a month you can watch a lot of crappy movies at Netflix (plug not sponsored). Why would you want to "own" today's movies, none of them can be watch more than once, if you do you'll start to pick up a bunch of mistakes that will only make the experience worst.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]For the record, like many of you, I also condone piracy.[/citation]
From the context of your post I think you meant to say 'condemn' or 'do not condone'.

I would gladly pay for a service that gives me service equal to or better than torrents. I want all movies and tv shows ever made available to download/stream. I want all media to be available as soon as it is released, including movies (they should be available to watch the day they are release in theaters, like many torrents, or at a minimum a few weeks later). If they can give me everything I want, with good speeds (most torrents max out my 15mb connection), I don't mind paying for it. Price isn't really an issue to me, its convenience.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]razorblaze42[/nom]My wife purchased this movie 2 weeks ago. It remains on the kitchen table...un-opened in protest of this law suit... I'm thinking of shooting holes in it and mailing to the greedy bastages.[/citation]
they don't care what you do with it. they got your money, after that you can throw it away for all they care. not opening it it just a waste after you bought it, unless you plan to return it.

thehockeyinjun

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010

The only problem with that case is whoever is paying your isp (from your house hold) had to agree to the useage agreement and accept all responsabilty to have internet and it doesnt matter what equipment is on your end. (the loaded gun scenario)

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]thehockeyinjun[/nom]The only problem with that case is whoever is paying your isp (from your house hold) had to agree to the useage agreement and accept all responsabilty to have internet and it doesnt matter what equipment is on your end. (the loaded gun scenario)[/citation]
Were bold AND italics really necessary? At least you didn't use all caps too.

Dear Voltage Pictures,

Excellent move by your company. I'm sure people from all over the world will pirate your product more, just to prove a point. I for one plan on downloading and seeding many of your worthless movies.

Signed,

eddieroolz.

G

Yes you are right to the above comment.. " The new American Profit Model are with mass mailings.. Mind games to Pay in Fear is the climax to this profit knowing To defend yourself with your own lawyer is far greater cost. Intimidation along with mental torture holds hands with these lawyers trying to save the cinemas/ I will tell you how to save the Cinema's .. Want My Comment. Reduce the rate. That wont happen though. I guess I will write a few representatives this evening and a few state attorneys with many articles I have read and ask they they please take immediate counsel to this. They need to be on the forefront before this gets out of hand. Excuse me It is out of hand. Enough Said.

Status
Not open for further replies.