the i7 4790k temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

m7noax

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
hey again guys, i just wounder what is your temp or cpu while plying?
suddenly today, my pc. while playing because so so slow, i restarted pc, when i start up again, it give me over temp error , i entered the bios it was 88c temp, i shut down the pc and clean the fans, i cleaned 2 in take fans of Cooler master HafX case, side, front,
after that i download a program called "RealTemp" when i run it, without games, temp is 50-52
with gaming in less than 1 minute the temp rise up to 100c or 98c!
just small note : my give my cpu cooler which was H100i to some friend he traveled 1 month ago and since that i use normal cpu fan which is intel.
any idea how to fix it?

I'm not sure what is fine? Your CPU hitting 100C! That doesn't sound fine.

There are only a few things here that could be the cause. Dirty HSF, you said you cleaned. No / or improperly applied paste, but you said this is good. The HSF mount not being done properly. Lastly too high Vcore. These are about it.

m7noax

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
i meant by fine the "CPU Fan" which means its not broken etc , if fine i can pick a solution thats my point only :)
about clean or not, i cant say to my eyes you lie, its clean mate, but do you think the thermal paste is need to change? im thinking of that, because its since august am i right?

I'm not sure about the paste. What I'd be more concerned about is the pushpins. Make sure they are in fully and securing the HSF onto the motherboard properly. You wouldn't believe the number of times that I've seen one or more of the pins not properly latched. I've even had issues and I've been messing with this garbage mount system since LGA 775. Now I don't even take the stock HSF out of the box, I have an aftermarket cooler day one. It doesn't even matter if I don't plan on overclocking.

Kalleculated

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
Wait... it is the stock cooler? I wouldnt be too surprised, since the 4790k gets pretty hot either way and by just using the stock cooler..
uh. As far as I can remember the temps were only around 80´s tho without oc.
There are alot of factors that can play a role. location of your case, air flow, thermal paste and like others already mentioned the montage.

m7noax

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016

the h100i makes my temp good does not pass 70,
i actually don't care for the temp because always i run pc cool without problem,
but today only i got that problem , because the pc become slow and i couldn't start pc because the temp was above 88c so that's new thing the stuck cooler makes it 98 probably 80, 85 i wasn't focusing on the temp that much

Kalleculated

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
I could only think of thermal throttling due to the high temperature. However I am not entirely sure about that. Normally it does not do that at around 80-90c. i might be wrong tho. Btw. whats the vcore of your cpu?

Something about how your heatsink and fan is attached is wrong. There is no way that it should be getting that hot if it is remotely installed correctly. My guess is the pushpins are in right. It could be paste, but I would think that even if you had too little or too much you'd see better cooling than this. Your CPU is at 19% usage in that picture (essentially just a little more than 1 logic core running at 100%) and you are in the mid 80's.

You need to remove that cooler and look at it closely. Maybe when you're removing it, it will be obvious that it's not attached right, or you'll find something wrong regarding the paste. Either way you can't keep using it like that, you need to remove it to find out what's wrong.

m7noax

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
ok, just small question, my windows is old almost since 1 year i fotmat my pc, do you think the usage is over?
and what is the idle usage? i dont download many programs btw

You know I use to be all for the yearly Windows refresh. That was until Windows 7 (never used Vista), Windows XP and before seemed to slow down after awhile, I called it OS rot. However since Windows 7, I haven't really ever felt the need to refresh my OS like I did before. Now it seems I only do it when I have a good reason. Like installing a new SSD or new OS (Windows 8.1 > Windows 10).

It also depends on how much you install, uninstall software. As you've said, you don't do that much. So unless you really feel that your PC is getting slower, I wouldn't. It's a long process backing everything up, re-installing Windows, drivers, Windows Updates, software, restoring your backed up data, so if the benefit doesn't justify the time needed to do all this, I wouldn't.

m7noax

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
tbh my programs are all people programs,
utorrent, steam, origin,skype,vlc, winrar, and i use notepad ++ for some games file and i have 5 games, do you advice me to upgrade it to 8.1 windows? i use 7 until now because i use it long time ago 64 bit
btw my pc specs is more than enough,
i7 4790k, i will get new graphic in a week 980 ti, i removed my R9 290x 15 days ago,
and hard disk is 500 GB.
i know a guy he is a hacker and hes screen full of programs and he uses oldest i7 version i think 2nd generation or something and winows 7 prof.
and His Hard disk is 4000 GB but his rams more than mine 12 GB mine is 8

If you have Windows 7, have you considered upgrading to Windows 10, it's free. Only OS that will have DX12. Windows 8.1 will seem odd to you after using Windows 7. However Windows 10 is a good bridge between Windows 7 and 8.1. It's still familiar enough so you will be able to get things done, but it's new enough to feel new.

I'm a gamer, I'm old, but a gamer. Been playing lots of Killing Floor 2 with my boys. I'm also the tech in the house (and my job), so I know something about computers. Windows 10 had some rough edges when it released at the end of July last year, but MicroSoft smoothed most of the main issues out in November with the update. I find it pretty much as stable as Windows 7 and much more intuitive than Windows 8.1. Every game I own works just fine in Windows 10. Very few needed any sort of special tweaking. It's not going away. The only thing you have to consider is do you want to pay for it when you decide you want it, because after July of this year, you'll have to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.