The infamous HP ScanJet 5p "grinding noice".

Is there any solution to stop the grinding noice HP ScanJet 5p scanner
produces every time...? I mean, a solution I myself can folloow! The
scanning cartridge stacks at the end of the scanning area, making that
aufull noice, and stays there like it dosen't reset back to its initial
position at the top of the glass/scanning area!
Please help!
George Fragos

"george fragos" <george_fragos@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there any solution to stop the grinding noice HP ScanJet 5p scanner
> produces every time...? I mean, a solution I myself can folloow! The
> scanning cartridge stacks at the end of the scanning area, making that
> aufull noice, and stays there like it dosen't reset back to its initial
> position at the top of the glass/scanning area!
> Please help!
> George Fragos

Don't have an HP but when my Umax started making noises I opened it up and
cleaned the tracks and rollers the head runs on. On mine it's just a couple
of screws and it's a very simple device. Basically an upside down hand
scanner with a belt drive to move it on the tracks.

Unless it's an expensive scanner you could probably buy a new one for what
it would cost to have it repaired. I looked at it as nothing to lose.

Had the same thing on my HP4c. It was making a terrible grinding noise.
Opened it up, cleaned the rails with a bit of solvent and re-lubricated with
some silicon. That was 2 yrs ago and it is still working great.
Gord