The Joys of Computer Tinkering...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Do you enjoy tinkering with/overclocking high end or lower end systems?

• Higher End Systems (a fast quad/triples/duo & GPU > $150)

Votes: 35 61.4%
  • Lower End Systems (single core, lower end duo/triple/quad, GPU < $150)

Votes: 22 38.6%

• Total voters

Makes a pencil mod a dream.

Once I took a laptop with a AMD K6-II in it. Filpped some switches on the mobo and it went from 266MHz to 400MHz. Drained the battery so fast I had to keep it plugged into the wall.

randomizer

Champion

Go back to the original Pentiums and you're looking at 3V :lol:

Ah DIP switches. The good old days of overclocking where it wasn't a simple BIOS setting.

The 8088 used in the original IBM PC used 5V, and it's predecessor, the 8080 (used in computers such as the Altair) used +5V, -5V and 12V. :ouch:

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Well as our chips get smaller so do the voltages... and pineapples.

They wouldn't be recent Intel but a lot of the CPUs had pin/pencil mods. Hell that one random posted was back before AMD discovered a IHS and let the CPU hang high and dry for dust and such.

I know some CPUs that people had would lose a pin and still work and some would change the flow of the voltage thus increasing the FSB and OCing it. The Q6600 has a tape mod to set it to a always 333MHz FSB.

Yep, in those days it did. But despite the (relatively) higher voltages, those old systems didn't use all that much power. The power supply in the original IBM PC was less than 65 watts.

randomizer

Champion
High voltage means lower current, and since the actual power consumption was lower than today the current was lower still. These days the current supplied to a modern CPU is huge. I wish they could sustain 240V so I could run them with almost no current when connected to a wall socket :)

Yea the not so good ones. I saw a Papaya that was 2-3 times the normal size. Tasted like crap compared to the natural ones you can get in Hawaii.

Slot A had an IHS, sort of. :whistle:

i probably will once i have the money to build a new computer..... (thats if caps on my motherboard survive that long. :whistle: )

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

GTX 3XX?

Hehehe... something tells me you'll be waiting a long time (perhaps sometime in March maybe later).

Bloodblender

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I don't get that much experience with high-end stuff, hell, the best I've seen on-hand is a GTS 250 and HD 4980 + Core 2 Quad.

Having said that, I basically CRAVE for higher end tinkering, because most of the stuff I do are all old Pentium 4's and the occasional 65nm Core 2 Duo with some cheap but still fun HD 3450 graphics.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

Unlocking cores if im building a PC for someone else, because that way they are extra pleased and i get more money :D