The Joys of Computer Tinkering...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Do you enjoy tinkering with/overclocking high end or lower end systems?

• Higher End Systems (a fast quad/triples/duo & GPU > $150)

Votes: 35 61.4%
  • Lower End Systems (single core, lower end duo/triple/quad, GPU < $150)

Votes: 22 38.6%

• Total voters

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
More fun to screw with higher end stuff to see what you can achieve . . . until you fry something and lose 5x the money.

@Shadow703793

I've got the Gigabyte X58-UD3R and I'm OCing fine with my i7. Stable under 70C at 3.5GHz (167M BClock) and 1.275V.

+1000. I miss the old BSEL mods,etc

For those that don't know, the Golden Bridges mod was used to unlock the multiplier of the Athalon Classic.

Whats next? +10,000 and +100,000 to the next post(s). :lol: jk.

I enjoy messing with just about any type of system. I will say that I do more messing with older systems since they actually may need some upgrades/tweaking- new ones shouldn't for a while if you built them well. Plus you can get some very interesting older high-end parts for a pittance, whereas new interesting high-end parts are very expensive and well out of my reach.

kiren

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
I usually don't overclock much unless its either a secondary computer, or something I'm on the verge of upgrading anyway. This is partially because when new it can usually do everything I bought it for, and partially because I can't easily afford to replace it :p
Once its in a secondary system its fair game though.... some notable ones:
Opteron 148 2.2@2.75GHz
Pentium II 350@466 (133fsb)
And a Pentium 133 that managed to boot into windows on a 100FSB (200MHz) wasn't super stable though....

the%20cake%20is%20a%20lie.jpg

:eek: OH NOOOO.........

My life is in magnificent shambles [:tapko]

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
ops wrong selection...

anyways, i do have a i7, and as said before, the thign is so fast that any amount of ocing feels like nothing... recently i was running at 4 ghz, but then i went to stock voltage and got it to 3.4, and it did not feel any slower (about ~8-10 TFLOP drop in linux if i remembered correctly), and the fans on my TRUE isnt running anywhere as fast.... Then about the Ocing the 5870... that didn't really chance anything as crysis warhead was playable on enthusiast at 1920*1200 before the oc, and with a slight 875/1200 oc it was like meh....

on the other hand, with my old 7900GS, every mhz seemed like a improvement, even back when i used 1280*1024, and every mhz out of the a64 3200 seems to speed windows up by a lot. that could be just perception, or remembering the good parts of the old rig, but hey it just feels that way...

now the old thing is running undervolt at stock speed with a SI-120 and no cpu fan on it and being used by my parents (i guess the 7900 has to be bored rofl), guess it was a good run lol, a fitting retirement for these old parts

drool...

Ah, the 4GHz milestone... I have yet to achieve that on my dual and quad cores...

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
oooo yeah i guess the whole cuda and gpgpu ppl would need as much as they got, well maybe fermi will be that good lol

but for me, a gamer, i don't care that much rofl

So it's possible to unlock a single core (sempron?) into a dual core.
And a Phenom dual core into a quad core.
And an Athlon triple core and Phenom triple core into a quad core.

Are there any Athlon dual cores into quad cores?

kiren

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
There is one model of sempron that can be unlocked that I know of. From what I've read the Athlon II x2 only has two cores physically on the die, so there isn't anything to unlock. I've heard rumors of unlocking the x3's though.

Unlocking X3s into quads seem fairly more common.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I doubt it given I use a G31 mobo with junky RAM.