[SOLVED] The law and wireless internet.

Sep 22, 2020
I filed a complaint with the fcc on straight talk last night due to unusable data speed long before my plan says I should be throttled. So I need to get up to snuff on what I should reasonably expect when it comes to data speed, so I don't come off as the idiot I presently am when they reply to me.

Any input in what the law says I should expect in this area would be helpful. Thanks

Solution
How much do you pay for service? Verizon has their own prepaid service called "Visible" which is what I'm on. If you can get 3 people to join, it's only $25/mo for unlimited. I have my iphone dual sim'd with my company service which is also Verizon and speeds are exactly the same. I don't notice any slowdowns anywhere. https://www.visible.com/party-pay-terms

kanewolf

Titan
I filed a complaint with the fcc on straight talk last night due to unusable data speed long before my plan says I should be throttled. So I need to get up to snuff on what I should reasonably expect when it comes to data speed, so I don't come off as the idiot I presently am when they reply to me.

Any input in what the law says I should expect in this area would be helpful. Thanks
You would have to look at the contract terms you signed.
Most of them have "UP TO" or other weasel words.

Reactions: Austin86
Sep 22, 2020
The law will side with the terms of the contract (that you agreed to). Have you spoken to ST about any of this?

Here is what happened, and, FWIW, the contract was drom non existant, to extremely vague on the speeds.

So, I was getting anywhere from unusable to half men or so during the day, and after around 10pm, say 3 to 5 mbps.

After I filed the complaint, they tried to blame my phone but to make a long story short, I just didn't buy it and could prove it.

This went on for around a week or two and I sort of list faith. This morning my speeds were at 50 to 60mbps, someting I didnt even think possible 4 or 5 mi from the tower.

I was kind of learning as I went on this one and I did learn a lot, but mainly, never underestimate the power of the FCC complaint, lve had plenty of experience with the fcc on cable and the always stopped them from rippong me off, so I should have known. Thing is the cable/dsl isp always came back in a month or so, to try to take more of my money, but I did warn these people from the start, I would file another complaint each time they throttle me, but well just have to see how it goes.

Just thought some of you would like to know. And, btw, it's very easy to file with the fcc online.

Here is what happened, and, FWIW, the contract was drom non existant, to extremely vague on the speeds.

So, I was getting anywhere from unusable to half men or so during the day, and after around 10pm, say 3 to 5 mbps.

After I filed the complaint, they tried to blame my phone but to make a long story short, I just didn't buy it and could prove it.

This went on for around a week or two and I sort of list faith. This morning my speeds were at 50 to 60mbps, someting I didnt even think possible 4 or 5 mi from the tower.

I was kind of learning as I went on this one and I did learn a lot, but mainly, never underestimate the power of the FCC complaint, lve had plenty of experience with the fcc on cable and the always stopped them from rippong me off, so I should have known. Thing is the cable/dsl isp always came back in a month or so, to try to take more of my money, but I did warn these people from the start, I would file another complaint each time they throttle me, but well just have to see how it goes.

Just thought some of you would like to know. And, btw, it's very easy to file with the fcc online.

Keep in mind that the high speed usage from those pre-paid limited plans resets monthly. Your higher speeds could be just you are in a new monthly cycle of 4G speeds again.

Sep 22, 2020
I'm actually pretty new at this phone data stuff, but what I'm getting is ST and others like them charge a low price but in the end it my be better to just pony up the big bucks for a network that works like it should.

IOW we pay one way or another

I'm actually pretty new at this phone data stuff, but what I'm getting is ST and others like them charge a low price but in the end it my be better to just pony up the big bucks for a network that works like it should.

IOW we pay one way or another

Yep, that is why I stick with Verizon, best and most reliable service. I have never been in a place where my phone did not work when others did, always the other way around. Using a service that uses the Verizon towers may also be good, Total Wireless is Verizon's sub-brand. Just need a compatible phone for it.

Sep 22, 2020
Thanks for the tip
Ive often thought it wouold be great to do one of those group things but never could get enough people together.

Unfortunately, I figure the best I can do with a single line is the $60 per month plan I'm now using. It includes 20gb hotspot that comes in very handy when one doesn't have standard home internet.