The Mac as a Gaming Platform, the New Era

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ncr7002[/nom]yes it makes sense, I'll go sell my Xbox360 and my PC right now 'cause now I can play on a Mac ! yay !You gotta be kidding me.[/citation]

never underestimate apple fans.

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]How about everyone that realizes it's nothing new and is shit?[/citation]
After your first 2 comments I wrote you off as a moron. Talk about a 4th quarter comeback! Well played, sir! (=

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]I'm sure Mac users are happy they are going to be getting 5-6+ year old titles.[/citation]Of course they are. In fact most of the best games are even older than 5-6 years.

G

Once Valve/Steam are fully onboard the OS X platform, Steve Jobs will do to the snooty, contemptuous high-end gaming niche what he has done to the music, phone, & techpad worlds: decimate it & all the byzantine Windoze competition.

How? He'll make a 'Mac Gaming Pro' box: totally with slots, expandability & compatibility for the latest/greatest graphics cards, cooling systems, and gaming input/output devices.

And he'll sell it at a loss (he's got >$30 billion in cash to do so), to bring the MGP at, near, or even lower the cost of a competing PC config. So even the most unwashed, entitlement-driven, basement PC-gaming dweller will lose his 'Oh but Macs are so expensive p.o.s. machines!' pseudo-argument, once and for all; as it will be cheaper to buy a superior Mac.

Jobs waits for all the necessary stars to align before hyperspacing into a market. And Valve was the last piece of the puzzle before the high-end niche-gaming window of opportunity could open.

The Wheels of Karma & Fate are in motion....

You Will Be Assimilated....

... and DirectX will eventually sail off into the sunset...............

goldenthunder

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Well, the future seems bright. This is exactly what I expect: if I buy a game (movie, song etc) I expect it to work on any platform the was published for (PC, XBox, Mac, Linux) without paying for each version. Downloadable content is the future in my eyes. Paying for content (and content only) and not worrying about it not working on one of my devices (DRM etc).
Copies are also easy to make (everything is stored online) and I don't have to worry about it getting lost/damaged.

Let's see how Portal will perform on my Macbook :)

G

35% of all software revenue is generated by Mac users even though they only make up 9% of the market. Valve knows where the money is.

albion000

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I want to take a holistic view of this. See, the worry is that the purchaser base is not large enough to support game development for computers as opposed to consoles. By including the Macs (and presuming the cycle for adaptation isn't cost prohibitive) suddenly a whole new range of purchasers become available--people who are well happy to pay. Some people might also be more likely to buy from Valve, or other content providers, thanks to their being willing to allow cross-platform "gifting," play, or key activation. Again, this isn't aimed at PC gamers or hardcore gamers in general. It's aimed at Mac users who might want to get into something.

The whole Apple philosophy is to use branding to get into a niche, and not to steal share from others but "activate" a large base of people who aren't in the market at all. So we are not the target for this. Not even the Mac-phile posters here are the target for this kind of outreach. After all, PopCap has made more money than virtually any other PC game publisher (Blizzard possibly excepted) for several years running, and most "serious" gamers snort at them.

We are remarkably irrelevant to the whole balance sheet. I despise Macs because I find them counterintuitive, but some people love them, and I think it's good to bring them into the market even if belatedly and incompletely. To each their own.

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]builderbobftwIt is fine to experiment in your home and I am not going to question that. The internet is full of hacking procedures on everything but I am trying to establish the performmance difference between gaming parts and Pro parts for those who don't know this yet but want a future in the legal world. You can hack a Mac too. Well, if you do you already know its builded over the same PC parts, but the motherboard is not standard. The Mac Pro uses the same Intel Xeons, ATI cards and also NVidia Quadro parts. It is limited in configurations as the selection of parts is limited. But if you come to me with the price argument, well, go to HP or BOXX for a high end workstation or rendering server and come back with the numbers. Those machines are for serious business and you pay a lot more for smaller but considerable increments in performance. They do the hack too, but it comes with a service and a warranty. Well, a Mac Pro is a qualified workstation that can run some big graphic apps but is not the ultimate machine for performance. It is not a gaming rig or a server.Try to go to Pixar or Dreamworks or to any serious big or small creative studio with this arguments. Hacking hardware and installing Pro graphic drivers on gaming parts, making very little or no difference in what you use or call workstation, server or gaming machine. All this will put in risk a business just to save little money. What is next, hack the software license too? Or do you pay for your license? If you do, then why are you hacking a gaming card with Pro drivers?You can bypass all that but then, when your clients systems fail in a critical time give a call to Nvidia or ATI or Intel or any PC maker and explain to them what you were doing with their parts and drivers.And, if you get cut running a business with a funny license be prepare to pay all the money you never had.When you pay $3500 for a Pro card, 7K on a Mac or 20K for a BOXX workstation you are getting a service, a warranty, from the company and the engineers who created the card and the drivers. And who will pay for an expensive Pro app like Autostudio over a gaming rig. Are you going to pay an expensive license to install the software on a gaming rig? Bring in your rigs but with the support, license and warranty and then we are talking.Then ask me again if I am "serious". Serious is exactly the wrong concept you used.Be very careful with what you are saying as there is younger friends here and there and they need to know the right way. If they decide later to take a short cut they may face the consequences.[/citation]

I feel like you're completely missing the point.

Of course places like Dreamworks aren't going to run a bunch of hacked cards in their systems; they've got plenty of money to throw around and no desire to deal with potential side effects, voiding their warranties, etc. Funnily enough, this is also entirely irrelevant to the article. Dreamworks doesn't build their machines for people to GAME on them. That is NOT the target audience for the Steam conversion. This article is about GAMING and the moving of a popular distro system to a different (mac) platform, and you have absolutely NO ground to stand on when it comes to the performance of Macs in the area of gaming. They're subpar and overpriced for the gaming arena, end of story.

Along the whole super awesome workstation vein, you actually can't get a FireGL or Quadro card inside a Mac Pro on their site. The only options are 1-4 GT120s, or a single ATI 4870, none of which are particularly appealing on a system with a BASE cost of $2500 for any market segment involved in graphics. Furthermore, if you take the system cost up into the 11k range you're still only getting dual quad cores and a lot of storage. (I'm also a little confused as to why 16GB of RAM costs $1850 more than 3GB since you can buy 16GB (of faster RAM) on NewEgg for at most $889, but that's not really relevant.) In short, there is nothing at all "high end" about the base configuration of a Mac Pro with the possible exception of the Xeon(s). In fact it will barely outperform all but the cheapest of PC options with the hardware it has by default, and will in fact get absolutely torn apart by a similarly priced PC in ANY benchmark you care to name, from gaming to 3D rendering to photoshop benchmarks.

Finally, people are entitled to pay for software to run on whatever the hell they want, and yes that includes gaming PCs. I seriously doubt that a system with an OC'ed 980X and one or more 5970s or GTX480s is going to have any trouble running something like AutoStudio, let alone something slightly lower-end like an i7 920 with a 5850 or 5770, for all that it may run better with a "pro" card.

Most of what you wrote doesn't make a great deal of sense, especially in context, and I think if you had a better command of English you might come off a little less deluded/ignorant. As it stands, I don't think you have the slightest idea what you're talking about. All I've seen from you are arbitrary numbers, smoke, mirrors and big namebrand references.

bp 4575

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
"...but Apple could care less about..."

It's "COULDN'T care less". How the bloody potato has this ridiculous term spread so wide spread in America?

G

"It has become a bit easier to create Mac games since the transition to Intel chips", aren't the major consoles all PPC derivatives (x-box, wii, ps3) seems like the best games run on obsolete chips.

ottozero

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
In the end.. Valve will make more money than all other PC Game Developers and Publishers.
This is what I see happening in the future of Gaming..
Consoles:
Nintendo=Wii HD-3D (yes blu-ray discs)
Sony=PS4 3-D with optional Cloud support (and going out on a limb here with Gooogle OS support)
Microsoft=Xbox 3-D with Cloud based support

Computers:
PC= Valve/Battle-net/Onlive
Mac=Valve/battle-net/Onlive
Linux=??? Guess not ready yet...
Google OS=????

I can definitely see the mac as a competitor in the future of Gaming.

G

As a Mac user I am excited about this. I choose to use a Mac for lots of reasons, none of which is hard-core gaming. Nothing against it, I'm just not into it. But if I can get hold of what seem to be high quality, critically acclaimed games from Valve, I might bite. Apple is selling 2-3 million Macs a quarter now. That's a significant market, and it's growing faster than the PC market as a whole. And as the article points out, it's a market that is known to spend money.

Comments about spending $2000 for a less capable gaming machine really miss the point. Mac users in general are not hard-core gamers, and if they are, they have a dedicated PC for that purpose. And Valve in now way expects hard-core gamers to dump their gear and go buy a Mac. By making this move Valve gets first-mover advantage in a growing, virtually untapped market. It's a smart business move for Valve, and it means more gaming options for Mac users.

MrJbot

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
More like new world order and loss of freedom for gamers with commandant Jobs at the helm. We can all play games at Starbucks wile drinking our organic coffee while trying to save the world one apple product at a time. Until the new model comes out next year and i half to upgrade to keep playing. Ah yes my I Life shall be complete and Ill be one of Jobs little minions. This fall Ireligion and Ijesus to complete my set.

MrJbot

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
why buy at 2300 mac when i could buy a 1300 dollar kick ass gaming rig that wont scorch my table. we all saw the mac book pro with the I7 bench marks. Plus this is just another way for commandant jobs to create more Iclones. I do think apple puts good hardware in there machines, but they are very expensive for the same thing. Oh did your hear apple is launching
IJesus this Christmas, you trade your soul to apple and they use saffari to find and delete your sins its great.

G

"In fact, the first Mac games date back to the late 1970s"

Wow. Who new it would take 10 years to code Dark Castle.

Ah, The Mac came out in 1984 dude.

pyroghozt

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Do we really care about MacNewbs Getting Source? If anything we are excited that we will have moar newbs to pew pew :) What we really care about is what this means for Linux.
Linux is much better than mac os and windows and its free. Its well optimized and doesn't waste resources.

Running the latest games on Linux natively would be a huge victory for the PC Enthusiast, No longer would we be forced to use Windows for gaming. It would cut the cost down on building a new gaming rig.(Assuming you were paying for Windows in the 1st place)

either way Valve making their games available to a different audience is a good move on their part, lets hope that others follow in their footsteps.

But more so lets look forward to the cries of suffering coming from the mac newbs and the many complaints of performance issues they will be having when they try play Half Life 2 :)

ottozero

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Top of the line Custom Order PC From no Paint Job added Fully Maxed out with NO MONITOR: Origin
cost Subtotal:$17,681.00
http://www.originpc.com

Top of the Line Mac Pro Fully Maxed out Plus two 30in Monitors From:Apple
Cost Subtotal:17,287.00

Come on.. two 4 quad core CPU's... for a total of 8-CORES!!!!
All apple has to do is OFFER the i7 6-core and Switch out the Xeon CPU's and add two/three PCIe 2.1 Slots to Become the Game of Gaming.....

Oh well Just thought I would Point that out :D

G

Hahaha All I read is Snivveling winBlows users with No clue on what a Unix GL system requires and can do.
Just to poiint it out.
Using the Same CPU/GPU combo on a MAC, (VS WinBlows) is Much faster.. Much more relyable.
So it will Play Crysis at full 100% (if they ever cvompiled it for OpenGL)
So we all know GL does not offer the same graphic functionality. so Crysis will run much much faster.. (much less GPU CPU required) A much more efficent Operating system.. More performace to do real things..
Mac Crysis anybody...

I see this as a good thing.. for sure we will see a lot more Winblowz players running Hackintoshes for the simple reasons detailed above. (much faster, relyable.. ohh yeahh.. no viruses..) .. much better security.. and the list goes on..

ottozero

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I like to compare Apples with Apples... Desktop vs Desktop...All-in-one vs All-in-one.

So their you have it people.

Oh and Yes anybody could Build a Faster Custom build PC..So lets not even go there... My point was to say Apple Can Produce a Gaming PC if it wanted to and Be very successful at it, but it wont because the truth is............Please keep this a secret...........STEVE JOBS sucks at Video games and he will therefore not allow a the Mac to become a PC Game SYSTEM....Steven ...YOU SUCK :D

I don't know if I particularly like this announcement. One one hand I'm ecstatic that gaming will really grow in the POSIX community. Its about damn time, hopefully it'll herald a revamping of the OpenGL standard. On the other hand ... I really dislike Apple and how it goes about its business model of making people into sheep. Will Apple latter attempt to shutdown / sabotage steam when Apple decides to roll out their own gaming system?

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
In 5 years Steve Jobs will be having press conferences telling people why steam is evil and that it's no longer allowed on his platform because HTML6 is so much better. If I were a tech company, I'd be very leery of partnering with apple given their recent track record.

Status
Not open for further replies.