Question The "magic blue smoke" happened to me

Jan 20, 2024
So I bought new ram sticks and a psu. From 2x8 to 2x16 and from 650w corsair to 750w bequiet! Installed them imo correctly. Little thing to note was that its -16c here and the parts were cold. I let them sit for about an hour next to a heater and then installation took about an hour. Anyways first startup I get yellow light on mobo (DRAM), so I took the ram off and put them back in. When I turn the pc on I hear a click sound and see smoke coming from the red circle area in the picture below

I called up a repair shop near me and I brought it in. We first put the old ram in and the pc works. Next we put the new ram in and works again. We do benchmarks and get some dust off the pc without any problems.

Should I be scared of my pc breaking any second now? Should I change some parts? Is there anything I can do other than wait?

TLDR; Installed new parts, had smoke shut down pc, took it to repair shop. Everything (temps fps etc) works fine.

When I turn the pc on I hear a click sound and see smoke coming from the red circle area in the picture below
What is located in that red circled area?
Can you zoom in closer and make higher resolution image?
You seem to have circled cutout hole in motherboard backplate.
Is there any visible damage? Burn marks? anything?

Do you have a fan controller installed behind motherboard backplate?

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
So I bought new ram sticks and a psu. From 2x8 to 2x16 and from 650w corsair to 750w bequiet! Installed them imo correctly. Little thing to note was that its -16c here and the parts were cold. I let them sit for about an hour next to a heater and then installation took about an hour. Anyways first startup I get yellow light on mobo (DRAM), so I took the ram off and put them back in. When I turn the pc on I hear a click sound and see smoke coming from the red circle area in the picture below

I called up a repair shop near me and I brought it in. We first put the old ram in and the pc works. Next we put the new ram in and works again. We do benchmarks and get some dust off the pc without any problems.

Should I be scared of my pc breaking any second now? Should I change some parts? Is there anything I can do other than wait?

TLDR; Installed new parts, had smoke shut down pc, took it to repair shop. Everything (temps fps etc) works fine.
Magic smoke (also factory smoke, blue smoke, or the genie) is a humorous name for the caustic smoke produced by severe electrical over-stress of electronic circuits or components, causing overheating and an accompanying release of smoke.

Jan 20, 2024
What is located in that red circled area?
Can you zoom in closer and make higher resolution image?
You seem to have circled cutout hole in motherboard backplate.
Is there any visible damage? Burn marks? anything?

Do you have a fan controller installed behind motherboard backplate?
Just the area next to the motherboard. Thats where I saw the smoke. Dont know if it came from the cable, the ram or behind the pc.

No visible marks on anywhere expect behind motherboard which I have not checked

To my knowledge no.

The only thing there is your 24 pin power conector. Did the shop inspect the cable by pulling it and looking at the pins on both the cable and where it connects on motherboard. Any burn or smoke leftovers.

Could your hand have bumped the cable while putting in the memory ?

Is the cable fully latched down ?

Or like suggested the smoke came from that ovel opening wire passthrough.

If you do inspect it please have computer unpluged from the wall and at least hold down power switch to drain left over juice in power supply before you look at pins.

Jan 20, 2024
The only thing there is your 24 pin power conector. Did the shop inspect the cable by pulling it and looking at the pins on both the cable and where it connects on motherboard. Any burn or smoke leftovers.

Could your hand have bumped the cable while putting in the memory ?

Is the cable fully latched down ?

Or like suggested the smoke came from that ovel opening wire passthrough.

If you do inspect it please have computer unpluged from the wall and at least hold down power switch to drain left over juice in power supply before you look at pins.
If it was the cable shouldn't my pc be unusable right now?