Discussion The MagSafe death toll thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
How many of these have you been through and how fast?

My original MagSafe 2 didn't make it to 1 year old and the insulation frayed at the MagSafe end. Bought a new one

The replacement also lasted less than year (about 10 months) and then had exactly the same failure of exposed cable, but working, just with the issue of exposed cable.

Weirdly, this adaptor has pretty much never moved. It was plugged in the day it was bought and has stayed there (compared to the first one which went up and down at uni all the time). In any case, neither cable was treated any worse than the adaptors for my Windows laptops which, all bar 1, went for years before giving up like that. They were all treated the same (within reason)

Mine lasted 2 years, has to do with the type of cable Apple uses. I heard if you take it back to a store and "nicely" complaint it should not fail so soon, they may give you a new one. Helps if you still have AppleCare.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

Applecare has been pretty much useless. They gave a one time exception for mine and they are replacing the bit with the magsafe and are replacing the bit with the magsafe, not the plug part. I think when my MacBook dies I'll just go back to exclusively Windows. Not paying so much to have stuff break under normal use

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

True

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS