The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 304 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I went from a 1080p 27" to this 1440p 27" and for that jump it was definitely worth it. Very noticeable difference.

Funny though, the other day someone posted how they went up to something like a 32" 4G screen and were saying how glad they were to upgrade from their PB278Q (the monitor I currently have).

All a matter of what you are used to I guess.

With the GTX970 coming (looks like Thursday), that will open up some display upgrade options, but I'll give FC4 a whirl and see what I think.
I'm thinking of pulling the RAID1 out of Omega and then selling it on Craigslist or eBay, for local pickup/delivery only.

I really like FC4, I just got captured and finished Act Two, I guess I'm in prison in Northern Kyrat, trying to escape. That's the part I don't like about Ubisoft games, all the sneaking around. I like to walk into an Outpost with an assault rifle and just hammer it out. Maybe a grenade launcher and sniper rifle, but sneaking around doing takedowns and hiding bodies is not my cup of tea.

My one gripe about FC4 is I'm halfway through the game and it's still broken. Crossfire doesn't work period, SLI from what I hear, is hit or miss, people using multiple monitor arrays are having major issues, people with resolutions above 1080p seem to complain a lot about stuttering.

It seems like to really enjoy the game you want a single card like a GTX 770 or R9 280 or better, on a 1080p monitor. The game runs pretty well for me using a single R9 270x and a 1080p monitor. I get a little stutter from time to time but I like the game enough that I keep playing.

G - I am saving my i3-4360 to use in a RVZ02! Gonna be an awesome HTPC light gaming machine for the living room.

There's a lot of that too. You can set mines, plant C4, distract someone by throwing a rock and get them to walk in the vicinity. My favorite tactic is flying the mini chopper with the sidearm grenade launcher dropping off presents for all the baddies!

Yeah, if an enemy can potentially see you a visual indicator appears on the screen. And you typically use your camera to view and tag people before you approach, and tagged persons remain on your radar until you take care of them.

The battery in my APC Back-Ups 750ES finally reached the end of its useful life (installed in 2007, so I got my money's worth from it). This UPS runs my router, cable modem, DSL modem, and phone. I had used it to run a PC, but my SG-650 wouldn't run on it, so I replaced it with one of the Cyberpower APFC units.
APC identifies that battery as a "RBC4," and wanted $69 for another one. Their web site did not identify the Ampere-hours of this battery, and there are no markings on the battery or its labels indicating capacity; I consider that a MAJOR no-no. A nearby BatteriesPlus wanted $35 for an 8Ah replacement, but I found a 12Ah replacement through Newegg for $33 (with free shipping; AGM batteries are heavy).

g-unit1111

Titan

Speaking of things that have ended their useful life, my Gigabyte Z68 motherboard finally bit the dust. I believe that was my first thread on this board asking about whether or not I should buy this motherboard. Man time flies. :lol:

g-unit1111

Titan

Bent pins. I don't know how that happened either. But it did happen. Must be from switching out cases too many times.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I don't exactly have what one would call the steadiest hand. :lol:

I've heard that if you take CPUs and motherboards to jewelers they have the tools to be able to straighten them out, I wonder if anyone here has tried that.

I did it with a utility knife, get a close look at it and glance down the rows and columns of pins. You'll be able to see which pins are out of line, then gently move them over. They don't have to be perfect, they just have the contact the pads on the CPU. Do not let any of the pins touch each other! Depending on the pin this could be irreversible if powered up.

RussK1

Splendid

That's what I did. Well a razor blade and good eyesight @ 2am lol. It worked!

Guys a little help....I installed something and it came with some StartPoint Search engine BS and I cant get rid of it.....I tried uninstalling and changing my default search engine on firefox but it wont go.....I googled and it said do that and it didnt work.

Thanks Ill try

Edit - it found it and i clicked delete and it said deleted but its still my home page..

Edit 2 - Got rid of it :) Thanks Onus! You just have the answers to everything, dont you? You scare me...you sneaky you.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Haha, like do I not have school today or in general? I have school from 7:45am to 7:30pm, so I get kinda bored sometimes and either go on my phone or my watch and just browse the web. My school has the whole ipad ecosystem, but try to only do school work on there. Stay updated on all this stuff b/c of reddit mainly.