The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 332 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
YAY JAYZTWOCENTZ!!! I haven't seen him put up too many videos lately, probably busy with work and his new family member. Barnacles is one of my favorites just for the crazy stuff he does(c'mon, 3D printed wrench, OUYA, 3 50 inch flatscreens).

I reclaimed 100 gigs of space from defragging. This tells me that I should have not deleted my Virtual Machines... It says I can claim 40 more gigs. Last time it said 50 and i got double that back... There goes several hours of hard work.

On a random side note, my friend challenged me to go from MS-DOS to Windows 10. It is possible. A pain in the arse, but possible.

Urgh, headache, Nausea, Sore throat, runny nose, and my work is on the computer -.-.

anybody got experience with raspberry pi? i want a the new 2 model to run xbmc but im not exactly sure if the netflix issue has been worked out. otherwise i was thinking hacking an amazon fire stick to use it for access to my network collection and netflix streaming.

i want to get rid of my bulky ps3 i only use as a netflix streamer and for access to network. along with a somewhat crappy bluray player in another room, though it is a cineva free player, its just dated and slow.

im in the process of building a light htpc/nas and the other room, g3420t+h81 mini and at least a 2tb to start off with. otherwise im connecting to my sig rig for streaming which is obviously overpowered.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

not sure about the new one. Use a different OS. The new one supports a skewed version of Windows 10...

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Bossyfins - Maybe I have met him :3 No sadly haha....he lives in the left side of Canada (Vancouver, I live in Ontario haha)

Yes, I have heard of Carey Holzman. He makes great videos, but I don't like some of the tips he gives. Like for one, he tells you to spread the thermal paste....WHY! And the way he installs the drives, like the HDD, and SSD's, he uses the top, removable cage, even thou you can take that off, to help with airflow of the case. Honestly, I like the guy, but he needs to get with the new times IMO.

Pc builder - Canada computers is alright, but it's awful. It's either, tigerdirect, or Canada computers. Their policies are terrible (They don't accept headset/headphone returns, due to "Hygiene" reasons, and you can't return Samsung tablets for some reason)

Future shop only sells old graphics cards, and windows laptops / tablets now. You can't even buy memory, or a HDD from best buy either haha.

Tiny voices - The problem with people like Linus, is that he gets paid to say good things. It's almost impossible for him to give proper good/bad review about the tech he reviews. He's very biased IMO. But he does make some good videos time to time, like the watercooling room he did.

tek syndicate, Tech of tomorrow, Austin evens, Paul's hardware, jaystwocent, and Hardwarecanucks are some of my favorite tech channels to watch, aspecially tek syndicate :D

I haven't tested the LTT forums, but they're pretty biased too. They only recommend things that Linus recommends. This + the subreddits, like /r/buildapc, /r/Pcmasterrace (I get it's a joke, but they have a great, friendly community there. They're very welcoming to new people, and to answering questions as well) and /r/PCgaming over at reddit are great.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I got into r/pcmasterrace, r/buildapc, r/hardwareswap, r/cablemanagment, r/mechanicalkeyboards and so on a few months ago and I really like them. Over the last year or so they have ,atured and actually become a mostly respectful/diligent community, although they do craze over things like 3.5gb 970 and the heat of r9 290s alot..

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
tek syndicate, Tech of tomorrow, Austin evens, Paul's hardware, jaystwocent, and Hardwarecanucks are some of my favorite tech channels to watch, aspecially tek syndicate :D

I watch all of them. Not so much Austin Evens. His content isn't that entertaining or informative to me.

MY GOD, 2 telsa updates today and 4 within a 2 week span....the first one added a curtain for the sensors and added some bits of auto pilot to cruise but didnt fully release auto pilot. Lots of new stuff, and 2 updates today...morning and night...the one now was just weird. seems buggy...handles wouldnt go in, and screens were all black when i opened, after clicking lock and unlock many times, the back door handles went in, than out, i opened those and the front door handles popped out a bit more so i opened those then the screens went on and all was well.....I hope that was jut a "Mid update" issue and not a bug with the update.

Bossy - CAREY!!!! I LOVE HIM! I swear I watched OVER 10 HOURS OF VIDEOS FROM HIM on how to build a PC...yep, sorry guys, I learned from youtube videos. AND HIS! Thats why the second I got my case I built my PC in 2 hours MAX! No searching or googling during the building. Just pure knowledge from that great sir!

I too love him. Great guy, and videos to get started. Makes it seem so simple, even though it is simple. I hope he goes and begins recommending other psus, and not cx/cs series of psus for gaming computers. lol

But yea, great guy.

Thats what happens when you buy a car like that. You have to be ready for all kinds of things to go wrong. Reliable is not a word ever used describe Tesla's.

They do tend to catch fire in crashes alot. They are REALLY new designs still. Consider them "beta" cars. Elon Musk is a genius and that is a fact. Electric cars might be the future, but I think they are still the FUTURE, not the NOW.

bossy - Yep!!

Tiny - Oh God, not this again! :p Na, the car has been PERFECT 4000+ miles in and thats the ONLY issue we ever had and it lasted 3 minutes....and Im sure it was because I opened the door and messed with the car during the update which isnt allowed....so, my bad! DUDE THE RANGE INCREASED BY LIKE 10 miles! and more. My dad used to come home from work with 108 miles left after charging 85% to 240 (daily usage) and now its 118 and 121 sometimes! :D Teslas are reliable, It was me that screwed up. The car can be used and operated even if the screen is off, even if the key is dead. Trust me.

Bossy - ......It isnt a fisker karma :lol: Dude it only happened like one time to someone and that was a long time ago, the model s got a 5 star safest car of the year award by many people. "Reliable is not a word ever used describe Tesla's. " Sounds a little harsh, Dont it? :(

Tiny you know way more than I do on cars, but we both know its safe and reliable.

EDIT: I mentioned the bug I had on the tesla forums, NO ONE got it. Again, it was me from being impatient. I know i cant change the way you think about them but....oh well. One got in a crash from an M5 and it didnt set fire....They dont do that. That was back in "beta" days of it. Like you said Elon is brilliant and he would talk about the fire issue....if it existed.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Kinda like my moto 360... it's cool and great, and I can browse the web when I'm bored, dial, weather and all and it works, and with lolipop battery life is WAY longer, but it seems so... undone.... it just needs som emore time to develop, the hardware and the software. It's not bad in anyways, and even surprisingly useful, but can just use some work on it.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
safe and reliable... That's what they said of tanks... I am pretty sure someone has HAD to have said that. And if not, I just did(probably not true since the only tanks I know are the Sherman, Panther, and Abrahams).

Tesla's are not really "reliable" by modern car terms. They are good for fully electric cars, but compared to modern internal combustion engines, they not even close. Simply too new. Anyone who has owned a Tesla for over a year would agree. They are GREAT cars, don't get me wrong. They are very safe, but they really are still in "beta" and for that reason have alot of kinks that need working out.