The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 354 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
That's quite a bad bottleneck in BF4, if the GPU is only getting to 50%

NEVER buy a used AMG benz over 2-3 years old. That cl65 will cost between $10,000-$20,000 a YEAR to maintain and keep running. That would be the worst mistake you could make :lol:

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Yep, read my edit xD. I got over excited. It explains why my friend was so eager to get away from his 06-ish s600 amg xD

I had about 8 slices of pizza in 3 hours and sat in a chair in front a computer for 2+ hours, typing in cmd and making batch. I'm used to it.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I got a canned of compressed air and a screw driver and cleaned my laptop (crossfire 8750m 2gb with an a10 apu), and OH MY GOD. There were HUGE dust bunnies, and a few sprays here and there, and it went from literally comparable to a hair drier to QUIET in game. Cold air comes out of the exhaust often time, WHAT IS THIS WITCHERY? Anyways, dust it out, it makes a GIGANTIC difference, did it to a ton of old machines, and the difference seems especially noticeable in laptops.

Well my 2tb HDD finally gave up the ghost and failed completely. I ran to Microcenter today and treated myself to a Samsung 850 EVO and a 1tb WD blue. Paid $49.99 for the WD and $64.99 (despite what the sticker says) for the 850 EVO. I have spent the last 6 hours or so reinstalling Windows and all my apps/games and rescuing all the data I could off my old drive and I am finally nearing finished. It is 2am here so I think it is time for bed.

IMG_14491.jpg

RussK1

Splendid

Snow blowed a foot of snow @ 10pm last night. Trust me, your Santa Fe will be fine with all season tires with the minimal snow you see. Don't overthink it and just drive safe.

Buying a '94 Wrangler TJ Sunday. :)

I did venture down my driveway to go to work this morning. I slid a few feet at one point, but it wasn't too bad. The roads were mostly clear.
We're supposed to get more snow turning to ice this evening, which could bite a big one, as I'd hoped to go somewhere in the morning.

Russ, what motor and trim level? Lockers? Manual I assume? Those things are too much fun. A friend at school had a TJ with the 4.0L and front+rear lockers on 35s. That thing was impossible to get stuck, short of driving into a lake.

RussK1

Splendid

Stock gears (yuck) but air lockers in the front diff. which I'm not a big fan of but better than none. Trimmed down flares, sliders, smitty bilt front bumper and winch (12k I believe). 4" lift, 35" Pro comp Mud tires.

No doubt manual. :) Auto in a Wrangler is blasphemy! And yeah, the only one's I'm considering is with the 4.0L. Gear it out and can get lots of torque at the wheels although the motors are older and still be road worthy.

I know it needs tie rods and front passenger side quarter panel needs metal work. Floor boards have been tended to and replaced. Frame has a tender spot next to the R/R shock. Sunday I'll take a closer look and check the significance of rust throughout. If bad, then there's another '89 YJ I can look at from California with a fully rebuilt straight 6 W/ manual tranny. Then it'll turn into a TJ vs YJ pro's/con's for me.

^ The most fun vehicle to be in both as a driver and a passenger!

They are! But the older Scouts, Rovers, Broncos and Power Wagons are fun too. Anything with a short wheelbase.

RussK1

Splendid

Def. on the "to do" list. First is making sure it's rigid and safe. I'm in Vermont where salt is generously applied to the roads. And Jeeps are notorious for collecting the mineral because of the tub/frame style and people neglecting their rides. An oil coat goes a long way in rust prevention and it's cheap.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015
My dad told me that he's tired of recording crappy quality video from his 'Russian movie recording PC"

I looked on why, and he has S-video, running from the GPU, then connecting to a dvd recorder, and he's recording from that DVD recorder, to DVD. I looked at his resolution, OF COURSE, It's displaying at a 4;3 resolution, and he's upscaling it to fit his 1080p tv haha.

I offered to find him a new way on recording his russian movies, and I came up with using a HDMI cable, and maybe a capture card that can record everything to his PC, to his HDD instead.

The problem is.......what kind of capture card do I need?

My mom was also interested in getting a tablet for herself. I haven't bought anything for her birthday yet, and she always ask for my help with her Samsung galaxy S3. Like, why her audio lowered, or turned off, and how to take pictures. I can't blame her, she's in her 60's now, and was born in the good USSR (Where technology was rare in her time)

Was thinking about getting her a Ipad mini, or something bigger for her eyes to see properly.

I can't believe how many people don't get their cars undercoated/oiled in the winter. I have done it with all my cars every year.

Has anyone played The Crew? Totally addicted right now. And Nvidia has this DSR thing that upscales your resolution. I was skeptical at first but I'm playing now in 1440p on my 1080p monitor and it's noticeably more detailed and looks great!

Yeah it's not simulator status, but it's really fun to drive across the US in cars you can't afford. I would definitely check it out as a racing enthusiast. It falls somewhere between Gran Turismo and Need for Speed for me.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
I loved NFS. Emphasis on Loved when I was little. I might have to go to Chuck e Cheese, and their games are mildly entertaining. Oh manual with no clutch, how unrealistic. The only game I ever likes was the Terminator one.