The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Onus - Awesome Rig you got there! Cabling is pretty good. People really name their PC's? Wow, I guess Ill name mine BERTHA :p And yea, remove the TOP HDD cages if their empty, if not, switch the position.

StickG1 - So you mean like just use IBT, an hour before i sleep, than when thats done , Prime95 over night and if it doesnt crash i when i wake up ill play games as a stress test and if its ok for how long? and use it and see if it crashes after a week than raise the voltage than lower the frequency/ Vise versa?

Every PC I build gets a name. Phoenix is so named because it rose from the "ashes" of another machine that had a VRM fail. Most of its parts came from that one.
Omega was so named because when I planned it out and built it, I anticipated it being the last PC I'd need to build for myself for some time (pics later). Regrettably, I had accepted the hype that Bulldozer would be a solid performer. That said, with the FX-8320 in it, it certainly does not suck. Although outperformed by Phoenix, it is actually my current "daily driver," though that may change.
My open testbed, Abomination, is so named (was just "Test") because it has an excellent mobo and other top-rated parts, but its last CPU was a mere Pentium, and it is not living anywhere near its potential. If motherboards had feelings, it would be sorely depressed by its role.
My latest project, Gypsy, was built to be able to wander like its namesake; very small but very capable. It may become my "daily driver" in the near future.
Pics of these others will be (slowly) forthcoming.

I'm in love with my Z77 MPOWER and latest Ivy chip. I can't even believe how easy it was to hit 5.1GHz last night. I even overclocked 4 sticks of Hynix MFR to 2600MHz like it was nothing.

It's so rare to get a 5GHz sub 1.4v 3570K with a 2600 capable IMC as well. It's usually one or the other on the i5's.

It pleases me lol. I love the classified cards they never disappoint. The other gpu in the pic there is a old gtx560ti classified and that thing ran bf4 on high with lighting on medium and maintained 55+ fps. Was a great card and overclocked like a champ while staying super cool. This card i havent really overclocked much except this morning just for a quick test and it ran superb.

the new amd cards do run a tad hot so if you up your core clock mhz you may also want to create a custom fan profile. I would watch a youtube video on overclocking that card and get a walkthrough on it. Normally adding 50-100mhz on top of the stock clocks are normal and for some cards max. You can also overclock the ram on the video card. Just always monitor temps closely for a little bit after an overclock.

Eh, my GPU is a beast. Ill keep it as is. If I dont like what I will get in BF4, Ill OC it a bit. But my GPU is fairly new and its a 280x so not many videos of this specific one is out as to the bitcoin mining craze and stores having it in stock issues.

I can't name your PC. You have to do that, with its purpose firmly in mind, and each part you selected. You must place your unique brand on it.

ehhh....team green...is that a term for nvidia? xD

Few questions for the people on here.

Onus and StickG1 - You guys prefer AMD or Nvidia GPU's? Debated between a 770 and a 280x and sometimes i wish i got the 770 cause intel and nvidia is what all "youtubers" get so im still confused but not in regret.

I was mining before, and AMD is the ONLY choice for that. Omega now has a GTX650Ti, which has been enough for my recent needs. If I were in the market for another graphics card, it would likely be a GTX760. I wish someone made a single-slot, low-profile card stronger than the HD7750; that would jump to the head of my list.

I buy AMD, Intel, and nVidia.

I needed a powerful AMD GPU this time around. At $375, the price I paid for my 290, it was excellent price/performance ratio. For $500, no thanks.

I switch hardware a lot. I overclock, benchmark, and mess around with different chips/platforms first and foremost. Gaming isn't a priority for me.

If gaming and a sub $1000 budget were my priority I would have an i5/FX83X0 and GTX 760 and just stick with it. I've gone through six or seven motherboards and CPUs, and about a dozen GPUs in the past year. But that's my hobby and that's what I like to do.

StickG1 - Awesome hobby. You're married and you have a Job so you can do that but I have to get something and stick with it until I have cash for an upgrade (Since Im in Highschool)

Going to bed now. Before I leave, Let me clear things out.

TO OC CPU: manual voltage, turbo off, RAM @ XMP auto, rest on auto. Raise CPU ratio to 45 (4.5GHZ) AND volts at 1.2v. If it crashes, raise Volts to 1.25 or lower to 4.4 ghz and so on until its good using IBT, PRIME 95 and like Real temp for tempreture checking, unigine, anythimg for that will work.

TO OC GPU: Get GPU Z, MSI after burner and Heaven benchmark, raise GPU clock to 1240 and memory to 1650 (cause people with this gpu get around there) and if thats safe, try going a bit higher, if not, go at around gpu clock at 1220 and memory 1630 and so on.