Question The motherboard will only boot with 2 sticks of ram

Jul 9, 2024
So yesterday I made a terrible mistake when installing a new CPU cooler after my AIO gave out on me after almost 3 years. When tightening the bracket to secure the cooler in place I overtightened it way too much and bent 3 or 4 pins on my ASUS z390-e. after relatively returning the pins to their original position with a safety pin my computer will only accept 2 sticks of RAM at a time.

I don't believe this issue is related to a bad stick of RAM or a bad slot because they work in all kinds of different configurations, it simply doesn't boot when over 2 sticks are inserted. Additionally, the cooler bracket is not super tight on the motherboard.

Upon first boot, after removing the CPU and "repairing" the pins with 2 sticks of RAM installed I was required to enter the setup because the motherboard detected a "new" CPU, I didn't make any changes and exited without saving. I'm not sure if that message could have changed any previously saved settings.

I guess my question is if I need to buy a new motherboard or if there is a setting in the BIOS that I'm unaware of.