The Next Round of CD-RW is on the way, 32X!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20011208/etc_cdrw.html" target="_new">link</A>

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Yeah - I upgraded from 8 to 16, so I figure I should allow myself to upgrade 16 to 32 - it's only logical, right? I cannot sit around for 6 minutes to rwite and close a 700MB CD, its outrageous - I want it done in 3 1/2...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Ahhhhhhh!! I don't care about write performance. When is RE-write performance going to improve. The fastest CD-RW has 10X re-write speed. That's more important.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

svol

Champion
You're right rewrite speeds do suck.
My CDWR can rewrite 8x but a lot of my CD are only capable for 4x, that's about 20 min writing, aaahhh :mad:

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I never saw the attraction with CD-RW. So much slower and with CD-R so cheap (less than $0.40/disk) I'd rather just cut a CD-R and be done with it.

I really don't have that much data I'd want to re-write over. Not when I can just throw 40 cents at it anyway.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I use CD-RWs as floppy drives. I save all my documents to a CD-RW and I modify them right off the CD-RW. You can't do that with a CD-R.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
True enough - I don't really have a need for that so it doesn't occur to me I guess. I always move stuff around via the 'net for convinience.

dhlucke

Polypheme
At this point I don't want to upgrade my CDRW drive. I'd rather they improved and lowered the cost of DVD-RAM drives. I think that would make much more sense. I just keep filling up CD case after CD case. It's almost as bad as back in the day when I had 250+ floppy disks. Let's move on and get rid of the floppy (which they're doing next year),CD and start working with DVD or larger storage technology.

Years ago I read an article where they had declasified military hardware where they could store a terrabyte of information on a CD-ROM. Anyone know what happened with that? They were hoping it would reach the market quickly, but it hasn't.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I use DVD-R and DVD-RAM - they are okay, price is one issue - although the drves and media are way down now. Now it is again speed.

In some instances it takes 14 minutes to close a DVD and ~ 1 hour to fill a 4.7GB DVD-R. That, for me, is too long.

I see the future as memory technology, not CDR/DVD whatever. When we can 'print' 1GB+ flash cards, and cpu power is such that compression will fit everything onto it we'll be in business.

Until then DVD R/RAM/RW has potential, but they need to sort out the multiple emergent standards. Having DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW is dumb (again).

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
"That's as fast as my CD-writer reads."

Heh.

Have you ever read all the posts where someone's cdrom shattered during spin up? There's a couple somewhere in Tom's place, but there are several others I've seen on Usenet and the web.

Plastic shrapnel in your leg/patella/forearm/neck/head/eye isn't cool. Punji pits sukk...

dhlucke

Polypheme
Here is the original article I was refering to:
<A HREF="http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/00/10/12/001012hndisk.xml?1012thpm" target="_new">http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/00/10/12/001012hndisk.xml?1012thpm</A>
<A HREF="http://www.dntb.ro/users/frdbuc/hyper-cdrom/hyper.htm" target="_new">http://www.dntb.ro/users/frdbuc/hyper-cdrom/hyper.htm</A>

And here is their competitor
<A HREF="http://www.c-3d.net/product_frameset.html" target="_new">http://www.c-3d.net/product_frameset.html</A>

I didn't re-read the articles or anyting and I don't know where it stands today.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dhlucke on 12/15/01 01:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Well looks like the constellation guys just (Nov) got $20m funding.

One of the solutions looks a little less promising...
Capacity: 10TB with extension to 100TB
Average data-transfer rate: 3Mb/s
Dimensions of CD-ROM-Drive: 80x150x300mm
Dimensions of CD-ROM: 10xø120mm
Thermic resistance: up to 550 deg. Celsius
Very high fiability
Stable in time (estimated to at least 5,000 years)

Okay it is big and lasts a long time, but by my calculator, a 10TB disk writing a 3Mbs takes approximately 39 days to fill. I think I spotted the flaw in the plan with that one.

The Constellation guys reckon their FMD will transfer up to 1Gbs which is a little more promising for a 10-100GB medium.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I agree. Either way my point was that I don't want to buy a new cd-rw with the same capacity only to burn a cd a couple minutes faster. I'd rather have one of these. I'll continue to use the cd-rw as a disk drive though. It's incredibly easy to transfer files, especially with winXP and I'm not so limited as I am with a floppy. But for mass storage of MP3's, video, and even programs I think this new technology is needed.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

G

I had a cd shatter on me in a 44x max drive, it was a cheap cd that came with a textbook, I have heard that the truex drives actually spin slower and have less heat though.

<font color=blue><i>Dude!, you're getting a boat anchor!</i></font color=blue>

simtis

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You had to metion TRUEX. I've had 2, a 42X and currently a 52X, the 42 broke and kenwood sent a 52 replacement. Neither drive reads my burnt CDs well and sometimes not at all. I read an article on this somewhere about a year ago. I would imagine this has been fixed in the new drives. Anyone have a 72X with this problem.

speak english not english

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
32x... impressive.
problem is, is there ANY media around taht can support that? and what about drive speeds?
the 24x is still pretty slow at the start of the media, due to the slin velocity required.

does it use multiple lasers?

also, that fluorescent CD idea has been around for 2 years now. i remember it ages ago. good to see its finally making the light of day :)
great for big backups

The only loyalties i have is to Performance, Cost
Reliability and the Truth.