The Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Review: Take Off Your Ti

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, Don Woligroski, your games selection is TWIMTBP heavy. HAWX2 and LP2 are bad sequels of some really bad games and they are nowhere near of being in the top of the most played games out there.

I understand that Nvidia wants the reviewers to include some games that blatantly favor their hardware (games that skew the final results) but a reviewer should think at the gamers' interest to be correctly informed not to Nvidia's interest to look better than they are.

Some transparency in what regards the the selection of the games featured in the reviews would help. What's the criteria? Nvidia's "review guides"?

When a GTX 460/768 is better than the HD 6870 in a game I smell a rotten fish. Where's your nose?

Very interesting. I'd probably recommend either going a little higher or a little lower; go full GTX560Ti or drop back to GTX460 or GTX550Ti (HD6950 and HD5770 if AMD); depending on what settings you're [not] willing to lower.

And, mosox, I understand your skepticism, but check out http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU11/203 where a GTX460 beats the HD6970. But hey, it's an outlier, and why articles like this one, as useful as they are in the general case, do not replace checking specific relevant benchmarks of the games you want to play.

the performance differences between ati and nvidia cards in some games are insane. Does anyone actually know the cause for this? do the manufacturers pay developers to cripple the opposition cards? or do they pay them to implement specific optimisations? whats the deal?

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
The OEMs must be blowing their heads off trying to scheduling so many useless models just so Nvidia can have a product at every $5 price range. They need to layoff some of the business side people and just hire more researchers.

G

In India nvidia 560ti cost = msi 6950 2gb with custom cooler so nvidia sucks with 560

vk_87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]The naming is certainly for marketing purposes. People are not attracted to lower numbers even when they are more fitting when it comes to new products.Yes companies exploit this but on the other hand would their product sell if they didn't? At-least now as well as it would otherwise.Take the Xbox 360 as a example. Its predecessor was simply "Xbox"It's not the 3rd console of the series and certainly isn't the 360th.The 360 is completely meaningless in the name when it comes to the product.They didn't want to name it Xbox 2 for the simple reason that loss of sales may occur because of the PS3's 3. They felt that some consumers may feel that because of the higher number the PS3 is superior and should buy that instead. As silly as this may sound to everyone they very likely are correct. Hence why the Xbox 360 was named such. But can you really blame them?Final note: I personally find the 360's name funny as it would mean the Xbox 360 by name would be right at where the Xbox is and not of any change.[/citation]

Its true. I have a friend who had to choose a GPU to go with his machine. he choose 9800GT instead of a 4850. this happened 2yrs ago. But hey, stoopid people do see the numbering.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]The $200 price point still offers more today than it ever has before.[/citation]

Well, that's the norm with newer technology, right?

[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]so that disable part can be flash to re-enable it?[/citation]

No, I don't think so.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]John Spring[/nom]Would've been nice if the GTX580/590 were listed as well.[/citation]

Why??

[citation][nom]vk_87[/nom]Its true. I have a friend who had to choose a GPU to go with his machine. he choose 9800GT instead of a 4850. this happened 2yrs ago. But hey, stoopid people do see the numbering.[/citation]

I think we should publish TH's Graphics hierarchy chart in the newspapers so that these guys can finally get it. In my country, some people still believe that the card with more memory is always better, sick.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]mosox[/nom]Once again, Don Woligroski, your games selection is TWIMTBP heavy. HAWX2 and LP2 are bad sequels of some really bad games and they are nowhere near of being in the top of the most played games out there. I understand that Nvidia wants the reviewers to include some games that blatantly favor their hardware (games that skew the final results) but a reviewer should think at the gamers' interest to be correctly informed not to Nvidia's interest to look better than they are. Some transparency in what regards the the selection of the games featured in the reviews would help. What's the criteria? Nvidia's "review guides"? When a GTX 460/768 is better than the HD 6870 in a game I smell a rotten fish. Where's your nose?[/citation]

I think Th use the most popular & HADRWARE TAXING games. take Mass Effect for example. It's popular but it doesn't tax hardware at all. If you have some recommendations for them, just write them in a comment. But to mention they have issues with their choice of games w/o suggesting a solution isn't getting us anywhere

[citation][nom]cronos177[/nom]Between the GTX 560 and HD6870 decision would mostly be based on AMD vs NVIDIA. Though, HD6870 is cheaper, consume less energy, and escalates better on CF[/citation]
Tru dat. I can see the endless questions now..

[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]The OEMs must be blowing their heads off trying to scheduling so many useless models just so Nvidia can have a product at every $5 price range. They need to layoff some of the business side people and just hire more researchers.[/citation]
Probably both.

[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]the performance differences between ati and nvidia cards in some games are insane. Does anyone actually know the cause for this? do the manufacturers pay developers to cripple the opposition cards? or do they pay them to implement specific optimisations? whats the deal?[/citation]
oops, I meant this.

verbalizer

Distinguished

I have the GTX 460 768Mb, no issues with it.
yes there are better cards but considering I got mine for $120 shipped...:D
the unit it's in isn't my gaming unit but my daily unit.
i do now and then shoot a few people on it..

3BRP

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
[citation][nom]bhougha10[/nom]I don't think that Crysis 2 should be included in these benchmarks until they have dx11. That's assumming they actually do something with DX11. If they don't, you should never include them again. I mean what's the point of showing this stuff for something that a 5 year old console can play.[/citation]
Completely agree with you - Crysis 2 doesn't deserve the privilege of replacing the original Crysis in benchmarks. It is Dx9, It doesn't look better, doesn't have built-in benchmarking tool, and doesn't allow any customization of graphics settings. This game will be forgotten soon.

maurbeast

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
i think that since most gamers will enable aa (pc config permitting) it is most useful to see benchmarks for as many game titles as possible with aa enabled. and unless i missed smth, then this article only has aa benchmarks for just 1 title.
after all, i recall cases where the balance has changed when turning on aa.
other than than kudos for the effort to write the article.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
I really don't understand the intense interest in the 560, 460, 5770, 5830, etc.

Untold pages are written over $20 in cost difference between two cards and yet most of the gamers will probably go to Starbucks and pay $4.50 for a cafe moca and not even think about it. The 560Ti is going for more than a 6950 on newegg and the 6870 kicks its ass in some games - what am I not getting here? The 560 and 6870 are essentially equal but the 6870 has superior video capabilities and eyefinity and it is a little cheaper.

Frankly I think all this introspection over $20 - $100 cost range is a waste of time. You would think that someone who wants to game could save their cafe moca money and move on up to a 6950 or even a 570. Right now you can get the XFX 1 GB 6950 for $209 on newegg which is less than the 560 Ti and though it wasn't shown in the comparison, if the 6870 beats the Ti in some games then the 6950 should smoke it.

I'm sorry, what is the rocket science here??? Why would anyone waste a moments thought on buying a 560 Ti when the 1 GB 6950 is less money, faster, plays video better, bit streams bluray and has eyefinity for those who want three screens?

Why is it worth anyone's time to fret over $50 - $100 price difference when gas is $4.50 a gallon? It's just silly.

Save your Starbucks. birthday and movie money and go to newegg or amazon and look for a deal on the 6950 if you want to game and are on a budget. As Tom's Hardware has repeatedly pointed out, you will get the best bang for your buck and a card that will play most games at their highest settings (sans Metro 2033, crysis, etc.)

Couldn't your time be more wisely invested than reviewing $50 price differences. Just a thought. I am glad these reviews show the performance - we need to see that and it's a valuable service. But really, unless your building a htpc or something picking a video gaming card is pretty simple right now considering that the low-end cards from nvidia and AMD have all sorts of problems.

verbalizer

Distinguished

little bitter are we.?

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

No I just think that a forum's time could be better spent than obsessing over $20 cost differences between video cards. It is more that I don't understand than I am bitter.

maverick knight

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
If people do research before buying, then there should not be any confusion at all. Nvidia releases cards to satisfy each budget sweet spot. ATI just try to compete with Nvidia with a different aproach. On paper ATI cards should be better overall because the power consumption is lower while deliveringthe same and sometimes even higher quality. I personaly like Nvidia better and if GTX 560 is better than the 460 for whatever reason it should be priced accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.