The Olympics Chose Windows XP Over Vista, 7

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Yeah, just saw the schedule. I was still under the idea that we were following the speculated path and I didn't check the results. Thanks for meanly bringing me up to speed.[/citation]Since we were discussing ice hockey, I assumed you had a backbone. Maybe basketball is more suited to your tastes. "He touched me... that's a foul."

PS: Don't take it personally. I'm badgering you because you support my opponents. You did say they were coming after USA, right? :)

joesapp37

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]Canada has ther Gold rapped up.US beat Canada because of two reasons:1) USA goalie (Hiller) stopped EVERYTHING, he was on fire, fantastic!2) Canada goalie (Brodeur) sucked!Canada outshot USA 2/1 and controlled the game. The score did not reflect this but when we meet in the final i predict 5-2 Canada Gold.[/citation]

Jonas Hiller played for Switzerland, (Also an awesome goalie) But it's Ryan Miller that's the #1 goalie for Team USA.

We'll see you nades in the finals if you can get passed the Slovaks.

perpetual98

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
How is this a news story? I'm assuming that when they were in the planning stages of the Winter Olympics (probably in 2008-2009) they weren't like, "Ok, Microsoft is coming out with a new OS in the fall of 2009, shall we install the Release Candidate on the 6000 laptops we will be securing?"

joesapp37

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]rajaton[/nom]Sorry, what was that USA? I couldn't hear you over our health care system.[/citation]

That was a low blow man.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Ran all three OS's (XP, Vista, and 7 in the last 24 hours). My green beast (i7 920, ASUS P6X58D, 6gb G-skil DDR3 1333) had XP 32 for a while, up'd to 7 64, halved boot times, massive improvement in every measure. System screams.

Work PC - Core2 Duo HP, E7200, 2gb DDR2 800 and XP 32 - bit of a dog.

Wife's HP - AMD 9550, 5gb DDR2 800, Vista 64...bit of a dog. Going to 7 in the next 2 weeks. Expect good things.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
vista and windows 7 benchmark lower than windows xp in almost every single task.

if windows xp can do what you need to be done why would you opt to do the same thing slower?

other than dx 10 and 11 is there any program that you are running or task that you need to get done that requires you to have windows vista or windows 7?

Because of my work, I have to use windows xp, vista and windows 7, in order to provide support for different computers.

I still prefer windows xp because for what I do personally, I don't need vista or 7 to do it so why would I want to do it slower?

if windows 98 supported the software and modern hardware that people use today, most people will still be using windows 98 today instead of windows xp.

(because windows xp doesn't like having more than 1GB memory, it is annoying but if you were to take a modern system and install only 1GB memory and use a video card and other hardware that still have windows 98 drivers available, then do benchmarks, you will see that windows 98 outperforms windows xp, windows vista and windows 7 easily.

most of the adoption of windows vista and windows 7 comes from new computers being sold with it preinstalled, but many people who buy their OS still like windows xp. and over here in NY, many of the smaller computer stores are doing really good business selling copies of windows xp.

even tomshardware has said it that no new version of windows has ever been faster than an older version, (windows vista benchmarks higher than windows 7 when it comes to CPU and memory performance)

if microsoft released dx 10 and 11 for windows xp, I bet you would see adoption for vista and windows 7 drop and people will move back to windows xp.

with good hardware and a stripped down startup, windows xp can boot in under 10 seconds (to reach a 100% ready to use fully loaded state)
it is also more responsive, since most content in xp is vector based and theres no extra eye candy thrown into every part of the OS, things are snappy, the menu system and other aspects of the OS respond instantly with barely any hard drive usage, but after XP where microsoft went crazy with eye candy, it is not as snappy and everything in the OS requires a lot more hard drive usage in order for the content to be loaded. and microsoft tries to compensate for this by preloading commonly used aspects of the OS into memory at startup, and if you disable that bandage of a feature, the OS becomes very sluggish while with XP it doesn't need any of that for things to respond instantly. it is a smaller OS and compared to vista and 7 every aspect of the OS is smaller and lighter weight, and guess what, it is faster to load less stuff, than it is to load more stuff.

everyone hating on older OS are doing it because they can only view things from a subjective point of view. (a subjective point of view is the reason why someone who is still using AGP will be angry that everyone is bashing AGP when ever a company releases a new AGP videocard but when that person upgrades to PCI-e, they them self will wonder why people still use AGP

from an objective point of view they will see things in a more scientific way and will see the good and bad of both sides and understand what works for people.

Look at windows xp, windows vista and windows 7 from an objective point of view. (when you do this, it is not about what you like, it is about what fits the need of the user of the product)

G

so a bunch of old farts would rather use a decade old OS for such a important game. So its no wonder the games had so many problems. How much different is XP UI vs Windows 7? Its not like the basics are not similar. That's like saying we want IE6 instead of IE7.

caliban007

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
It was a close game but WE won!!!!! Hopefully after a game like that, hockey got a few new fans.

I just started using Win 7 64bit on a new machine I built and I really like it so far. I have vista on my Gateway notebook which is a good 4 or so years old now and now that I have a new desktop I'm thinking I'm gonna wipe it and go back to XP!

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]Platypus[/nom]Since we were discussing ice hockey, I assumed you had a backbone. Maybe basketball is more suited to your tastes. "He touched me... that's a foul."PS: Don't take it personally. I'm badgering you because you support my opponents. You did say they were coming after USA, right?[/citation]
Maybe you're right, but I know someone who disagrees though: OUR GOLD MEDAL! :D

It wasn't an easy victory, I'll give you that. I almost crapped my pants when Parise scored at 28 seconds of the end of the game. Luckily, Sid the Kid saved the day with a great goal in OT!

Status
Not open for further replies.