The Olympics Chose Windows XP Over Vista, 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]jisamaniac[/nom]Marcus, we beat you once in the men's hockey. We'll beat you again in the finals! Best of luck.[/citation]

Id like to see that. The russians got raped in case you didnt watched.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Haha yes the states did beat us, but your goalie was the saving grace of your team, we had double the shots, coupled with bad luck (hit a few posts)

We steam rolled the russians 7-3 the other night, and the team is actually playing how it should now

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]excalibur1814[/nom]Da man, "Shall we simply push out the established XP platform, save man power and be damn lazy?"Employee's, "Yes, why actually do some work when we've been lazy for years and can do this standing on our heads?"Da Man, "cha-ching!"Lazy, lazy I.T.[/citation]

Your probably a whinny end user, arent you?

Here is the reality.

IT: Can we blow a few hundred thousand $$ on licenses and new PCs?
Upper Management: Is the old PoS still working relatively well?
IT: mostly
U Management: HELL NO.
IT: we better not harass them with Win7 Licenses if we want our new servers...

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Normal. The old platform is know "stable". The new platform is "unknow" and could be "unstable".

Company take more times to move in that kind of business since they doesn't need Direct X, theirs computers aren't for gaming.
And since they plan Windows 8 in 2012, the time laps is too soon to move to Win7.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
This is not shocking... XP is still out there more than vista and Windows7. You have people all over the world coming to help put the Olympics together which takes years of planning (like 8 years!). Windows7 came out a few months ago... Vista is not an option and WinXP works. So everything works, everyone is happy.

For the summer Olympics, I'd say there is a 99.5% chance that the computers will be Windows7. Don't see why not.

[citation][nom]ShqTth[/nom]I always been pushing 64bit. Vista 32bit was a mistake, it made it so companies were too lazy to develope for 64bit. Now I am glad 64Bit OS is almost on every PC, and 32bit is a thing of the past.Now with how well vista and windows 7 runs, there is just no point in Xp. Xp is just holding everyone back.[/citation]

Because you're an end-user, not a company or corporation trying to manage thousands of computers. Windows7 isn't quite vista. Vista sucks today almost as much as it did 3 years ago. "okay, we'll have our scores up and. er... sorry, the UAC is in the way.. GO*DA***IT!*!?!"

Yeah 64bit was important for vista, its a memory hog due to design defects in its memory handling (articles are here on this very site). so yea, people need 4~8GB to get good performance out of vista... oh WOW I have 4GB to browse the net and check emaiL! YEAH!!! Er, but the experince is ZERO difference on XP or Windows7 in 32bit with a 1GB computer. THAT is not impressive.

64bit is the future... but its STUPID to require 4~8GB of memory to do every day stuff. Thats a rather large jump from 1GB.

XP is not holding anyone back. if you feel this way, please provide everyone with a voucher to get a free copy of Windows7, paid out of your bank account.

I run XP on my 2GB Core2Quad desktop, I use Windows7 on my 1GB Core2Duo notebook (that came with XP on purpose). Three of my productivity programs barf or have problems under Win7... Feel free to send me $700 to pay for upgraded software so I can use Windows7 on my desktop.

Windows7 runs fine on my notebook with 1GB of RAM and in 32bit mode. Notebooks faster than mine and more memory that have vista are slower and those users complain about it or live with it. :)

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
the Olympics is a short duration event. you have to be productive immediately. so they decided to use the more familiar XP instead of 7. no Citius, Altius, Fortius (faster, higher, stronger) here. only familiarity, reliability and getting the job done.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]I got my daughter an Acer for Christmas and it has worked like a charm. It was by far the best value for the buck.[/citation]
I second that and love my 13" Acer Timeline. It came infested with Windows 7 but I immediately fixed the insecurity OS infestation with a distro of Linux.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]pei-chen[/nom]My office’s 32bit XP workstation crashes so often it accounts for 80% of my computer troubles (I also “handle” three PC in my home; 2 x64 Win7 and 1 x64 Vista)[/citation]
Then there is definitely something wrong with your set up. I service 133 computers in my office and less then .1% ever have issue's.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
They probably have their own software. And if you know it works why change? XP will live on for a long time, even unsuported. I have a feeling that summer will also be XP. They dont need fancy graphics, or DX11, or best in class gaming OS.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Olympic organizers opted to go with Windows XP because Windows 7 was "a bit too new to be used."
Translation : Our workers doesn't know anything about computers and were scared to use something new. Well, I guess that's actually a good reason.

BTW, go Canada! After we do to Sweden tonight what we did to Russia Wednesday, we're coming for you USA!

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]"both hockey squads are performing at exceptionally high levels."Ya'll hammered the Russian "Eurotrash" game, but the US still beat you.[/citation]
Canada has ther Gold rapped up.

US beat Canada because of two reasons:
1) USA goalie (Hiller) stopped EVERYTHING, he was on fire, fantastic!
2) Canada goalie (Brodeur) sucked!

Canada outshot USA 2/1 and controlled the game. The score did not reflect this but when we meet in the final i predict 5-2 Canada GOLD.

=============================================
As for this article:

Of course they used XP... Do you know any midsize/large organizations who have already adopted Win7? No way! Win7 is way to young to get all the testing done, and make sure everything is compatible. XP will work with everything out of the box and is perfect for the event as they needed immediate results.

jsschneidereit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]jamesedgeuk2000[/nom]If its running fully up to date with SP3 this means you either have a hardware problem or its being caused by some badly cded 3rd party softwarea fully up to date XP SP3 installation on quality hardware running decent software is as reliable if not more than vista/7[/citation]
It better be reliable after 10 years of updates and service packs... i know I'm gonna get smashed for this, but I just feel like xp is ancient and needs to be put to rest

G

I will use XP until they come up with a better OS. Very simply, no headaches and no one to blame...
It's just a free market in action.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
It's funny how Acer attempted to replace the laptop free of charge because of human error... try to get them to do that any other day of the year...

G

You will never buy a product which fully satisfies you so you can buy another product which in turn will never satisfy you so you can buy another product which will never satisfy you so on and on ...
Unfortunatelly that how market works or fortunately.
Just stick with Windows XP for awhile till a better option which is still works despite all nonsayers.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]BTW, go Canada! After we do to Sweden tonight what we did to Russia Wednesday, we're coming for you USA![/citation]BTW, go Clueless! Your guys are playing Slovakia. Sweden is out.

G

crap! I need a 10 GHz CPU !!! Cannot wait until that day I will see my PC throwing rocks into the sky !!! hah

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]Platypus[/nom]BTW, go Clueless! Your guys are playing Slovakia. Sweden is out.[/citation]
Yeah, just saw the schedule. I was still under the idea that we were following the speculated path and I didn't check the results. Thanks for meanly bringing me up to speed.

boredreader

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Of course Windows XP! But that doesn't mean XP is still superior, its just more familiar.

imo i'd take Windows 7 over XP anyday. Only a cheapo who doesn't want to upgrade will still complain that 7 still takes up too much resource and is slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS