The Real Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 Specifications

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

socialassassin

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
. In practical application the only way users would naturally run into a situation where they are using more then 3.5 but less then 4.0 GB of graphics data is to run at settings that would likely be a slideshow for this card. The 970 doesn't do 16x AA 4K Ultra settings, and contrary to what most people think it's the AA that use's all the memory. You can run 1440P no problem, even 4K, provided you don't try to max out the AA setting (AA cause's a 2~4X increase in memory texture sizes, sometimes more).
This is incorrect. Simply playing Shadow of Mordor at 1080p on Ultra or even Very High settings, my vram goes over 3.5GB and I do experience performance drops.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Im worried because I have a 4k tv and will go over the 3.5gb at some point. Its able to play all games at 4k currently with custom settings but the difference between 4k with no antialising is awesome compared to 1080p with 4x antialising

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

What do the specs matter if the performance is the same? It can have 120Gb of Vram but if has a 64-bit interface, the amount of VRam wouldn't matter. If its living up to the horsepower the company has mentioned (which it does) previously it shouldn't matter what the specs are in between. For anyone that needs to keep track of the specs due to job requirements would be going to a workstation graphics anyhow.

RoHunter87

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
I'm sorry but it's really not anything like the car has less Valves.... Comparing to the GTX980 it's more like the 980 is a car which is advertised to be able to drive @300kmh whihe the 970 is a car advertised to run @270kmh.

The actual problem is that while the 980 car drives absolutely fine @300 kmh, the 970 car is juddering violently and starts braking from time to time at it's advertised 270kmh... I wouldn't like to drive a car like that... Better limit it to what it's capable of 24x7... e.g. a nice, safe and sufficient 260kmh.

So... no, it's not just a wrong spec on a piece of paper, the actual performance suffers...

alexe3

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
Honestly I feel that the fact that we're getting around 13% less ROPs/L2 than we were led to believe at the time of purchase, buyers should receive at least 13% of the price they paid back, Honestly probably more because this is a lie. I don't buy that a chip manufacturer didn't notice they had completely incorrect specs for 4 whole months...

i definitely agree on the misleading specs and flat out false advertising. but saying you wouldn't have got the 970 if you knew this without saying what alternative card one was going to purchase is confusing to me.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
False GPU Specs and a driver that burned GPUs. Strike two for Nvidia in my book. I guess Maxwell's improved memory efficiency really saved the day. To the best of my knowledge, AMD has never done any of those things.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Dedicated GPUS are a PC enthusiast item purchased mostly by very tech informed consumers and Nvidia knows that segment they are marketing to. Passing off advertised specs of 4GB as 3.5GB (in most cases) regardless of intent, is unacceptable and a major detriment to Nvidia's brand. Rightfully so they are now in damage control mode. Offering some game package or something of that nature would be an insult.

I suggest Nvidia offer to replace each 970 buyer -with original proof of purchase- to date, with the equivalent fully functioning 4GB GTX 980, in good faith. The buyerr must return the prior GPU to be collected by Nvidia. As far as I am concerned that's the only thing that's going to fully restore Nvidia's credibility with me. What a let down!

there have been plenty of so called false advertising in computer components, cpus that will not run at their rated speeds, ssds that do not have the space advertised, monitors that do not come close to their rated refresh... the list goes on and on. nvidia may offer a full refund of you would like to return the card, but thats about it. at best users might get a free game or an offer to upgrade to gm210 in a few months.

Mike Coberly

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Have any of the major online retail outlets changed to reflect the (truthful) information; therefor informing potential customers of the problem?
No, they have not. Continued false advertising. And to think, people hate on AMD all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.