The screws for the motherboard aren’t right

rxalityy

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017
I have all my parts for my new computer. Me and my dad got everything on the motherboard ready (ram, cpu, cpu cooler) and decided to finally install it in my case. while putting in the last two screws, we realized that when the motherboard is in the correct position for the I/O shield, these last two standoff screws don’t go all the way down into the screw hole since the motherboard is raised. we went to home depot to look for a longer screw, but they didn’t have it. i just want to find a stand-off screw that’s longer than the one already provided for most cases.
specs:
motherboard: as-rock fatal1ty z270 gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151
cpu: intel i7-7700K 4.2 Ghz quad-core
cpu cooler: scythe BIG shuriken 2 Rev. B 45.5 CFM SleevE Bearing Cpu cooler
case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

hope someone has an answer, thank you

Solution
If the motherboard is not sitting flat, parallel with the mounting plane of the chassis, something is wrong. If some of the motherboard stand-offs are not coming up to the same height, something is wrong. If you need longer screws for some stand-offs or the thread pitch is different, something is wrong.

I recommend you remove the motherboard and figure out why some of your mounting holes seem to require longer screws. All of the mounting screws should be of the same length. Verify that you installed all of the stand-offs in the correct locations and that they are all fully threaded in, and none are higher than others.

rxalityy

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

rxalityy

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017
i don’t think i worded it correctly. i am putting in my motherboard first, and the two screws that are nearest to the I/O shield don’t work. we figured out that the motherboard is raised higher and the screws don’t reach the hole. i’m looking for an alternative screw or some sort of fix.

Simon Anderson

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
hmm that sounds annoying! We don't have home depot here... but i'm assuming that's like a hardware store yeah? Try an electronics store instead? I know the electronic stores here sell stand offs ('Jaycar 'in oz) you'd wanna get the right sized standoff rather than trying to use an extra long screw to reach a distant stand off... might get vibration problems

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
What do you mean by 'the motherboard is raised higher'? The motherboard should be flat/straight, all the standoffs should be the same height if you are using the ones included with the case.
Make sure there is nothing behind the motherboard preventing it to sit on all the standoffs.
This shouldn't be an issue, but make sure the motherboard is still straight and you haven't over tightened the CPU cooler screws and warped the motherboard.

If the motherboard is not sitting flat, parallel with the mounting plane of the chassis, something is wrong. If some of the motherboard stand-offs are not coming up to the same height, something is wrong. If you need longer screws for some stand-offs or the thread pitch is different, something is wrong.

I recommend you remove the motherboard and figure out why some of your mounting holes seem to require longer screws. All of the mounting screws should be of the same length. Verify that you installed all of the stand-offs in the correct locations and that they are all fully threaded in, and none are higher than others.

Solution