[SOLVED] The State of Arm on Windows

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
I'm brand new to ARM. I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Book Go.

I'm a youtuber, who is planning to review this. But I am very ignorant on ARM... Can you please enlighten me?

I'm trying to understand arm. From what I understand, there aren't many, if any programs built directly for ARM. Instead you have 32 bit and 64 bit programs, not made from ARM. These are emulated and they take a performance hit by being emulated.

1: What is the state of 32 bit apps/programs that are emulated? How much of a performance hit will I see with 32 bit applications?
2: What is the state of 64 bit apps/programs that are emulated? How much a performance hit will I take with these?
3: How can I tell which apps and programs are emulated and how can I tell what is "Built for arm"? I heard Microsoft Edge was built for ARM, but how can I tell that a program is built for arm upon installation?
4: Is there anything else I need to know? I'm going to try to run some SUUPER old games like oblivion and skyrim just to see how they do. For testing. Is there anything else I need to know? Any specific things from the windows store that work better? What are the best arm applications to use?

Sadly I use google drive and google chrome for everything, and it looks like Chrome STILL has not made ARM for windows, even though they made it for the M1 within like a week. Sad day.
Anyway, please let me know what I need to know, it helps a ton, thanks!

Solution
I'm trying to understand arm. From what I understand, there aren't many, if any programs built directly for ARM. Instead you have 32 bit and 64 bit programs, not made from ARM. These are emulated and they take a performance hit by being emulated.

1: What is the state of 32 bit apps/programs that are emulated? How much of a performance hit will I see with 32 bit applications?
2: What is the state of 64 bit apps/programs that are emulated? How much a performance hit will I take with these?
3: How can I tell which apps and programs are emulated and how can I tell what is "Built for arm"? I heard Microsoft Edge was built for ARM, but how can I tell that a program is built for arm upon installation?
4: Is there anything else I need to...
It's windows (running) on arm, not arm on windows.
1 and 2 depend on how the CPU does it, if it has virtualization (meaning it has a lot of the same instructions) like modern desktop CPUs it could be very small if it has to translate every x86 instruction into arm instructions on the fly then it would take a heavy hit.
3. going to the website and reading up on it, they will advertise the fact that the code is ported to arm, or send the developers an email and just ask them.

Reactions: SamirD
I'm brand new to ARM. I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Book Go.

I'm a youtuber, who is planning to review this. But I am very ignorant on ARM... Can you please enlighten me?

4: Is there anything else I need to know? I'm going to try to run some SUUPER old games like oblivion and skyrim just to see how they do. For testing. Is there anything else I need to know? Any specific things from the windows store that work better? What are the best arm applications to use?

Sadly I use google drive and google chrome for everything, and it looks like Chrome STILL has not made ARM for windows, even though they made it for the M1 within like a week. Sad day.
You don't make anything "from ARM" it's just another processor. What is made is OS and programs that work with ARM processors. MS has a version to run on ARM systems.

Reactions: SamirD

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
I think you need to be doing a lot more reaching and understanding of what you're going to be presenting otherwise you're going to be just another twit spouting off garbage in another garbage yt video.

Haha that's why I'm asking here for advice!

I'm doing the research, and asking people who are tech experts 👍.

I primarily review Android Phones and tablets. I'm pretty tech savvy, but I need any info on arm. I won't spout off stupid twit stuff because I'll only say what I'm informed about. After all, I'm reviewing a specific laptop.

The main information I need to know is what popular programs or apps work well on arm. If there's a list somewhere it's helpful. It looks like Chrome and other 32 bit applications are emulated. And 64 bit applications aren't working at all as of now, unless it's built directly for arm.. I see Microsoft Edge is built for arm. Other then that I don't have a list of apps. I'm trying to find a way to differentiate to help people know the difference between a traditional laptop and the Galaxy Book Go. What apps use the full power of arm? What uses a much slower emulation process and what doesn't work at all? If any of you know these things let me know!

Haha that's why I'm asking here for advice!

I'm doing the research, and asking people who are tech experts 👍.

I primarily review Android Phones and tablets. I'm pretty tech savvy, but I need any info on arm. I won't spout off stupid twit stuff because I'll only say what I'm informed about. After all, I'm reviewing a specific laptop.

The main information I need to know is what popular programs or apps work well on arm. If there's a list somewhere it's helpful. It looks like Chrome and other 32 bit applications are emulated. And 64 bit applications aren't working at all as of now, unless it's built directly for arm.. I see Microsoft Edge is built for arm. Other then that I don't have a list of apps. I'm trying to find a way to differentiate to help people know the difference between a traditional laptop and the Galaxy Book Go. What apps use the full power of arm? What uses a much slower emulation process and what doesn't work at all? If any of you know these things let me know!
ARM makes processors that can be used in all kinds of different systems with wide performance and other details. You would have to pick some kind of device using it and write about it, just ARM says nothing. That's just like saying Linux without quoting a distro or saying Windows without the version.

While it's true that apps are developed these days with programming languages that are CPU agnostic, these apps must still be compiled and built to run for a CPU. As far as the 32-bit and 64-bit difference goes, it mostly pertains to what version of that CPU you plan to run the program on. 32-bit apps can run on both 32-bit and 64-bit CPUs without performance penalty, because the 64-bit CPU is effectively designed on top of the 32-bit one. However, 64-bit apps cannot run on 32-bit CPUs because they lack the necessary features to support 64-bit apps.

As far as Windows for ARM goes, I believe a lot of apps from the Microsoft store can run on ARM without issue. However, some apps, namely high profile 3D games, don't run on ARM, but I believe they may be filtered out of the store so you can't download them anyway.

It's because Microsoft basically abandoned Windows for ARM when Intel decided to sue Microsoft and ARM for trying to make a decent emulator, claiming Microsoft was violating NDAs.

Or at least that's the last time I heard anything about it. They may still be working on it on the sidelines.

Solution